“Good holiday” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nerja Club

You added Nerja Club to your Saves list
Nerja Club
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nacional 340 Carretera de Malaga Almeria, Km 293 | Frente a El Capistrano, 29780 Nerja, Spain   |
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Nerja
Lancashire
“Good holiday”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

Just got back from a week at the Hotel Club Nerja. Booked as a last minute allocated on arrival holiday with 1st choice. Thomson's also use this hotel.

Located at the far end of town in a residential area on the hill. This is a family run hotel with really friendly staff. Our room was fine there was a tv with BBC1 & 4, ITV, C4 & Sky Movies, an air con / heating unit, plenty of storage space. The only downside to the room is that we were on the ground floor so the windows had bars on them. There is maid service every day to provide clean towels and make the beds up.
There is an outdoor pool with a sunbathing area and free sunbeds along with a conservatory area and a bar.
The evening entertainment was really good, on Saturdays there is a flamenco show and for the rest of the week there are various singers.
The restaurant was a little disappointing, there didn't seem to be much choice, breakfast was done on a rota ( bacon and mushrooms one day then sausage and beans the next ) there was always plenty of toast and cereals. Evening meals were also limited to a choice of 1 type of meat, 2 types of fish and pasta. There was a small salad bar and pudding consisted of ice cream.

That said - the food that was served was very nice.

As the hotel is on a hill it may cause problems for people with walking difficulties, Its ok going down the hill to the beach and town but there are very few taxis around.
There is a regular bus service from the town which stops just up the road from the hotel, there is a taxi rank in town but they only come along every 30 mins or so. If you head to the burriana beach, the bars on the sea front should ring a taxi for you if you ask.

It was a lovely holiday till Friday's storm ! The worst weather in over 40 years had to hit Nerja on our last day, thunder, lightening and hail for hours and hours. We were stranded in the hotel with no electric for over 12 hours and no running water ( ironic considering how much rain fell ) the water still hadn't come back on by the time we were leaving on Saturday.
The hotel tried their best, to be honest it was quite romantic at night, the bar and corriders were lit with candles and we all sat around singing songs.

• Liked — the friendly staff
  • Disliked — Location - too far from town and steep walk back up from the beach
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
South Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

The Club Nerja Hotel was very clean with friendly helpful staff. I visited in 2007 - early September - with my wife on a late booking with 1st Choice. their rep Lyndsay was very good too, although we didn't need her services for anything other than advice on the area.
The food was very good and there was plenty of fresh hot refills coming out of the kitchen until the last 5 minutes beore the mealtimes ended. The pool area was good and there wasn't anything to complain about. The resident entertainer was 'ok'. Let's leave it at that. Other entertainment (every night there was something on) was very good. We had room 525 which had a tiny patio onto the pool. Yes, it was small, but how long do you stay at a small table? There are lots of attractions around. The only bad point was that it is a long walk to the town centre or a beach so it would not siut the less able bodied.
Would I go again? Most certainly.

• Liked — \Clean, good value
  • Disliked — Long walk to the town - seems even longer coming back, it's uphill!!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Altrincham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

This was my tenth time at the Hotel Nerja Club and it was just as enjoyable as the other nine times!!
The rooms are clean, the staff are friendly, (a little Spanish goes a long way), the food is good, the entertainment is ok. If its a nice relaxing break in the sun you're after, this is the hotel for you!
It is a walk to the beach and town, but it is nice to have a gentle stroll and it gets you out of the hustle and bustle of the village in the busy summer months.
As I said, this is my tenth time and I have been at all different times of the year-high season, Christmas, Autumn, Winter, Spring-and at all times the hotel has never let me down.
I have visited the hotel alone, with my Mum, with my Dad and this time with my boyfriend. All have fallen in love with the hotel and Nerja which is a stunningly beautiful.
I'm sure I'll be visiting this hotel for many years to come!!

