“Good local food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Ireland
“Good local food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have had many enjoyable evening meals here since the current owner and management took over, the experience has always been enjoyable, I have recomended it to people all of whoom have had an enjoyable experience here. I have never attended a function there but have heard it recommended by people who have. In my opinion this is probably one of the best restaurants to eat in around Nenagh, the menu is un-fussy and concentrates on well prepared local meats and food, the portions are very generous and the steak is to die for, they also have some amazing salads in my experience always freshly prepared and seasonal.
The only food which has failed to impress me at the Thatched Cottage is the deserts, they are OK but very average made all the more noticeable after the excellent starters and main course.
One of the best points of this restaurant does not seem to have been mentioned by any previous reviewer, the Wine list... At first glance it is a small list but the wines are good and well priced, other than the limited choice it is probably the best wine list around Nenagh and definitely the best value list of any restaurant in the Nenagh area, I realise this is not a major consideration for every one, but if like me you think a good wine is part of the requirements for a good meal out then the Thatched Cottage will not dissapoint you.
And don't be put off by the kitch wonderland look outside, it is much nicer inside.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“So glad it's close”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I live locally and so have been here numerous times over the years with good, bad and indifferrent experiences. With new management I am now looking for excuses to eat here. Carvery lunch on a work day, Saturday evening dinner for two, Sunday afternoon with small children and busy work drinks and food...all are wonderful. I brought two three year old boisterous boys with me one afternoon and they had a great time outside playing and loved their chips in a bucket. They were really impressed with the service as they couldn't decide if they wanted orange or blackcurrant and squealed with delight when they were brought a jug of each. We just had starters of sticky chicken and baked cheese and it was wonderful. I returned with my husband (and he's very fussy). He was so impressed with meal, service, price and wine choice that he booked a large family function to be held in September. I'm looking forward to bringing all my family here and know they will be jealous that we have this gem on our doorstep.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tipperary
“Weddings @ the Thatch Cottage”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I attended a friends wedding here this weekend. The function room is really lovely, great character with all of the antiques, red-brick walls. I am not sure the kitchen is big enough to cope with the demandsof the function room, along with bar / restaurant service. The salad under the starter had been prepared long befor we arrived - it was very soggy. There was butter on the table, but only to tease us as no bread appeared. The main meal was extremely slow being served. The boss lady / woman in charge looked very stressed. Quite a few guests noticed how she gave out to the staff during service - I dread to think what happens behind the scenes if this is how she acts in front of guests. I think the problem was that they were understaffed, as my cousin commented that he had queued for 20 mins for a beer after dinner.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
tipperary
“Yuuuummm!:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Ive eaten her numerous times, at lunch and also at the weekend in the bar and restaurant and I have always been satisfied. There has never been any problems and the food is always fabulous! lunch time menu is great value for money and a great portion! your steaks are cooked to perfection but i dont understand the few cherry tomatoes that comes with it! other than that i love visiting the Tatch! staff are lovely too.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ireland
“Nice menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We combined an overnight stay at local B&B Maryville with a meal at the Thatched Cottage.

It's interesting to see how this establishment has changed over the decades. For a rural pub the menu was extensive. The portion sizes are substantial - it was the first time in ages that I had to concede defeat and leave some food behind!

It is good to see this establishment operating successfully again.

• Visited May 2012