“A harmonious and peaceful place to rest, reflect and recharge in Adeje, South Tenerife” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Cristoforo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Adeje
Hacienda Cristoforo
You added Hacienda Cristoforo to your Saves list
Calle El Horno, 10 | Playa Paraiso, Adeje, Tenerife, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Adeje B&B and Inns
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have visited Hacienda Cristoforo three times and will return again in December. Hacienda Cristoforo is really an "environmental therapy" retreat in the Canary Islands. It includes beautiful gardens with integrated volcanic stone houses with hand-crafted wood and works of art and sculptures - all created by its charming owner and architect, Denis Devaris who is there to welcome the guests.

The individual houses have a nice warmth to them. My favourite is Cinco Peldanos (Five Steps). I have included a photo.

During the day you can just rest by the rock pool, which is fed by a "stream" of water cascading through "flow forms". Holistic therapies are available if you wish, such as massage which I enjoyed very much. There were also Yoga classes and Reiki available, amongst other therapies .

I enjoyed the presence of a small Waldorf kindergarten crèche that is on the property. The children attend from 9am till 2pm and visit the gardens at a set time singing and playing happily with their teachers.

Restaurants, shops and beaches are only a 5 minute drive by car, which I found very convenient. A nice public beach very close is called Callao Salvaje where they also have a good restaurant overlooking the beach. My favourite beach was El Duque.

All of these factors combine to make Cristoforo a harmonious and peaceful place to rest, reflect and recharge.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

First of all I must say that I don't understand the negative reviews expressed here. The owner is charming and genuine, who welcomes people to the oasis that he built himself over around 40 years. I cannot imagine that events happened as described, as it goes against everything I have witnessed there. The Hacienda Cristoforo is completely unique. Each house is built from simple materials (mostly wood & stone) and every one has its own character, making up what is a little like a medieval (in a good sense) village. It is a place that just makes you smile, due to the immensely human(e) way everything was designed (serendipity, simplicity, love for nature come to mind). Don't expect 24-hr pampering...this is not that kind of place: This is a place to relax and enjoy a break from pressures of everyday life and soak up nature and the genuine atmosphere, away from consumerism and the usual standardised and sometimes de-humanising tourist offerings that are dished out by the tourist industry...

Room Tip: Look at the plan of the village to see what you want to be close to (pool, reception etc).
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have visited Cristoforo many times. When entering the gates one immediately feels calmer and free of all the stresses of the modern world. Everywhere you look there are antique artefacts carefully nestling within the beautiful gardens that creates an overall ambience of tranquillity and charm.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Battle, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you decide to go, proceed with caution. In my opinion they make up the prices depending on your nationality and their own judgement of what they think you can afford.
Having hoped for peace and tranquility, the enjoyment of my holiday was spoilt by the owner's greed and I left with a stressful experience where he tried to fleece me for an extra 200 Euros and attempted to get in my car to avoid me leaving when I refused to pay it. He even had the audacity to say that I arrived there with "mal intentions" - Unbelievable and a total contradiction to the image of peace they try to portray.
I stayed there for 10 nights with my 3yr old daughter on the recommendation of a friend. At the time of booking I was quoted a price of €50 per night. I specifically asked about my daughter and was told the price was per room not per person, that I would receive email confirmation and be required to pay a deposit. A few days before, when I heard nothing, I contacted my friend who was already there and she said she checked and it was all fine.
When I got there, the guy I had been dealing with had left, and the owner and new receptionist told me it would be an extra €20 per night as my daughter was over 2. They accepted no responsibility for the miscommunication and expected me to pay the extra, offering a discount of just €25.
I advised that they should publish their prices on their website, in their office and confirm with guests before they arrive, not surprise them when they get there. Incidentally they produced a price list some 3 hours after I challenged them on it - I will leave you to make your own judgements about that.
My room was nice, but had no fridge or kettle and I had no hot water for more days than I had hot water. My room was cleaned once, I had to ask for towels and toilet paper and empty the bins myself. I would never go back and I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have already stayed twice in this great place of peace and calm. The first time in March and second time in May 2013. The environment is simply beautiful with all the different houses, outdoor swimming pool, trees and flowers, and the lovely yoga space; it's like a little village. All the different stone houses are absolutely wonderful and have their unique characteristics and beauty. (I've stayed in 3 different houses: Bella Durmiente, 5 Peldanos, La Granja.) In May after five nights of sleeping really well I felt totally rested and relaxed. At night it was really quiet and peaceful, which is sometimes difficult to find for someone like me who is very sensitive to noise. Warmly recommended!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I had heard great things about Cristoforo and recently, badly in need of a change of scene, I booked a week there. I just wanted sun and rest, food and water and a comfortable bed... My first impression was of a green oasis, a little paradise full of colours - the flowers, the amazing range of trees and bushes, the mountains in the background, and full of sounds - the sound of water trickling down the flowform fountains, the sound of many birds and the cackling of hens and baaing of lambs in the tiny farmyard within the hacienda.. oh and also the sound of music and laughter! :)
As to the facilities, my accommodation was a lovely small house of stone and reclaimed wood, with whitewashed walls and cool reddish tiles. It consisted of one large room, a rustic bathroom with shower and sink only, and a sunny terrace.
Cooking facilities were not available in my little house, I only had a fridge but had access to a large and well equipped kitchen onsite.
I loved the outdoor swimming pool, a small but beautiful watery space. I also had access to a lovely space for yoga and meditation, a choice of holistic therapies and activities.
There were a few minor drawbacks as nothing is prefect. I only had hot water sporadically as the wind kept blowing out the pilot light! and the shops are a good 20mins downhill so it is a good idea to stock up initially (and wear comfortable shoes!). Buses run hourly and stop just outside the Hacienda and taxis are easy to get. There are lovely excursions available from the local area to the sites of Tenerife.
I felt very comfortable at the Hacienda from the beginning. Denis and his team were very welcoming and helpful in a discrete way, which I appreciated. For a week, I lived in close contact with nature and feel rejuvenated!! I wholeheartedly recommend Hacienda Cristoforo and definitely will be back. Marie-Helene
i

Room Tip: Hacienda Cristoforo has a number of houses for different needs, individual or for large groups, with...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We called before we booked to ask if during our stay the place would be quiet during the day. We were told there would be some kids but that it would be quiet. We wanted to sleep during the morning but all we could hear was kids! It was noisy.

We asked to move but were told it was not possible. I explained we wanted quiet and we asked before we booked but I was told it was not possible to move us to a quieter place.

We also asked, before we booked, if in the evening there would be any events or parties. We were told there would be some private parties with families and friends. We asked if that would be quiet and were told that parties would be in people's accommodation assuring us that it would be ok. That night the 1 hall had a really big sound system with a big party and the other hall (on the other side of our accommodation) had a HUGE sound system with a bigger party. The music went through the whole night and stopped at 11am. I felt like I was in the middle of a loud night club dance floor the whole night.

After that we left and tried to get more sleep for the last few days on the island.

I asked for a refund but the owner did not reply.

If we were told the truth about the kids and the parties we could have chosen different place to stay and other people could have enjoyed themselves. The place could be so beautiful and it could be a nice stay if the owner did not lie.

(travel was Dec 2011 but that is not on drop down menu so the earliest was chosen of feb 2012)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hacienda Cristoforo? Share your experiences!