• Liked — The family feel of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

Enjoyed the hotel, especially the food, pork, chicken, or fish as a main, and a good salad bar, along with tasty soup. The food was fresh and appetizing. Vegetarian are not really catered for but a freshly made omellete was made on request . The hotel is 20-30 mins strolll from the Balcony of Europe, but my wife, 13year old daughter had no problem with walking this distance, especially cutting through the back streets and finding some lovely bar overloooking the sea, there are some quaint shops and lovely looking restaurants.
If you have difficulty walking or with younger children the walk to the nearest beach may be daunting as the road is steep.
The pool is OK , and the 4 children who my daughter made friends with had no complaints. The hotel has internet access 1 euro for 9 mins.My room 203 looked over a small holding and was quiet. The room was always clean, and all the staff were polite. The entertainment is so so Sasha is fine, but the male singer Rob McCane is Tone Deaf!

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — furniture may look a bit tired
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

Have just come back today from a great holiday in Nerja with my teenage son. Decided i would write a review to counteract all the moaning from British holiday makers. I booked this holiday last minute as a break for my son and i to get away, have a bit of sunshine and not have to cook and clean for a week and that is what i got. Everything you do in life is what you make it and i was sure i was going to have some fun and a rest. We only had one day to check up the Hotel and area and i have to say i was a little dubious as comments writtten made this place sound like a holiday from Hell but i was not going to let that ruin my Holiday. Had a delay settting off from Exeter. Not a problem these things happen!! Arrived Malaga, beautiful sunshine. Reps to greet us and when our Hotel group assembled we were escorted to a mini bus and driven along the coast to a Very Picturesque spanish town. Have to say passed some areas with hundreds of high rise blocks and was so pleased not to be staying anywhere like that. PHEW!!! Was dropped off at Hotel Nerja and checked in. OK we had a small room 220 and it overlooked the road but it was sufficient for us. I did ask if there was a room overlookin the pool but there was not so we settled in. We actally enjoyed our outlook and in the evening when we got ready to go out watched the tennis on the courts opposite and the gently flow of traffic.
The pool was a little on the small size but i think it was ideal. It was never too busy and i enjoyed a swim every day. My son built his confidence up and spent a fair bit of time in there too.
The hotel was very clean and the maids always thouroughly cleaned. Early morning you would find many staff busily preparing the hotel for the day.
Breakfast and dinner was great. I have no complaints and if you wanted a runny egg you only had to ask. Some staff may have occasionally appeared unhappy but then i would too if i was spoken to so rudely by guests.
Head waiter Bepe was great with the kids and always welcomed you in the evening or maybe that was because we went in with a smile.
My son and i walked into the town every evening and it was a great place to be. It is a level walk and yes it takes about 20- 30 minutes but it was a nice walk to do after the evening meal. I found that most people that complained about this were those that probably do with a little exercise in their life. Harsh but true!!!
The walk to the beach was maybe a little hard on your legs but taxis ran for only 3-5 euros if you wanted we didnt and i certainly toned my legs.
The entertainment. If you dont like it go somewhere else. We did when 1 tone was on. LOL
We aslo met some fantastic people will be staying in touch with them.
I feel like i could go on but as i am very busy living a wonderful and happy life i have other things to get on with. I just felt after listening and reading negative comments i had to jot a few things down for those of you who book this holiday. At the end of the day its what you make it and the sort of person you are. So think positive and have a great time.... We did

• Liked — all
  • Disliked — nowt
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Peterlee, County Durham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

