“Great Hotel But Poorly Run and Overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Mullingar Park Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dublin Road, Mullingar, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Mullingar
Gainesville, Florida
“Great Hotel But Poorly Run and Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

After a long day of touring, we dropped into the hotel without reservations on a Friday night. Quoted price was 70 Euro per person, B&B, which seems rather pricey for Mullingar, Ireland, in October, but hotel was clean, modern and conveniently located. Room was clean, decently sized and well equipped. Hotel included a Spa/Pool/Gym, had an in-house bar/café and a restaurant.
We opted to eat at a Chinese Restaurant at the far end of the parking lot and the food and service there, was excellent.
Returning to the hotel, the very large lobby was PACKED with people. The Hotel was hosting some sort of Graduation Celebration for about 50 or 60 people, but that hardly made a dent in their occupancy. THAT event would be fine, a non-event, as it were, had they done so in any one of a number of attractive and colorful areas scattered around the Ground Floor. Instead, for some inexplicable reason -- the Group INSISTED on milling about the large lobby area -- which required other guests to carefully maneuver through the throngs of fancily-dressed revelers, each and every time they wished to enter or exit the hotel, converse with reception, visit the bar -- or use the elevators. This was NOT a temporary or fleeting thing, either. It continued, at least, until 10:00 PM, that I KNOW of -- as that was the last time that I Braved The Gauntlet, in order to step outdoors for a smoke.
The Celebration continued until around 5 AM -- at least that was the approximate time that MOST of our fellow guests on the fourth floor loudly announced their 'Good Nights' to all and stumbled and bumbled their giggling selves into their rooms.

It was about 6:30 AM when one of the partiers on the third floor decided that it would be Great Craic to stuff a towel into a trash can, place it in the middle of the hallway and set it afire! When the BLARING fire alarm sounded, my wife called the front desk and was advised that, "It's fine, now. Everything is just Grand. The problem has been sorted. No, I shouldn't think that you need to evacuate your rooms AT THIS TIME. "

Probably NOT the best comment to mention to my half-awake wife.

Even though the problem HAD been Sorted, the staff was either unable or incapable of silencing the alarm. About 6:45, in various stages of dress and disarray, MANY of the guests managed to make their way to the Lobby-- BY STAIRS -- since the elevators were rendered inoperable by the triggered Alarm. Assured that there was NO danger, some of the guests opined that they might as well have breakfast, but were advised that it was too early.

About 7 AM, when they finally managed to fully clear the alarm. They also GRACIOUSLY allowed that they would NOW begin serving, so about half of us decided to avail ourselves.

We departed the hotel a little before 9 AM, amid weak apologies from a somewhat flustered and over-worked desk clerk.
Can't believe that I would ever voluntarily return. It's a pity, too. Hotel was clean and modern. Staff was courteous, but rather inept. Management either didn't HAVE a plan, or chose not to share it with their staff. Party should have been moved OUT of the Lobby and Fire alarm issue shouldn't have taken an hour to resolve.

Room Tip: Find out before, if they have a Special Event planned.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Was in Ireland at the weekend and stop here for lunch the food was very tasty I had the lamb stew with vegetable it was a buffet style service at 20 euro for two was a good price to when I've back in Ireland I will eat here again

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

i went to mullingar on a four day break, to revisit my old home town. i was very impressed with the hotel and staff service. Breakfast was included in the hotel stay and was very nice. i will be looking into booking the hotel again on another visit. the hotel room was very clean and shower faclities were excellent. The bed was very comfy and had a very good night sleep. the times for breakfast were very good and gave us a lye in on weekends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

This is my first time to ever write a review. I felt i should after our night in the Mullingar Park Hotel.Five of us stayed on an overnight evening B&B deal. It was extremely busy when we arrived due to dancing competitions being held in the hotel and valentines weekend. The staff were extremely helpful and they were so courteous and helpful despite the hotel being busy. By evening time all the dancers had left and we could laze around if the bar and reception area. Our evening meal was lovely, once again the staff were very nice offering us more food throughout our meal. They didnt rush us even when we realised it was midnight and we were still chatting in the restaurant hours after our meal had finished. Rooms and hotel were exceptionally clean. We used the leisure facility it was lovely. The lockers in the Changing room could do with a spruce up Some had signs of wear and tear. Other than that it is my only complaint. We would happily come again.

