“Food and Service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Las Villas de Antikaria

You added Hotel Las Villas de Antikaria to your Saves list
Hotel Las Villas de Antikaria
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avda De La Cruz Blanca 1 | Avd Cruz Blanca n º 1, CP-29200 Antequera, Spain   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Antequera
Bexley, United Kingdom
“Food and Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We upgraded to half board. What a mistaka to maka. Our group of some 24 people who took the half board option were agreed that the food was badly cooked, badly presented and badly served, the highlight being the soups which were edible. Basically it was very poor value for money. The arrangements for breakfast were farsical, it was not like any buffet/continental one I have ever had before. two choices of cereal, one type of cheese and one of ham, sometimes there were even bread rolls and when the fruit was gone it was gone!
The two toasters were barely operable resulting in the breakfast queue snaking half way back to reception. Our overall impression was that the hotel staff were not interested in the guests.
On a more positive note the Hotel was ideally located and was only a short walk to the lovely town of Antequera with its shops and restaurants. The rooms were spacious modern and clean although the advertised room safes were absent.

Room Tip: Preferably floor 3. It has a common roof terrace.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Especial08, Jefa Recepcion at Hotel Las Villas de Antikaria, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Dear guest:

It is a pleasent attend you in our hotel restaurant.

The breakfast for your reservation was simple buffet continental. It has different kind of bread, cheese, ham slices, yogurts, mermelade, butter, kornflaques, orange juice, coffee, milk, infusion, fruit and pastry. The personal that is on the buffet put back things when they are finish.
The agency (throught you maked the reservation) know the composition of the continental breakfast. We give them the possibility that this buffet was more complette with scramble eggs, bacon, sausages,etc but in this case it will be necessary to pay and extra and it is not accepted.

In refference to the menu we must to inform that our menu is 2 or 3 options of first dishes and other 2 or 3 options of second dishes (to choice at the moment) and dessert, you have several variety during this 3 options.

In reply to the safety box I must inform you that not all the rooms has it, but we have safety box at the disposition of the guest at reception free.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cannington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We went bed & breakfast was glad we did. We did chose the same at those on half board the first two nights the same meal as they had, and it was certainly done to a price.

Chicken in breadcrumbs overcooked & dried up. Veg nearly non-existent, and very little else. Soup was described as asparagus, and considering the area is supped to grow the stuff, there were only a few little tiny spears floating in a tomato based consommé, and there was a soft boiled egg thrown in which made up most of the substance. Considering my wife does not like eggs, she was disappointed as it should have been billed as “EGG SOUP” The next night another soup with a different description, no mention of egg, but was still heavily contaminated by one.

We eat out the rest of the week. Town itself is very nice, well worth walking into and up to the castle. There are excellent restaurants in the old part of town, and a taxi back is dead cheap. Can recommend El Escribano up by the castle and in particular Meson Les Hasuelas in the square by the museum.

Back to the hotel. Breakfast, what a joke. Very little in the way of content and no variety. Last day there were two sittings as one group had to leave early, and there was a 15 minute break between sittings. Nothing was replenished until we in the second group had almost finished. There were no yoghurts, no cheese & ham etc, the bread was still in the packet, and only 5 slices left. Seems like one waiter was left to deal with it, and no arrangement put in place regards extra staff. Poorly organised.

Important! You have to hand in at least one passport when you check- in. They lost mine, transpired they handed it back to another guest the next day (who was female & I am not) without checking. Fortunately that guest was part of our group who was unaware until the rep from Newmarket double checked with everyone in the group. Just imagine had it been someone who had already checked out and on their way to the airport. The staff seemed totally non-plussed and was indifferent about it. The tour guide was left to sort it out. In the past when I’ve handed over my passport in hotels, I get questioned re identity before handing back.

