“siberia would be warmer” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Lawless's Irish Country Hotel & Holiday Village

Lawless's Irish Country Hotel & Holiday Village
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aughrim
Lawless's Irish Country Hotel & Holiday Village
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   AUGHRIM, Aughrim, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Aughrim
kildare
“siberia would be warmer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Recently stayed in Lawless's overnight while attending a wedding at a nearby hotel. We were the only guests staying there + when we checked in, the room was freezing. We reported this to reception when leaving to attend wedding reception + were told it would be fixed on our return. The room did seem a LITTLE warmer when we got back but by early morning i.e 5am, it was like siberia, colder if possible! We had gone to bed with 5 blankets + eiderdown on bed + extra clothing but the cold still woke us. When I got out of bed, I had to put my coat on for heat. The shower was lovely + warm until it stopped 3minutes into the shower + wouldn't restart. So my advice, avoid the place at all costs.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

Stayed here with my wife - like other reviewers we were attending a wedding reception at BrookLodge just up the road (fabulous place)
The room we had (number 9) was certainly in need of updating. We had a slate roof for a view with grime piled up on the outside. The bed was uncomfortable and had a "hairy" blanket. The bathroom (shower only) was tiny and the shower head would not adjust to any correct angle. For 120 Euros this was definately not good value.
On the plus side the breakfast was good - the restaurant is well appointed with nice views of the river. The bar food was also reasonable although the bar itself was dingy(we had a carvery lunch)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
waterford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

While the outdated decor wasn't great the first thing that hit me was the bad smell.
It was disgusting stale drink and cigarettes the whole hotel reeked.
Were handed the key and directed to our room.
I was disgusted when we got there.
The bed covers were torn, door nobs were off the wardrobe, springs were gone on the bed. It was hard and lumpy.
Lamps did not work.
There were tea coffee facilities but kettle did not work.
Not sure if the t.v did as couldn't find remote.
Decor in bathroom very outdated but clean.
Rooms look nothing like the web site. Staff were not rude but curte. It smell of damp and cold there was no view to speak of. How ever loads of debris on the outside of the window, wood old rusty screws etc.
Room so bad I started to cry.
We rang every b&b in the area to see if we could get a room else where.
However wedding in village that weekend and we were also at a function in the village so needed to be in the area a result everywhere else was booked out so had to stay. Went to reception to complain but could find no one to speak to and had to leave as were running late.
Returned that evening and went to bar to have a drink. Noticed people smoking and asked was there not a smoking area a slightly embarassed barperson that it was actually the owner and his friends.
Did not eat in hotel figured if the part I could see was disgusting how bad was the part I couldn't see!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I stayed here recently with my relatives while we attended a family function in Aughrim. Aughrim is a beautiful and picturesque village, so well kept and blooming with flowers and hanging baskets. This place does not fit in at all!
The rooms are gruby, the staff are minimal (the receptionist also served us drinks and food. The food was over priced and bland. There was no hot water in our room and we could hear the cleaners chatting loudly to each other outside our door for about 20 - 30 minutes at 6am. When we informed the receptionist of this the next morning she barely acknowledged or cared.
I stayed in this hotel about 10 years ago before the ownership changed hands and it was absolutely delightful. Obviously the new owner is only interested in his pockets and not the well being of his patrons. Avoid this place at all costs, Brooklodge (another hotel) is only up the road and it's a beautiful 3-5 minute walk into the fabulous village of Aughrim.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

Don't stay at this hotel, you would be better of sleeping in your car. The beds are tiny and uncomfortable. There was no hot water, and the shower drain was blocked anyway. The cleaning ladies had a blazing argument outside my door at 6 in the morning, and by the look of it never got around to very much cleaning. The food was over priced, and the service was even worse. Overall i was terribly disappointed in this place, as the village of aughrim is a beautiful town that deserves far better than this kip.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

This hotel is in the very heart of "dowtown" Aughrim.
I stayed here as part of a group of couples for a wedding in nearby Brooklodge (which is lovely). A double room cost €100 and I am, frankly, shocked that anyone could have the nerve to charge us that for what we got. One couple had to share a single bed in one of the rooms - that's ludicrous. At least my boyfriend and I got a double bed, though I can't say it was comfortable.
The room was on the top floor of one of the holiday village houses and the roof window had no blind. This being June in Ireland, it got bright at about 4am with the light streaming in. No hot water, when I got dressed to go out to reception I was asked after much confusion "Had I turned the water on?" Eh, no, it's a hotel, I obviously naively assumed there would be hot water already available. So I was told I had to turn on the immersion, the switch for which was on the ground floor of the house which I had no access to. Honestly. So when the water was turned on for me, I asked the lady to turn on the water for another couple in the house next door. "Sure, they can come out and get the key when they want a shower." The water took over an hour to heat up. This is for €100 a night. Shocking.
They were well meaning enough but I am reminded of Fawlty Towers where the only guest in the hotel is the American who stands up to Basil. I can only imagine what he would have done to a €100 per night hotel with no hot water.
Didn't have the breakfast so can't comment.
The glass in the bathroom had not been washed and had toothpaste in it.
Avoid.
No wonder Irish tourism is seen as going down the (cold water) river.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Co.Monaghan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Stayed here with my teenage children for a local wedding.Luckily the wedding wasn't at the hotel as divorce would quickly have ensued! Where to start.No hot water in shower or bath.1 old worn blanket per bed with torn bed cover.Our room was booked for 2 nights but there was no cleaning of room done when we were out and no restocking of tea/coffee/milk and no bins emptied.Breakfast was gross with poached eggs (which are cooked in water) being placed on white bread and a soggy mess ensuing.A discourteous waitress who doubled up as receptionist and who then asked for €360 euro for a family room when the internet price was €62 per room and breakfast extra.T.V out of reach and if you needed this you had to climb on a chair and manully turn on and off as remote didnt work (no ones did). Stay anywhere else if at all possible!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Lawless's Irish Country Hotel & Holiday Village? Share your experiences!