“Beautiful Hotel - pity it is so far from everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of THB Reserva del Higueron

You added THB Reserva del Higueron to your Saves list
THB Reserva del Higueron
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenidada Del Higueron 46 | Autopista Costa del Sol, Salida 217, 29640 Fuengirola, Spain   |
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
“Beautiful Hotel - pity it is so far from everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have just returned from spending 4 nights in this wonderful hotel. I am a minimalist so this hotel suited me. If you like your old fashioned hotel with character this is not for you. I am from a hotel background myself so my expectations are high. DO pay the extra and get a suite, in my opinion there was a big difference in the standard room and junior suite. The suite has a bedroom with separate living area with sofa bed, 2 showers, 2 toilets, 2 plasma TVs. Most of their suites are duplex however I called the hotel and booked a suite on one floor (they have 4) as I have a toddler and did not want stairs. When I arrived I asked to see the Junior Class Suite which was €50 more expensive (if you are looking at photos - it has the large round sofa in the window. In my opinion the junior suites were nicer so I opted to stay where I was). The staff are all very friendly especially the tall blond lady on reception , David in the roof top bar, the restaurant staff were all lovely too.
After reading all the reviews we hired a car (absolutely a necessity - with GPS). I always use Marge from Terry’s rent a car (be careful there are two - this one is in Malaga). She may be a little more expensive but the car is waiting out side and when you arrive back at departures her son steps out and takes the car from you - so handy. We definitely needed the GPS coming in and out of Benalmadena via the small streets. There was the train which I would have availed off only for the weather was bad.
Where the hotel is based it falls under the Funengirola, the other side of the street (about 20 foot away) comes under Benalmadena. So if you are ordering a taxi for Benalmadena the hotel must call the firm in Funengirola (legally I think). We spend most of our time in Benalmadena. The Marina is beautiful, we had lunch in the Harbour Restaurant in the Marina, the food was delicious and very reasonable (they offered us a complimentary drink which was nice). Another day we ate in Jacks American Diner (upstairs in the Marina) however I found it to be quite pricey. There is an Italian next door to it that I ate in years ago and had the best lasagna ever – will try it again next time.
We went to sea world in Benalmadena and the following day travelled to the Zoo in Fuengirola. If you are going to the Zoo I wouldn’t bother with sea world as you get an opportunity to see the underwater world in the zoo (unless you are totally into sealife). I would definitely recommend the Zoo for children. We also spend some time in Malaga and Marbella (where I loved the children’s activities on the beach, bouncing castle etc).
When we were there, the weather was bad, you could hear the wind howling through the hotel but all areas were lovely and warm. Due to the time of year, the rain and the wind, one day we were in fleeces and the next day t-shirts. Thank goodness I brought a bit of everything.
I was in the Spa and would recommend it. We also used the indoor pool, it was ok but more suited to the lane swimmer than children, be careful you have to walk from the changing room down a hall to the pool (not far) but the floor gets very slippy so do wear slippers or flip flops. Because of the time of year we couldn't use the outdoor pools so that would be a bonus in the good weather.
The pool bar on the roof is out of this world and the beds the most comfortable I have been in.
Breakfast was great with a live cooking station making eggs, omelets etc to order. Great selection and something to suit everyone. I found dinner was disappointing however my partner was happy each night with his. Some of the food was only lukewarm so this is still an issue in the hotel. We always had a good lunch when we were out so dinner would only be light.
I loved the hotel but I would prefer to stay somewhere closer to the centre/ beach next time. The price of a taxi into Benalmadena (which is closer than Fuengirola) was €17 down (Fuengirola taxi that must be ordered from the hotel) and €15 home (Benalmadena taxi).
We did have one luggage bag with us and I should have remembered that the airport in Malaga on a Sunday morning is crazy. DO book speedy boarding back it is worth it. We queued for over 2 hours until our flight was announced and then they took us forward. We had to run to our gate which was closing. Too stressful for me!! Overall a lovely holiday and I was thankful I was in a beautiful hotel considering the bad weather.

Room Tip: Junior Suites and if travelling with small children ask in advance for the same floor as most have s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just back from a week's stay in this ultra modern - and clean - hotel. Both good and bad points, often depending on personal preferences. I found the food very good as I had a mixture of freshly cooked fish every evening, my wife found little available to her liking as she is a vegetarian. The restaurant staff were excellent though the acoustics inside were too echoey especially with kids making a noise; we'd been informed this was an adult only hotel but found that far from being the case.

