“Sad watching something so good get so bad.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Jenks, Oklahoma
“Sad watching something so good get so bad.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

I recently choose cafe Rue Orleans for a get together with friends. As my wife and I had moved back to the area after living in Houston for years. We wanted to have a nice dinner to catch up.

I made a reservation a couple of weeks in advance. During my first phone call I was told "We don't take reservations!" and was hung up on. Since I was a regular customer when living in NWA I knew that they did take reservations and called back a day later. This time I was met with the answer " We don't take reservations unless it is a part of 6 or more." I let them know that I understood and I had a party of 6 and the reservation was made.

Lets face it, this place is not in a fancy area and doesn't have great parking, but in the past the food and service has been able to make up for those character flaws. I personally had sat down with the owner and we have discussed BBQ, and her reasons for coming to NWA. She was a great host, and has a great personality.

The reservation day had arrived Finally. We where all excited to sit down and have a great meal! The Shrimp appetizer we ordered was great! It was spicy, but not to spicy for the region. Unfortunately, when the salad arrived it looked semi limp and was WAY over dressed. I personally ate two bites and pushed it aside in anticipation for of my meal. I happened to look to my right and watched as my friend pulled multiple hairs out of his salad and ate it. I asked him to send it back, but he said he wasn't worried about it.

Our main dishes all arrived and my alligator dish seemed kind of bland overall. The larger pieces of alligator where underdone, while the smaller where overcooked and chewy. The Jambalaya consisted of overcooked rice, that really tasted like glue with no seasonings whatsoever. I tried my wife's crawfish etouffee and can honestly say i wasn't too disappointed. the flavors where not anywhere near what I've personally had in the past at cafe rue Orleans . Nor anywhere near as good as you can get in New Orleans.

After we paid and left we all decided to go have a drink as a local bar before figuring out what to do with he rest of the evening. After a few hours one of friends let us all know that he had also had hair in his salad AND he even has a piece of hair that was fried and served with his meal!!!! Shortly after he let us all know that he was not feeling well and for the rest of the evening he spent a lot of time in the
restroom. Soon after his wife let us know the same time. She also ate off of his plate and spent a lot time in the restroom that evening.

We all decided that we would not be going back to the establishment again. Personally I tried calling the restaurant and asking for the Manager. I was met with a young lady who told me "The owner isn't here. and we don't have a manger" "What can i help you with?" I told her my story and was promptly hung up on.

In short two friends found hair in their food. Two other friends got sick after eating there. A few years ago, this place was worth the price tag, but definitely not anymore. The terrible atmosphere and sub-par service, left all six people in my party wishing we had gone elsewhere. We won't be going back.

Visited April 2014

Chicago, Illinois
“This is NOT New Orleans food!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I went to this restaurant for dinner - the place is pretty casual - parking is on a steep hill. There was a party of 6 when I arrived and only one waitress. She seemed to be more interested in the folks there rather than serving any food....anyway I ordered the mumbo-gumbo and the crawfish etouffee. The gumbo was terrible - resembling a tomato ketchup base with some rubbery shrimp thrown in. The crawfish etouffee was a watery soupy mess. Needless to say I did not order dessert - having been punished twice with what is the Arkansas version of New Orleans cooking.
I've been to New Orleans several times and this does not even come close to the fast food versions of what you get there. The waitress was clueless when I told her about the gumbo - she just brought out the crawfish and when I returned that only a quarter eaten, she asked me what I wanted for dessert!! I had to go to a Moroccan restaurant down the road to satisfy my appetite - this is not New Orleans food - don't waste your money.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
springfield
“If you HAVEN'T been to Louisiana, you'll love it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I love those far away places that make my husband say "where ARE you taking me?" He looked it up on line and said "we're going to a diner in a parking lot of a motel??" Yes. We entered through the first floor, which smelled like fish, but must have been the bar, obviously a regular mistake because we were sent upstairs. go behind the building and access there. The bldg. is surrounded with windows overlooking a neighborhood. Unique! We ordered Abita beers, (loved the Amber!), and hubby got the Gator bits and potatoes while I got the eggplant dish, (forget the name), that had 3 thick slices of eggplant stacked with two crab cakes between slices, covered in a seafood sauce and garlic shrimp. TOO DIE FOR!! I thought the Gator bits looked boring, but hubby loves fried food and the batter wasn't too thick and perfectly spiced with a dipping sauce that mirrored my seafood sauce. We were both in heaven! The staff was great, all wanting us to have a delicious experience. We arrived at 8:30p.m. and were stuffed, paid $52 and leaving with boxed left-overs by 9:15. Almost too quick of an experience, but service was just that great. I'm a pansy when it comes to heat and this food was right there, but didn't take me out, so I'm thrilled.Will tell everyone at home to go!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fargo, North Dakota
“Cajun at it's best.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our kids have eaten there a few times, we went there with them. The place is not fancy. It is however busy and the food is why. Everything from gator bites, to fried crawfish tails were well prepared, great sauces, and just the right amount of heat. The Catfish Tchoupitoulas is Catfish filet stuffed with crab cake, topped with seafood sauce, served with potatoes. This is a must and was the hit of the night; but all the meals were very good. The service was prompt and friendly. The dinner salad is plain and could use a little imagination. Yes, the place could use a coat of paint and a little general sprucing up. But, if you want a great Cajun meal, this is the place to go. Nice selection of Abita beers too.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Texarkana, Arkansas, United States
“Wonderful Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Cajun with a soul food twist. Service is excellent - company incredible - food is finger lickin' good.

Bloody Mary's could get ya' in trouble. No better Cajun outside Louisiana. Take time to meet Maudie and Carla - you will love them.

• Visited November 2013