“Harsh reviews !!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 19 Mullingar B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Harsh reviews !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for two nights for a birthday weekend and having read the harsh reviews on this site we were anxious about what we would find on arrival.The hotel is perfectly situated in the centre of Mullingar and there is ample parking at the rear of the hotel for a small cost.We were checked in by the very welcoming and polite lady Kerry who gave us great advice on the local area.We then had a drink in the lovely quaint and cosy bar.The bar/resturant area is immaculate with a lovely relaxed atmosphere.Our room was a good size and clean although it is a bit dated, and it really could do with a makeover especially the bathroom.The bed was lovely and comfortable and it is a quiet hotel which led to two very good nights sleep. Breakfast on both days was cooked to order with a good choice and very filling.An iron was delivered to my room immediatley upon request by the very helpful manager and we found all staff we met to be polite and welcoming.Our only gripe was an old tv and lack of channels.Overall this is a lovely hotel where we found the staff very friendly and helpful and excellent value for money and we would have no problem returning.We can understand some peoples disappointment regarding the bedrooms but overall this hotel offers excellent value for money and doesnt deserve some of the criticisim it has recieved.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We booked a quad room. Lovely room.. very clean & comfortable. The receptionist Kerry couldn't have been more helpful. Lovely breakfast in the room (for an additional fee - totally worth it!)
The bad reviews on here do not match anything we saw at the hotel. It was excellent in every way! Would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013
Armagh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We dropped into the hotel for lunch. when the lunch came out the portion of potatoes was very small, more potatoes were given on request. A second slice of wheaten bread was also requested to accompany the soup ordered as the slice given was a heal of bread. My sister was given one slice then to be charged for her 2nd. When each family requested to pay individually this presented a difficulty for the staff, naely Paddy and another blonde lady behind the bar. After 'Paddy' sorted what we owed on a piece of paper he overcharged us by calculating incorrectly and gave the wrong change. He refused to accept his mistake and was very rude. He gave us the difference in his miscalculation but not the difference in change. We are still awaiting the difference in the post when their takings were totalled! When i asked for a card with the hotel details she replied we don't have any and i don't have time to write them down for you. She added you got more than your fair share making reference to the 2nd scoop of potato. Their total lack of customer service is beyond belief. Both members of staff were rude and incompetent in dealing with the public and money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The hotel rooms look nothing like the pictures they provide. Very plain and cold feel, paint peeling off the walls and a very "cheap hostel"-like bathroom. The staff were pleasant but very rarely seen behind the reception desk, we waited there for 10 minutes before someone arrived to check us in! The breakfast nice, but you only get one of everything.. I don't think a second sausage would be too much to ask for! We were only staying for one night and didn't have to spend a lot of time in the room so it was fine, I don't think I'd have lasted much longer!! Didn't try the try the food from the tapas bar, we had intended to.. but it seemed quite pricey for what it was!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Perpignan, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Huge rooms
Great breakfast
Right in the middle of town
Very nice staff - helpful
Ample parking right behind the hotel
All bars & night clubs very close
Price for rooms very cheap for such a good hotel

• Stayed December 2012
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Austin Friar when travelling around Ireland. The service was impeccable and the staff so warm and friendly. We were greeted at reception and offered a drink on arrival then shown to our room with our bags already delivered to our room.
We were given travel advice of the town and its surroundings and advised of buses to use etc.
Whilst there my partner was ill and one of the staff members actually drove my partner to the Drs then hosiptal which is way beyond normal service and expected service.
The rooms were very nice and the cleanliness of the amenities was excellent.
We will certainly be using this hotel again and recommending it to our family and friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I am writing this from the luxury of a comfy warm bed in The Mullingar Park Hotel, a comfort looking at previous reviews I don't think I would have enjoyed at Austin Friar Hotel.

This property was the single worst hotel I have had the experience of using - in any country or county, Ireland or abroad.. I say using because we got to use the bell at the lobby - and that all.
On our journey to Mullingar, we recieved a call from the manager who said our Visa Debit card could not be pre-authorised as it was a debit, I was 20 minutes so I was happy enough to settle this in full on arrival...

When I arrived at the hotel, the manager said that I cancelled by booking and hung up, clearly a blatant lie. I asked him would my card be charged and he walked away, I rang the buzzer and he came again, and after repeating this a few times and confirmed that my card would be charged because I cancelled the room outside of the five days required. At this point, he became aggressive, not physically but vocally, by shouting "get out" "get out of my [--] hotel" I refused
In the end after some protest, we left and my card has been charged €69 and I have sent this to visa to investigate as a fraudulent transaction. I am able to handle myself personally, but I found this person very aggressive and intimidating in his overall manner.

I will making complaints to visa against this business as a merchant, I will also be making complaint to the Westmeath Chamber of Commerce, and formal complaints to booking.com for putting me in the direction of this unsavoury premises. This place makes Faulty Towers look like the Hilton.

To be fair, there was another man we dealt with in so far as welcoming us and he was very nice but wasn't able to do anything with our booking as it was dealt with by Basil/James.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Austin Friar Hotel? Share your experiences!