The bedrooms were ultra modern but gave little privacy to anyone requiring it; the toilet and shower cubicle opening onto the bedroom shared a perspex sliding door that could only ever mask one. The beds were fine. Storage space was insufficient meaning we had to leave half of our clothes in one of the suitcases. Lots of channels on the large screen TV but only 3 with English - French News in English, Russian News in Engish and Algezera News in English - so not much use.

The Infinity Pool and bar were open but we were unlucky in being there during a 'bad weather' week. Far too windy to be up on the roof. We experienced thunder and lightening with a nightime hailstorm and, because of prebooking, had to drive through snow most of the way to Granada where we arrived to a snow blizzard (none of which was the fault of the hotel). The sports facilities and spa were excellent; unfortunately, and something never experienced elsewhere, kids were allowed into the spa unaccompanied.

A car is really a must. Whilst there is a courtesy train - such as seen at Disney - down to the seafront, the hotel is on an extremely steep incline with no amenities, absolutely no amenities, until 1km either up or down the hill. So nowhere for a stroll other than the grounds of th hotel. Car rental at Malaga airport was so cheap so do hire one.

Overall, the hotel was / is very good but not to everyone's taste. We would go back (but only in better weather). And, if you do go, do take a ride on the cable car at Benalmadena.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

just returned from a five day stay. never one to complain everything was good except for the food. very very poor not a four star more like a two star. we got a good deal so far the price was very good but would have been very disappointed if paid any more. . at dinner i felt like i was in a canteen not a luxury hotel . but the rest of the hotel is lovely very chic. need to sort food though as lots of other guests were complaining as it was barely warm some nights.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The hotel is quite new and have a lot of possibilities. You can drive your (rental) car right into a locked garage with no extra cost.

Several swimming pools, spa, hairdresser, several tennis courts, ...

Very nice meals.
We're already looking forward for coming back.

• Stayed February 2013
London, UK.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We just spent 6 days at this hotel and we had a lovely time. The hotel is exactly as it looks on the photos. Very modern and spacious with great sports facilities. I really liked the design - very well done (and not at all IKEA looking as I read - but modern though). The junior suites are wonderful. The staff was very professional and helpful. I had seen reviews on this site stating that some were rude, but I could not disagree more (and my husband and I are particularly difficult). In terms of the food, it is fair to say that the dinner buffet is pretty basic, but it was adequate for us. Breakfast is nice though. We were on special offer deal with them and it was extremely good value. Free coffee and water at reception from noon to 7pm.
The hotel is located in luxury gated residential area, it is very safe. It has a large sports center and spa with a tennis accademy (the tennis and short tennis courts are right by the hotel (but it is not an issue - provides entertainment). A small private road goes all the way down to the beach. It is quite steep though. The hotel has a curtosy train going down to the beach. We walked as we liked the exercise. very nice location and great hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back.

Room Tip: The junior suites are great. Quiet hotel.
Assen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Not happy with our stay, mainly because of the food. We had half board but dinner was so poor that from 7 evenings, we had dinner in the hotel only 4 times. Meat and fish has all been unfrozen. It neither looks well nor tastes well. Besides that, the food is cold very often. Worst food we ever had in a holiday hotel.
Rooms are quite alternative with the toilet practically in the room, which we did not like. The beds were o.k.. There is not enough space in the room to store clothes etc.
Personnel was friendly and service was o.k. Wellness was very good but does not belong to the hotel and has to be paid separately. Hotel guests can use the facilities of the local fitness club (ground floor), which is very good.
In the direct neighbourhood there are hardly any possibilities to take a walk or go to a restaurant so for a stay in this hotel you need a car.
We would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Pwllheli, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Delighted with our stay, the hotel staff were excellent -always helpful and courteous! Rooms were simple with lovely balcony overlooking the gardens, dressing gowns for comfort - tv channels limited but this is not a big deal! The infinity pool and leisure facilities at the hotel were excellent and always available. I would have given the hotel a 5 had it not been for the cold food at breakfast and dinner, such a shame as this really is a delightful hotel which could be amazing with the addition of hot food!!! Loved the complimentary coffee, wine and water in foyer-a lovely touch!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to THB Reserva del Higueron? Share your experiences!