All in all, provided you go B&B and eat out at night not too bad. At least you can visit the old town by walking up the slope past the garage and keeping straight on to the bottom, and well worth it. Beautiful little town.

in Summary, cheap & cheerful. Rooms very good, bit noisy but very clean. Severe language barrier, but what can I say, we are no better in the UK.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest:

In reference to the passport, the recepcionist perhaps make a mistake given it to another person but this person ask for the passport of your room, he said that he was a friend of you.

The breakfast for your reservation was buffet continental. It has different kind of bread, cheese, ham slices, yogurts, mermelade, butter, kornflaques, orange juice, coffee, milk, infusion, fruit and pastry. Every time the breakfast is repleaced.
The agency (where you maked the reservation) know the composition of the continental breakfast. We give them the possibility that this buffet was more complette with scramble eggs, bacon, sausages,etc but in this case it will be necessary to pay and extra and it is not accepted.
In refference to the menu we must to inform that our menu is 2 or 3 options of first dishes and other 2 or 3 options of second dishes (to choice at the moment) and dessert, you have variety during this 3 options.
Antequera is a beautiful city to know.
Paris
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I recommend Antiquera like a confortable place to visited another cities like Granada, Cordoba or Seville. Antiquira is a interesting old town. But I don`t recommend this hotel where the receptionists are not over helpful. It s near to a main road and the traffic noise is awfull. All the hotel was very clean but is a old hotel. I don´t recommend the food at all: dinner, breakfast very poor and the waiter very slow.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Especial08, Jefa Recepción at Hotel Las Villas de Antikaria, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Our hotel is only 11 years old, we open in august 2000, so we can not considerer it is old hotel.

There is not noisy at the room because the windows has two glases, same of our rooms go to the road but another is to a neighbourg or to the patio inside.

The breakfast is concert between the agency to us, it is a continental buffet.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011 via mobile

We had a family room which was very large and because it was at the back of the hotel very quiet. The hotel has clearly been modernised recently but has lost non of its old charm. It is located on a busyish road to the north of Antequera which is the opposite end to the museum and monuments but everything in the town is at most 20 min walk away. Those seeking excitement should try driving through the town centre

• Stayed August 2011
The hotel is at only 10 or 15 minutes walking to the center of Antequera.
It is a litle hotel with professional people who attend you in all the moment and give same explications above Antequera.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

The holiday package booked gave choices of 2 hotels and we chose this one due to the fact that we were booked on escorted trips around the region and wouldn't be in the hotel much. On seeing the reviews i was concerned about the food but knew we were close to other restaurants. On arrival you find (as should be expected) this is a town hotel (rather thn a resort hotel) and is on a busy road with a garage opposite. The rooms are clean, large and well appointed. The fridge worked, the TV did too but only had local freeview (no UK or music channels) and there was wi-fi although I didn't enquire about using it.

People on our trip booked half board which offers a 3 course meal for about £10 a day extra. At that price you can't expect cordon bleu and no-one on the trip was heard to complain. Breakfast was very basic as reported here previously. Coffee, toast, cheese and ham, preserves, yoghurts, fresh bread, pastries, sugar puffs and juice. All edible but no variety. At dinner myself and my girlfriend chose to try the a la carte which I hoped would prove the reviews wrong. In my opinion the a la carte meals were excellent. I had entrecote the first night which was about as good as they get (cooked perfectly), and through the week we had sirloins,pork fillets, salmon fillets (accompanied by king prawn and a full langoustine) and found little fault with anything. As you should expect the meat was very good quality and the service perfectly acceptable and veryfriendly. The wine list was spanish only but all the wine I had there was good quality even the house red & white.Other people on the trip who had read the reviews didn't eat in the hotel until I said how good it was and told me that meals outside had been of lesser quality but at a similar price to those inside the hotel.