Stayed February 2013
Kinnegad, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just returned from overnight stay, we have stayed over after concerts /weddings ,impossible to find any reason to criticise this Venue ,The food is simply the best i have encountered.the leisure centre.& the quality of accommodation is second to none,we were treated to a warm reception by a smiling receptionist " Denise".Hard to beleive its just 20 minutes down the road .Great place to unwind & chillax.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mullingar-Park, Manager at Mullingar Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Coleman R,

I would like to thank-you for taking the time to share your opinion of your recent stay at the Mullingar Park Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that the food was "simply the best you have encountered."

I will pass on your kind comments to Denise.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mullingar Park Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

enniskillen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights at this exceptional hotel and we could not find ant faults from the start to the end of our stay.
From the friendliness of the entire staff from reception to bar and dinning room they were all very welcoming . Even with being under pressure on the Sunday evening at a function at which 1200 people attended they were superb.The standard of food at lunchtime again at dinner and at breakfast time was superb and faultless.
My wife and I both will definitely be back at this outstanding hotel. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Possibly pick a front room location to avoid the noise of the heating system
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bowlerEnniskillen,

Thank-you for taking the time to write the lovely review of your recent visit to the Mullingar Park Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read that both your wife and you had a wonderful stay and that you could not find any faults from the start to the end of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mullingar Park Hotel in the near future.

With King Regards & Best Wishes,

Trim, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Had our work Christmas party here in December 2012 and a few of us decided to stay for the whole weekend...BIG MISTAKE! I have been on a lot of weekends away and I must say that this hotel was by far the worst I have stayed in. I have stayed in better hostels. Firstly there was an issue with ordering wine for our group, it took 4 different waiting staff and a manager before we finally got to order wine. Breakfast the next morning was a complete joke. There wasn't near enough food to feed the crowd that were at breakfast and even when I ordered food off the menu it was given to someone else. We had a person who was coeliac in our group and the hotel were informed of this well in advance. This did not make it less of an "issue". There was no gluten free bread and we were informed of this as a member of the waiting staff shouted it to us across the restaurtant. The same day we had treatments booked in the "spa" which was a glorified room with various beauty appliances and products. Having been told that the three of us were booked in at 2pm we arrived down to be told that there was only one therapist and that all our treatments were one after the other. This meant we spent the whole day waiting around. This was very disappointing as we rang to clarify several times! Extremely unprofessional! While waiting around for our treatments two of us went to the bar for food. What a nightmare. My friend got a panini which was stone cold, even having sent it back it remained cold. While I was at the bar ordering drinks I was handed my friends "reheated" panini and told "Here there is your friend's food". The worst manners, or lack thereof I have EVER experienced from a waiter. As if all of this wasn't bad enough we of course complained to a manager, who assured us she would get the general manager to contact us. This never happened. I personally rang the hotel and they finally got back to me and PROMISED to send us a complimentary night in the hotel and to our surprise (sense the sarcasm) this NEVER came. I hate giving places bad reviews but The Mullingar Park Hotel were given chance after chance to rectify this issue and did not. I wouldn't let my dog stay in this hotel! AVOID!!!!! Oh and our room was freezing cold on arrival! This hotel couldn't care less about value for money, good service or customer satisfaction!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mullingar-Park, Manager at Mullingar Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear EmilyB811989,

It is with much disappointment that I read your comment about your stay with us during December last. Our sincerest apologies to you for the way your compliant was handed by the Manager you spoke with. Every member of the team here at the Mullingar Park Hotel strives to make each guests stay a memorable experience.

However, it clearly failed on this occasion. Whilst I realise you have spoken with my General Manager on the 17th January. I hope you find his personal response to you satisfactory and that you will have a more pleasant and pleasing experience when you come to stay with us shortly. I hope you received your complimentary nights stay away.

With my best regards and wishes.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Been to Mullingar Park Hotel? Share your experiences!