“The epitome of relaxation” 4 of 5 stars

Bloomfield House Hotel, Leisure Club and Spa
Belvedere, Mullingar, Ireland   |
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Mullingar
Carlow, Ireland
“The epitome of relaxation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Old world country house hotel located in an amazing setting on the shores of Lough Ennell.. Surrounded by lush countryside, rolling hills & horses. Very friendly & helpful staff, they couldn't do enough for us! A really relaxing break. The spa was a little disappointing as there a few small issues which could be improved on, but are really just a matter of more attention to detail, and would make all the difference. Great food, comfortable lounging areas, fabulous walks in grounds & nearby locality. Entry to Belvedere House is complementary to hotel guests, and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the lake- it's a beautiful scene to wake up to.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

536 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed in Bloomfield House Hotel on the 8th and 9th of this month and had a great time. We booked the presidential suite, which was a treat and something we had never done before but I must say it was a great move as it wasn't that expensive when compared to a lot of other hotels that we looked at and the room was fantastic.
The staff in the hotel were excellent and every one of them were helpful and very easy to deal with and the food was top class.
I know I sound like I am working for the hotel but genuinely the reason is that we enjoyed the break so much.
One word of advice for the hotel though would be to re-visit the directions given on the website for people traveling from Cork as we were, because they are very out of date and don't mention that you can bypass Abbeyleix, Portlaois and Tullamore and cut about 45mins from your journey but that does not take from the experience in the hotel itself which is, as I have said excellent. |

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I were responsible for arranging a weekend for nine people. We were delighted we picked this hotel. The scenery, the setting and hotel facilities were superb. Everything was top class, the facilities, the food in the restaurant and the wonderful staff--- nothing too much trouble. Many thanks to Adrian for all the help in making our job so much easier. We will be back

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed in the Bloomfield House Hotel & Spa with my family,2 nights, 3 days. When we checked into the hotel, There wasn't much of a friendly welcome within the atmosphere, And also It was really noisy in the lobby area. The decor of the hotel in general was outdated, and needs a new modern decor throughout the hotel. The cleanliness was above average in the hotel. Saturday morning when we all went down for breakfast a waitress showed us our table ever so polity. As for the breakfast menu maybe more choice of variety. I asked a waitress could we have some pancakes? and she said yes no problem. She came back with just the one plate, and i said could i have some for all of us,She had a disgusted look on her face? i don't know why really. So this was very poor service for us. Dinner menu needs to have more of a choice of food. On Sunday morning breakfast was better, and a happier service within. At dinner, the staff were well more nicer and polite. I liked the rooms but needs update also. Hotel needs more things to for teenagers as my two teens were a bit bored. Wifi needs to be fixed and make it better use.I don't know if we will be back to stay but i will for a visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ramelton, Donegal, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed in the Bloomfield House Hotel & Spa with a group of friends 3 years ago and wanted to return with my husband hoping it would as good as it was then and we booked in for 3 nights rest and relaxation. We availed of the fantastic offer of staying 2 nights B&B including 2 evening meals with the 3rd night free when bookin in on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday at a cost of only €149pps. We were greeted every time by the most friendly and helpful staff, be that in at Reception, the Bar, the Dining Room, Gym/pool or the Spa. They couldn't do enough for us. The ambience and decor was beautiful as was our room. The food was fantastic wherever we ate in the hotel and compliments to all the kitchen staff. On our last day :( we indulged in a spa treatment that was thoroughly relaxing. Overall this is a truly wonderful gem that needs to be discovered by all and we offer our sincere thanks to all the management & staff for making our stay so enjoyable. We will definitely will return with family.

Room Tip: All rooms in the Bloomfield House Hotel & Spa in Mullingar are of the same excellent standard of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed here in July 2012 as part of a 40-strong wedding party. I could sum it up by saying that the entire process - from booking to check-out - was superb. But that alone would not do this hotel justice.

It's true that the hotel complex (and indeed the rooms) are spread out over quite a vast area, so depending on the luck of the draw you could find yourself a long way from reception. That is my only problem with this hotel.

The room was more than adequate for a single traveler, with a queen bed, ensuite shower / bathtub, hot drink facilities, wifi and a nice view of the lake. I understand that some of the rooms only have a view of the car park, again this seems to be a question of luck.

The wedding went absolutely smoothly with the ceremony taking place in a gorgeous Georgian-style room, drinks in a nice bar overlooking the aforementioned lake, and the meal held in an atrium-style function room.

About that meal - first class. Amongst the courses were pecan pie, prawn cocktail and salmon, all prepared to perfection. They were even good enough to supply a projector for my needlessly-elaborate best man's speech.

All in all, a fine hotel.

I cannot rate any of the activities, since I was far too nervous to try any of them out, but the cooked breakfast buffet was superb.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room if you can.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
County Kerry, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

As a family of five adults, we spent a weekend at this hotel on the first weekend of February.

We arrived at 7pm on Friday evening, and first impressions on driving into the car-park were a bit disappointing and very different from the website photographs. The hotel complex sprawls in all directions with the least aesthetic part facing the car park entrance.

However, the reception area (facing away from the road) was warm and comfortable and the receptionist that evening gave us a warm welcome and checked us in quickly and efficiently. She also gave us spot-on directions into Mullingar itself as we need to make some quick purchases.

To access our rooms we had to navigate the reception area, then down a narrow corridor and then right through the main bar/restaurant to reach the vestibule with the hotel's one and only lift (I did not exagerate the sprawling nature of the hotel believe me). The lift which was very small and halting took us up to our rooms which were located on the first and second floors, but where the room numbers start with 20. . . . and 40. . .. respectively (can't understand why?).

One room was facing the rear of the hotel with a view of a flat-roof etc. but was spacious with a double bed and two singles, whilst the room my husband and I faced the side of the hotel and had a nice enough view of woodland and lakeside. Both rooms were very warm on arrival and we turned the radiators off in both to make them more comfortable. However, overall we were pleased with the rooms and found our stay comfortable. Just one note though - our windowsill had a notice advising guests that in summer there is greenfly and that windows should not be opened as a result. That might make it stifling in Summer?

Breakfast both mornings was a self-service buffet of both hot and cold items - there was a good selection and staff on hand were extremely helpful with everyone being seated quickly.

On Saturday we had a selection of sandwiches with soup for lunch - the sandwiches were cold and had obviously been chilled for a while - not appetising.

However, Dinner on Saturday evening in the Brasserie was really lovely with a good choice on the menu. Each of us tried something different and everyone was very pleased with the standard of food, its presentation and service on the night.

I used the leisure centre swimming pool during my stay and found it to be well-sized and clean, even if the decor is like that in the hotel, a little dated. Luckily I brought a towel down from my room with me, because on my arrival at the leisure centre reception desk, there were no towels available (receptionist seemed mystified as to why) and there were a number of female guests in the changing room who had just come out of the pool and were shivering waiting for towels to be found for them. I think staff had to do a trawl of empty rooms in the hotel to get some.

Overall, this hotel's most outstanding feature is its staff - everyone went out of their way to make our stay pleasant and comfortable. And it's not that its not a nice hotel - it is - its just that its a little dated and needs a bit more attention to detail. Would I go again? - probably not I think.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the woods and lake, but not in summer time because the hotel itself warns agai...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bloomfield House Hotel, Leisure Club and Spa? Share your experiences!