“Overnight stay but wished it had been longer” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Coto del Valle
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera del Tranco Km 34.3, 23470 Cazorla, Spain   |
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cazorla
portsmouth
“Overnight stay but wished it had been longer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Delightful setting, rooms spacious with everything one needed. Staff helpful, dinner, one of the nicest soles we have had in a while said roasted but actually a la plancha (grilled). Would certainly go back only minus very few if any signs to the hotel and map not accurate nor on Internet. Took long time to find not on Parador road at all.

Room Tip: Have one with balcony
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a lovely location and the hotel has very good facilities, rooms were spacious and well equipped. Swimming in the outdoor pool overlooking the hills at the end of a long day was a great way to relax.

Well placed for walking in the natural park.

The restaurant lacked in atmosphere for us. Very bright and lots of young children (even though dinner is only served between 9 and 11pm), great for families but less so for couples.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed here for the week and was amazed at the scenery, the food and above all, the friendliness of the staff.
The room I was in had two single beds which were both clean and ample. The air-conditioning was divine. The luscious shower every day was wonderful.
Although I only lazed by the pool, it was definitely useful and something I would recommend you try.
The food was served promptly and was cooked to perfection, with a variety of ingredients.
I would visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
bijeljina, bosnia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed in Coto del Valle hotel for a week volunteering on a Diverbo English immersion program. The hotel is in secluded location surrounded by spectacular environment. In fact it is in the heart of natural preserve area. The hotel is very well designed combining the elements of local heritage and modern architecture. I loved the veranda or atrium that served well during the hot afternoons. Food was really spectacular and diverse, so I enjoyed "best of Spanish cuisine" for quite some time. The hotel rooms are neat and other amenities like swimming pool, disco, and the court for paddle (spanish-argentinian) small tennis was nearby. Every day one deer and a wild boars would come close to the hotel as for the show, since they were not afraid of humans.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Spectacular surroundings and a nice pool. If you are lucky, you might catch sight of some of the local wildlife. My room which I had exclusive use of was a 'family unit' one double and one twin room with a shower room. A balcony overlooking the recreation area and pool was a plus.

For a four star, I thought the rooms were a little basic, no room safe, trouser press or refrigerator for example and, other than a small tablet of soap and some gel in the shower unit, there were no toiletries. Plenty of combs and tooth brushes however. Note for U.K. visitors, ALL the T.V. channels are in Spanish.

The staff ? Charming, helpful and friendly, made me feel really welcome.

I am not a great fan of garlic or olive oil, a bit difficult in an area famous as an oil producing region (60 million olive trees locally I am told) but I found plenty of items on the menu to suit my taste. The food was well prepared, nicely presented with ample portions. In particular, the fish courses I was served were Quite exceptional. If you have special dietary requirements, the staff are only too happy to try and oblige.

All in all, lovely hotel, an ex hunting lodge, lots of stuffed wildlife form part of the ambience. O'h I nearly forgot, there is a lovely covered courtyard if the sun gets too hot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed at the Coto Del Valle for 8 days as part of the Diverbo language program.

Our room was very comfortable, well serviced and top quality. The WiFi signal reached our room for easy internet connectivity.

Food was delicious and creative (we were told they had a Michelin-starred chef - and we believe it).

Remote location in the mountains of Sierra de Cazorla in Jaen Province, Andalucia - added to the charm. Staff were attentive in every way and one member of staff (on her day off) even bought our bus tickets for our onward travel from the town of Cazorla.

Spa was luxurious!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gibraltar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have just returned from spending five nights at this hotel.... and it has been glorious!