It's difficult to know where to start here. On arrival we booked in, were given a key and sent off to room 209. The lift was barely large enough for both of us with two suitcases but as there were stairs and we didn't have to hump luggage around every day it was no big problem, however I have to think of accessibility for wheelchair users and would have to conclude it wouldn't be good enough.
Next went to our room.
Had specifically asked for a non smoking room at the travel agents. It was immediately apparent that the room was very smoky so went right back to reception and asked for a change. I was told that all the rooms were the same........
They don't have any specific non smoking rooms. Nevertheless we looked at another room on the floor above which was slightly less smokey but faced the busy roundabout on the main road so thought better of it and went back to room 209 which overlooked the pool area.
The room itself was a complete nightmare. The size allowed only a standard double bed with only 12 inches around the sides and front for movement by guests. You couldn't pass each other while getting dressed for instance and had to walk over the bed.
The "dressing table" for want of a better word looked like something from a car boot sale and the space where you could place a single suitcase was covered in raggy carpet. No space for a second suitcase except under the dressing table. A single wicker chair was situated in the space between the side of the bed and the "patio" door making it impossible to get into the "wardrobe" which housed a rail of around 30 inches with a large safe underneath making it impossible to hang anything satisfactorily above it without creasing.
The bathroom?
Aargghhhhhh
When we first went into the room I was bursting to go to the loo but as we had only just opened the door and hadn't had time to insert the keycard into the electrical holder (the thing that turns the electrics on) I made a dash into the bathroom and was planning on leaving the door ajar for light. Unfortunately at the same as I went into the toilet the maid knocked at the room door so I had to close the door behind me and without realising I peed into the bidet which was situated along the wall opposite the wash basin.
When I opened the door I could see the toilet itself but it was packed in so tightly behind the door that it was difficult to sit down on it and impossible without closing the door anyway as the door opened right up against the bowl.
The bathroom itself was so tiny you couldn't dry yourself in there as you just tripped over the bidet or knocked your arms on the handbasin and couldn't properly turn around easily.
To make matters worse, the room was so tiny that the bath rail was hung on the wall above the bath, that's inside the curtain, and the rail itself was at a height that was dangerous. I caught my forehead on the corner of it a few times as I turned around standing in the tub having a shower.
Even worse still was the fact that with the bath towels hanging inside the shower area, as soon as you turned the shower on it soaked the towels. Of course you only did this once as the next time you remove the towels before having a shower.
I think you can picture the scene here. It was TINY.
Now onto the other amenities that travel agents forget to tell you about.
Meals: Don't bother. Quite frankly they were the absolute pits.
Where I would have expected lots of fresh fruit on the tables for those who didn't want to eat grease, there were dishes full of tinned pineapple and peaches. Sure there some of the red watermelon slices. The ones with pips all through them, and apples. But where were all the honey melons, passion fruit, fresh oranges and other exotic fruits you expect in any sort of hot climate. Tinned fruit? How utterly disgusting.
The fried eggs, or should I say the eggs that were boiled in oil, were of the variety that had yolks well cooked so there went the option of having a dippy egg with a bread bun. The gammon slices, (whatever happened to bacon?) was generally done to a crisp when there was any on the serving area.
Coffee and drinks were stuck in a corner which meant that the queue blocked off access to all the things such as sugar packets and butter etc.
The evening meals were a mixture of bizzare and downright confusing.
Let's get the salad option out of the way first. As far as I could tell this was very basic indeed. Consisting of a dish of salad cream and some sort of salady potpourri of various beans and other unidentifiable things with little in the way of good stuff such as tomatoes, lettuce, cooked meats, cheeses etc it looked less appetising than the contents of my bin on the day before collection.
Then there were the cooked? meals.
Surprisingly some of the things were quite tasty but were presented with little to make them look appealing. Schnitzels and breaded sea bass for instance were quite tasty but with little to accompany them in the way of matching items. A big dish of smash for instance, with a few carrots and perhaps some canned asparagus sprouts. The boiled baby potatoes were quite decent though as were the jacket potatoes but you can't go wrong with these can you? Except that they didn't really match the meat dishes very well. Only once were fries placed on the serving hatches and for meals which really didn't identify themselves with anything else that was a big disappointment and in any case can you picture young kids queuing for a nice plate of smash?
My advice is that if you can spare the cash go into town for a decent meal. We found a wonderful English pub in the back streets which served the most delightful and inexpensive fillet steak. It sort of made our day when we found this place. It's just a pity that it was our last day.

