“Ruined our engagement” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilamar Hotel

Hilamar Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mullingar
Hilamar Hotel
You added Hilamar Hotel to your Saves list
Main Street | Kinnegad, Mullingar, Ireland   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Mullingar
Athy, Ireland
“Ruined our engagement”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We book the bridal suite for New Year’s Eve as we got engaged. The TV did not work. The Jacuzzi did not work properly. The jets when turned on shot to the ceiling. The floor was mopped before we went to the room and it was still wet when we went to bed that night which was very dangerous. The room
was freezing to the point my fiancée wore his jumper to bed. The hotel stopped serving room at 8pm despite booking a table on-line weeks in advance and ringing the previous day to confirm. We requested a refund as we wanted to go home and we were refused even though we could not get dinner in the hotel or get a takeaway as TV did not work. It ruined our special night.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Shercock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We arrived on the Friday for a 2 night stay. The girl at reception wasn't up to much but she got us booked in anyway. The room was clean and tidy but there was only one double and one single bed and a bady cot. We had booked for three Children and had specifically said "no cot" as we bring our own. And there was no picture on theTV. I went down to reception about this and the Girl said the whole system went down the day before. It was plain to see that they hadn't planned for the digital switchover which happened two days earlier.
As the room was clean and everything else seemed to work we decided not to ask for a room change. We had to push the double and single beds together.
We mentioned the TV the next day and they swapped with another room but obviously that wasn't going to work. No one in charge really.
On the plus side the staff were friendly and the food was excellent. Breakfast was lovely and although the Children (all under 4) ate quite a bit we weren't charged for that.
All in all we had a good time there and we would use the hotel again. There are lots of small things they could do better though.

Room Tip: We could hear the band at a Wedding in the function room. We didn't mind as we are good sleepers...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Shannon, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We had a light meal in the Hilamar Hotel, today 26th. October 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed. I mean " Light " by Soup, Panninis etc and Coffee. It is a lovely pleasant bar and when the six of us arrived, we sat in an alcove ( 4 of us ), waiting for 2 Ladies. We were approached by a lovely young Lady for our order but we pointed out that we were waiting for 2 more. At that, a Gentleman - nearby - asked us would we like to have more room. We answered yes and he kindly put two tables together with the appropriate chairs. He was the owner and he proved to be a most " Hands- on " Proprietor. Our meal was excellent and we were served by extremely friendly and efficient staff. For what we got, it was quite inexpensive too. It was my first time in the Hilamar and it won't be my last. Our party were most appreciative of my choice and although they were tired, having travelled from London, since 04.00 hrs., they were delighted to receive good, wholesome Irish Hospitality. By the way, I had delicious Shrimps with Marie Rose Sauce and marvellous brown bread. Mr. Bagnall we'll be back and Gurbh Maith Agat

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here twice and it's average. But this week I intended to stay again on my return trip from the West. I dropped in for coffee on my way to the West. The restaurant had uncleared tables. But when I went to the gents I was shocked. One cubicle out of order. The state of the place was awful. A shocking smell and the place just dirty. It was just awful and I left. There are serious problems to be sorted out.

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Down the country for a 70th. This hotel was a real find. Lovely clean rooms, nice friendly staff. I had the soup off the bar menu which was delicious. All round me I could see happy punters enjoying their meals.Very well located in the town.Would definitely stay here again. A real nice modern hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Went in for Sunday lunch, we were a group of 4 and what we were given could only be described as terrible.
Salmon, looked pasty and beyond it's best, covered in sauce to hide the fact, same with the beef, grizzle and ends served smothered in gravy.
The kid in the groups comments say it all, "They even managed to mess up the mashed potato."
Service so, so but the thing that really did it not that the above wasn't enough was the manager/owner strutting around belittling everybody in his path, I was so hoping he would come over and ask how things were but alas not a hope.
Steer well clear...

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I stayed here and also had a function here. I found the room to be spacious, modern and clean. I wish I had longer to stay there! The staff were very friendly, however, we had gone out for a drink in another pub, and when we came back after hours, a friend needed to let us in. The receptionist said he was out the back cleaning up, but it was very obvious he had been asleep. It was very lucky that our friend was staying at the hotel - what would we have done otherwise?!?!

The food, however, wasn't that good. The beef was overcooked and the salmon was very bland. They didnt have many options for dessert, but when I got the apple pie - which I asked to be heated up, it was luke warm and soggy - obviously because it had been microwaved.

So overall...the rooms are lovely - shame about the food and the evening staff!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilamar Hotel? Share your experiences!