“Playa Real / Ocean Palace” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Real Resort

You added Playa Real Resort to your Saves list
Playa Real Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Avenida Moscu 111, 38670 Adeje, Tenerife, Spain (Formerly Ocean Palace Resort)   |
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Adeje
Scotland
“Playa Real / Ocean Palace”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Booked this 6 night holiday through "On The Beach". Cost for the hotel element was about £167 all inclusive. Booking was for the Ocean Palace in Adeje, Tenerife.

Arrived at the hotel it has no sign or name outside it. All menus etc. are branded as "Playa Real".

Good Points
Bearing in mind the cost this hotel was OK, you get what you pay for. Rooms were big enough and clean. Reception helpful on several occasional and all seemed to speak good English. Common areas and pools clean. Food varied and OK.

The hotel has two big pools. It is a brisk 15 minute walk to the beach.

In general staff polite and hard working

All inclusive bar service satisfactory. Reasonable brands, self service beer and soft drinks.

Bad Points
Arrived at 6.30 pm on a Sunday Night. Allocated a room very quickly and efficiently. when we got to the room it had not been cleaned after the last guests. went back to reception with suitcases and invited to go for dinner and come back in 1/2 an hour.

Was given the key to put cases in a "secure" luggage area. The consists of an area separated from a corridor by a 2 foot wall with 2-3ft wrought iron fence on top. It was not locked, I was not escorted and any one could easily climb over the top of the fence.

An hour later we went back to reception. Our room was still not ready but we were immediately upgraded to a junior suit room (Plus point).

There were no coat hangers in the wardrobe in the room for for the entire length of our stay (nor did I bother asking for any).

The WiFi (20 euro a week) was regularly down and sessions quickly timed out.

One night (about 8.30 pm) I could not access the electronic room safe (2 Euro's a night). I reported this to reception within 10 minutes a maintenance guy attended. He opened the safe, but could not affect a repair. The safe was swapped over with an other (Good point).

One day at the Pool Snack Bar a waiter took a fit because guests had left plates on a table and he had to take them to the servery himself. Guests round about got a mouthful from him and told to take their own empty plates back.

Bed linen and towels are only changed twice a week. This is the hotel policy and stated in the guest information pack. There is no room cleaning on a Sunday. Room cleaning that was done amounted to making the bed(s). The bath was only cleaned once during our stay.

Only one English speaking TV channel (BBC World news)

Overall Impression
This hotel has the potential to be 4 star but is not. There seems to be a barrier either through finance or staff training from them achieving that level.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Anyone going to this hotel has nothing to worry about, I have been to lots of all inclusive hotels and had a great time here, went with my daughter and grandson aged 5 and had a great time lots to eat and drink. kids club was fantastic hotel clean and staff very friendly just give them the time day hope this puts peoples minds at rest, JUST GO AND ENJOY IT :) PS try the spa its great.

Room Tip: Suites are a great size.
Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have just returned from a week in Playa Real Resort which was advertised as the Ocean Palace by Travel Republic. I went with my husband,son,daughter-in-law and tthree grandchildren. I was bthe one who recomended it as I had been at the Ocean Palace before and had enjoyed it on a half board basis. This time we went A.I. we were put in the adjoining flats rooms 406/407 although the rooms were clean enough but very tired decor with broken wardrobe and light shades in room 407 broken drawers fromts in 406. Breakfast was an absolute nightmare having to set own tables and having to queue up as no hot food in trays at nine in the morning so had practically beg for a fried egg or a piece of streaky bacon the poor woman who was doing the cooking was exhausted. Lunch was the same with empty trays at 2pm. Dinner was a lack of variety and what was on offer was very cold. You had to queue along the salad bar even if you did not want salad to reach the hot plates as it was all the one queue You had to beg for ice-cream for the children as only a dozen at a time was put in the pool bar fridge. they even ran out of ice-cream the last two days. Entertainment was non existent apart from a couple of games of bingo. Children had only 25minutes mini disco. The toilets in from the pool bar was always without toilet paper and the soap dispensers were not filled for 4 days. We have never complained about an AI hotel before but this one was dreadful and we have received far better attention food and entertainment. We felt really sorry for the staff as they were definately over worked. Only one person at the pool bar serving who also had the mann the snack bar and clear all the tables at the pool area. No other bars were open apart from the mini disco at night and the very little of what they called entertainment. It is a fair distance from any entertainment area. The staff were mostly all very pleasant. When we asked to speak to the manager we were told that they were in Germany. This hotel is living in its past laurels and since its change in management has gone really downhill. I was so disappointed as I was the one to recommend it. I dont usually pay too much attention of revievs but trust me and stay away. we will never return.

Room Tip: make sure you are in the main building
Wishaw, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

PRICE PAID:- family of three (my wife me and my mother in law) we paid £550 each one week all inclusive to tenerife for a one bedroom apartment flights cost £330 hotel cost £170 school week in october (14th-21st).

HOTEL:- from all the reviews i had read from the usual people who have nothing better to do except write reviews about budget cheap holidays than slate it till the death i was as everybody else probably else is about going a bit wary so when we arrived (5 in the morning due to a delay) we were given a room in the annex building we were happy with the room we were given agreeing with some people here, i must admit the rooms are a bit dated and the way the bathroom has been finished isnt the most professional as in the sealing round the bath which is misleading because it looks sloppy it looks dirty which it isnt the maid was at our door every day asking if we wanted our rooms cleaned and change the covers although there was a problem with the toilet rolls why i dont know so it was a free for all when the trolley was coming for toilet roll again not really an issue worth crying about and that aside the rooms were kept clean enough and the balconys in that area are great nice and big.