Now onto other amenities in the hotel itself.
The pool, all 25 yards of it, that's length not depth, was sort of OK if all you wanted to do was a couple of lengths to cool yourself off in the heat. It was certainly not the place a young child could safely be left alone. The shallow end was still around 4 feet 6inches deep and this shelved off to around 6 feet over its length of around 25 metres. It was in good condition though from what I could see but it closed at 6 PM. Yes, closed at 6. For a hotel which didn't boast any other amenities for kids, this is just not on.
The reason it closed so early is that every evening there was some entertainment (for want of a better description) on the small terrace area in front of the pool.
This same terrace was also the place where those intrepid sun lovers who stood waiting for the few sun lounges and umbrellas to be scrambled for at around 9 in the morning, placed their hard fought for treasures then went off to breakfast. There were the usual few people on the same sunbeds in the same spot every day and no chance for someone to wander onto the scene and pick one out and place it on the terrace. There were only a handful to be dished out.

So onto the evening “entertainment”.
Actually there was a lass from the Bradford area who did quite well on (I think) a Wednesday or Thursday night. She was OK and far better than the resident ghost, Oops I mean host, who gargled his way through the worst performance I've ever heard for 4 nights a week. His jokes were so old they had even stopped creaking but as his voice was worse than his jokes we could almost forgive this. Having had the sense to choose room 209 which overlooked the stage area thinking it would be nice to have the pleasure of lying back on the balcony supping a nice sangria and listening to the performers we were well peed off at the awful act put on. Another male performer came on and gave us some bloody awful renditions of Three wheels on my wagon and other equally awful renditions of oldies that even Des O' Connor would cringe to. He came on two nights a week and did the same performance. Tortuous is the only description I can give it.
Don't wait in for entertainment. It just doesn't come, except for the Yorkshire lass who was OK but not terrific.

The hotel is described in travel brochures as being modern. Well, the only thing modern about it are the prices. Its fairly old. Not in bad disrepair, just small and cramped. Oh the balcony of our neighbour was wide enough for a single plastic chair to be placed at an angle on it. And the her balcony door was so tiny she had to force herself through it being a size 18.
It's also described as being a pleasant stroll from the town of Nerja and its beaches. Well believe me a mile and half hike up a 1 in 10 hill over badly maintained pavements in 110 degrees in the shade is no gentle stroll.
It also says that it's on a bus route. Well it is. The bus goes right past it at around 30 mph. There are no bus stops until you get into Nerja itself, 3 roundabouts away and around a mile downhill. OK going out on a morning but getting back on a night is bloody hard work.
If you are at all disabled in any way that affects your walking then this is definitely the place to make sure your life insurance policies are up to date before you come over.
If you've taken the time to read all this and still go to this Godforsaken hotel then don't blame me.

• Liked — Leaving the reception at the end of the holiday
  • Disliked — Everything about it
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sutton Coldfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

Our party of four stayed at the Nerja Club for 5 days from 14th May 2007 and, despite reading some uncomplementary reviews on the website before we began our holiday, we found the hotel and service to be of a good standard. The hotel was clean, welcoming and comfortable, the bedrooms were of a good size and clean, the beds were comfortable and at the time of visiting we found it to be very quiet and relaxing. There is a lovely poolside area in which to read, relax and sunbathe, with plenty of sunbeds, and the pool was very clean and inviting. The dining room was efficient and the food good. We found the staff at reception particularly friendly and helpful, and always knowledgeable with directions and information. To sum up, this was a reasonably priced, decent hotel with good facilities, nice staff and in a good location for one of the best beaches in Nerja.

• Liked — Quiet and relaxing
  • Disliked — The bathroom was a little 'tired' and could have done with a refurb
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Nerja Club? Share your experiences!