The hotel is exactly what you see in the photos here or on their website. It is honest, no photoshop or filter in sight. It is rustic...in a slightly theme parky sort of way. Designed to look like it has been there for years and making sure that there is a fantastic vista from every nook and crannie, balcony or patio.This is well achieved. The rooms are functional , clean and cosy. The beds are very comfortable. The lighting is perculiar, at least it was in our room, we never got the overhead lights to work, but we were quite happy with the side lights and the light flooded in through our large mountain facing picture window and balcony doors, which were also mosquito netted and equiped with roller shutters and good locks for those city dwellers like myself, who are not familiar with the concept of total silence ( except for the birds in the day & baying deer occassionally at night)& total darkness. It was actually so wonderful to breathe air enfused with pine while listening to the babbling brook and the sounds of the forrest I have not slept so well in years.

The hotel staff were helpful and pleasant at all times. The conservatory bar again offers a relaxing spot with over 180 degree views of the valley & mountains. The spa was a wonderful treat to be enjoyed after a morning trek. The circuit lasts for 2 hours and costs 20 euros per person unless you were as lucky as we were and had one circuit each included in the price. We were steamed, saunaed, flotated. Our pores were openned in the heat, cleansed in the steam and shut in the ice rub and/or the plunge pool. Our feet were massaged in the pebble walk and we were pummelled and relaxed by the various water shoots and trickles...My neck has never felt better ! The whole thing finished up with a jacuzzi while again looking out at the incredible sceenery. We loved it so much, we returned on a second occassion and paid 15 euros for an hour in the circuit with a lovely infused tea at the end. Sitting in an oriental style hall with more fabulous views, we were warm , wrapped in our fluffy robes and I was so relaxed I was suprised my husband did not have to peel me up off the floor.

I have read other reviews and must admit that before we chose to visit this hotel, the only thing that put us off was the reviews on the restaurant! Well, I am very happy to tell anyone reading this that ....they have listened and they have fixed it. Our booking was with breakfast and half board. Breakfast was not the lavish buffet that one tends to find on coastal resorts, but there are cereals, breads, cold cuts, fruit, pastries, warm bacon and tortilla, juices, coffees & tea. We chose to have our evening meal on half board and I can say that at 15 euros a head it was incredible value for money. The options were taken from the a la carte menu. Everything we tried was fresh, tasty and delicious ! On the final evening we ate a la carte and the standard was truly excellent. We shared the odd bottle of wine with our friends over dinner and were totally impressed with the price and quality of it.

El Coto del Valle is a great place to spend a few days. If you have children of any size or age, they will love it. The hotel was very child friendly as we discovered on our last night. If you want to enjoy the hotel in quieter moments, then go between a Sunday and depart on a Friday, off peak and school holidays you will find it peaceful.

Do at least one 4x4 tour of the park, take some walks, there are various starting and ending near the hotel. The village at the bottom of the valley ( Arroyo Frio) 3k away on foot makes for a good lunch destination or try it for a spot of local shopping. It you want to buy local olive oil or other local delicasies. Try the supermarket before the little gift shops. You will often find the same product cheaper. Eating out is also the cheapest and among the nicest I have ever found in Southern Spain.

What did I love? The peace, the air, the walks, the spa, the wildlife...at one point I felt like Snow White ...singing with all the little creatures around her. I jest. I enjoyed seeing them in their environment, but I never expected to see so many, birds, deer of several varieties and size, Squirrels, eagles,bats, foxes, wild goats and boar.

What did I dislike? You know what? I can't think of a single thing.....we were even lucky enough to have the weather on our side, five days of beautiful blue skies cool in the mornings and warm in the afternoons. I do accept that this is not the norm for this time of year...Ok, I just found one thing I did not like! I told you about the funny lighting in our room, well, there was also a table with a velvety top to put your luggage on? Well, the velvet was faded. How is that for nit picking ?

On a final note, as we slowly drove out of the park on our last morning, a young buck jumped out in front of us, he looked straight toward us and the four of us stared in awe. No time to grab the camera, Just time to realise were we had been and feel grateful that there are still spots in Europe were one can enjoy...a little piece of heaven.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Coto del Valle? Share your experiences!