Unfortunately what let the hotel down for me was what i will class as quality of construction and lack of consideration concerning noise. Generally I found the walls to block no noise at all. We had issues with the first room due to the noise coming from next door but mostly from a function room below and the fact that for a solid 2 hours until 01:20 one morning the staff dragged wooden tables accross the marble floor below. And when I mean a solid two hours I mean exactly that, there was no break at all. On reporting this to a non-english speaking night porter I got absolutely no assistance at all until the morning when our Rep got us moved. In the second room all was fine until the morning when I was woken by running water sounds. The second room was designed so the beds backed onto a party wall with the bathroom of the neighbouring room on the other side. With water pipes going inside the wall, the sounds of next doors "ablutions" and showering came through the wall loud and clear and woke us up. I've been in plenty of hotels before but have never had so much sound leak through the walls.

On the whole, if there are no functions in the hotel during your stay, you get breakfast outside, you choose the a la carte menu for dinner, and you get up before the people in the adjacent room you'll have a fine stay. Otherwise you may well struggle. I'm sure others will have different opinions but I can only review on my personal experiences. I'm not a moaner either, I think this is the only time I've ever complained to a hotel reception so I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm unreasonable.

I hope this helps.

Room Tip: ask for one on the 3rd floor at the back.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and a large group on a 'Spanish Classic' city break, booked with Newmarket Holidays(England).
Our hotel room was large, clean and comfortable with all the expected 'bits' for a 3 star hotel. We had no problems sleeping but some guests complained about a lot of noise coming from one of the banquet suits - after midnight till 3.30am - a local family birthday party!
The hotel is well placed for venturing into town - which is a lot bigger than you think, with all the shops, bars, restaurants, supermarkets and old interesting buildings within a one hour walk from the hotel.
We read poor reviews about the hotel 'dining facilities' so we ate out the first 2 nights - picking restaurants in the town, from recommendations on this site. We were not disappointed - El Escribano and Meson Les Hernandez - on the 3rd night we tried the hotel restaurant, on a recommendation from another guest (we have seen all the gloom and doom about the food standards here!!) but we thought - lets try it - the waiter Antonio (the only waiter) does not speak English, so problems for most of the guests(???), fortunately, I speak Spanish, so chatted for a few minutes and asked his advice - he told me to stay away from the 'Menu del Dia' (a fixed price 15 euro, 3 course meal deal!) - he said all the best food was to be had from the 'Al a Carte' menu, more expensive though - I can tell you that we had superb food - I had the best 'Salmon Supreme' ever and my wife had 'Pork Fillet' which melted like butter! A couple of glasses of red and white recommended by Antonio then coffee - all for 40 euros with a tip.
We were so impressed that we ate again at the hotel on our last night - again Antonio suggested (as I love fish) the 'Fruits of the Sea' soup as a starter and my wife (who does not) the 'Andalucian' soup - well, my soup was absolutely gorgeous - rich creamy, cooked in wine - containing cockles, pieces of hake, prawns, squid, spring onion. My wifes soup was a rich vegetable affair - a little heavy for her liking but very tasty. We decided on the recommended 'Entrecot Steaks' for mains and a decent bottle of Rioja - the steaks were massive, beautifully cooked with a rich pepper sauce, mushrooms and garlic - Antonio came to the table (with a glint in his eye) to see if we were ok - we both gave him the 'thumbs-up'.
The bill came to 65 euros with a tip. This quality in a good Manchester restaurant will set you back over £100 at least.
So, all in all a great break with decent weather and interesting trips to Seville, Cordoba and Granada (temp here hit 33C).

Room Tip: 201, 203, 205, 207, 209 all quiet rooms
  • Stayed May 2011
Dudley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

The hotel is well situated, rooms were clean and apart from all night party on one night, quiet. The chef has not improved. definitely dont stay half board. The food was unpalatable and not always cooked through and at breakfast we had mouldy bread, chipped and dirty cups and glasses and on the Monday morning no cereal as "the shops are shut on Sunday!" We had to eat in the bar twice as they had private functions in the dining room.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Hotel Las Villas de Antikaria? Share your experiences!