FACILITIES:- once the money is spent on this hotel it will easily be a 4 star but at the moment i would say its a 3 again there is alot of potential here the area we were at (annex building at the back of the hotel) had its own swimming pool and a bar which is nice although at full capacity i dont know if its big enough and has enough sunbeds to cater for all. At the main area there are 2 swimming pools and a pool bar (not swim up) this has alot more beds and seats here again at full capacity i dont know if there is enough but i must say we had no trouble any of the days we needed them there is also saunas and tennis courts to use and you get one free sauna per person whilst there. there is a themed restaurant we used this it was very small but the food was really nice in it its not buffet its menu and order drinks free of cost of course if you are all inclusive. The main restaurant next to the pool area again i dont think at full capacity could seat everybody in general it is terribly understaffed which surprised me for being under new management food needing replenished constantly it was nowhere near quick enough 3 days there was non ice cream i couldnt believe this wasnt really an issue for me but for kids its pretty poor the food i found there wasnt as much to choose from as has been at other all inclusive hotels but i think the reason for that is they dont want everybody to get bored of it there is always pizza there and just a couple of main course things to choose from and is was different every night we were there, the entertainment team are great they try their hearts out and are always smiling so fair play tol them because it isnt any worse than anywhere else i have been the barman was nice enough but wasnt very helpful.

DEPARTURE:- the staff i must say most of them are unhelpful nothing to do with the language barrier just do not want to do anything to help on departure day 12 o clock was the check out time but the maid opened the door at 11.35 saying sorry we have to leave she couldnt wait any longer and was quite abrupt until she saw the the 5 euro tip we were leaving her eyes near popped out her head and she wasnt long changing her attitude, we werent getting picked up until 8pm when we handed keys in at 11.45 our wristbands were cut and we could not use the facilities apart from the toilets so any food or drink we wanted had to be bought again pretty poor.

LOCATION:- this hotel is at the top of adeje just before the motorway to be honest the walk to the beach wasnt to bad about 10-15 mins but there is shops to occupy u on the way there is a nice little shopping centre just a few minutes from the hotel down a flight of stairs.

overall this is an average hotel food was nice rooms were kept clean enough although dated they were big enough the drink was nice enough and enough there to entertain young kids ie a small play area with swings and a couple of other things now i think if this hotel is given a bit of time to get over these niggles it will be a 4 star hotel and it will be able to compete with others on the market while we were there we saw alot of work getting done on the apartments tiling painting etc so they are spending money they need time just at the moment they have a couple of hurdles they need to overcome.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

My mother in law booked our trip to stay at this hotel for her 60th birthday. We read the reviews and to be honest were absolutely dreading the thought of having to stay at the hotel. On our arrival we were surprised as it wasn't as bad as what we had expected. Yes it's tiresome looking in the rooms and the food is repetitive and not necessarily the tastiest I've eaten but as I've titled this review "you pay for what you get" if you go to a hotel that's priced as this one is if you think it's going to be 4* your living in cuckoo land! I went to turkey in may and paid £300 more a person to stay in a 4* . I found the management rude (so I tried as little as poss to have to deal with them). Towels are sparse and barley big enough to cover my 5ft frame the rooms don't get cleaned every day but we just made do! The rooms are spacious and do the job, the pool needs to be re tiled our kids (5,2.5 & 3 years) kept coming to us with the loose tiles they had picked up around the pool!the only positive thing was natascha and jem from the animation team what a lovely pair of people they truly go far and beyond and our children adored them!!! Overall this is by far a 4* hotel it has the space and potential to be but unless they put some serious cash into the hotel it is just about a 3*! The hotel wasn't fantastic but then I never expected it to be for how much it cost. I do however feel after visiting myself that people are too picky about some of the things they have written. If your looking for a cheap n cheerful holiday then this hotel is fine if your Looking for luxury then you need to up your budget cos you really do pay for what you get.... In this case it's quantity not quality

• Stayed October 2011
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

• Stayed October 2011
cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

just returned from this hotel stayed in the appartments they are not a 4 star bitty things small amount of rust in bath and on mirrors towels only changed twice bedding once, the food was nice tends to run out fast and some times you have to wait awhile for it to be replenised location not good 15 minute to beach so you need to like walking fine but a fair way to go with children and stuff for beach and not enough information around clean tidy pool by apartments nice pool bar good friendly staff on the poool bars some on resption could be rude and not very Accommodating asked for a light on the day after we arriaved for bathroom didnt get one some people didnt get toilet rolls had to keep running after them to get them i think they are a bit tight on some things !!
picnics had 1 sqaushed sandwich water and pear and orange not very nice concidering the food is nice in resturaunt paid over the odds for what we expected a 4 star and it would only be a 2 to 3 lower end people were staying in the actual hotel rooms and less than half of what we paid so not thrilled about that!! steps every where you have to becarefull 3 people fell down stairs in a week so i would not recomend if your elderly

Room Tip: our transport arraived all most an hour early while we were in breakfast the man on reption rang our...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Playa Real Resort? Share your experiences!