“lovely room and great breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Market Square, Roscommon, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Roscommon
Ireland
“lovely room and great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

The room we stayed in was beautifully decorated and the huge bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast was a feast. I opted for the porridge and then a bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. My husband's full Irish was fantastic looking - 3 sausages, rashers, black & white pudding, tomato, egg, mushrooms and potatoes. He didn't eat again for the rest of the day.

• Liked — the decor
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

Late one night we needed a place to stay, anywhere would have done. Someone in the local fast food restaurant recommended Gleesons and that's where we went. The building is on the main road, in the main square. We rang the bell and the owner opened the door to let us in. He greeted us warmly and introduced himself as Eamonn (pro. Ay-mon).

It was a quiet time of year, just after the holiday season, and it was a night during the week, so he gave us a free upgrade to larger rooms and also a small discount. I was wondering if the rooms would be good since this is not a "hotel" but they were great. A fine size, well decorated, comfortable large beds, clean and pristine bathrooms.

And free use of the hallway computer with free broadband internet access. They also have a free wireless network so you can use your own computer also, you might need to move around a bit to get a good reception, but hey it is free!

The central location of Gleesons is perfect for anyone wishing to walk around the town with close access to many shops, restaurants, bars and even a nightclub or two. The car park at the rear is well off the main road.

We ended up staying for 5 nights, during this time Eamonn and Mary (his wife), plus all the friendly staff, made us very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. He even gave me the amazing Suite for 1 night at the same price as a regular room.

The Suite I stayed in really impressed me. It has the feel that every piece of furniture in the room is from the classiest antiques suppplier in Ireland. The dark woods of the wardrobe, chests and bedside tables, the sumptuous mattress of the majestic bed, the rich colours of the bedroom walls and carpet, and the marble tiled bathroom made me feel like I was staying in finest hotel.

If you want a romantic setting then I strongly recommend the suites. I stayed in the one one the left when you go up the stairs. It has a view out the window of the main street. But don't worry about noise because they have fitted 2 sets of windows and when both are closed then its as quiet as one of the rooms along the side or the back.

Food:
The dinner is superb. I tried a different meal each of the 5 nights and every one of them was tasty and a fine size. The service is prompt, friendly and always with a smile. Its like you know these people but they are putting on a professional front because they are at work, but that wramth you get from someone you know well is always there. Sounds daft but if you go then you will know what I mean.

An example of their hospitality is they happily agreed to my Mum's request to keep some meat she had bought in their freezer. This included a lef of lamb, sausages, bacon etc. They kept if for most of the time we were there and didnt charge or complain, just happily agreed. Its their warmth and approachability that made us feel we could ask them this in the first place.

Overall this place was a real find. True comfort. Real warmth. A good dinner, a good night's sleep, a good price.

Stayed January 2007
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

Just wanted to say that we had a really great dinner there (we also stayed there). Average (but fine) setting, but truly amazing burger with a great side salad and great drinks which we brought up to our room. It was expensive, but very comfortable and great timing for us as we were exhausted and hungry (and thirsty!)

• Liked — Food!
  • Disliked — A little loud outside, but a Saturday night and we were in the front.
  • Tips/Secrets — I wish I got the Sticky Toffee Pudding (instead of the Profiteroles)
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2006

A gem of a hotel in Roscommon. Friendly staff, immaculate room and all with a laid back local feel - no corporate 'could be anywhere in the world' feeling. The food is really good from breakfast through to dinner.

• Stayed April 2006
Vail, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2006

Eammon & Mary have done a grand job of making Gleeson Townhouse feel like you are in the home of a favorite relative. I and the other members of my performance quartet, Whispers of the West, stayed at Gleeson Townhouse last July enroute to a Summer Session where we were to teach in Monasterevin. I had made the acquaintance of Eammon & Mary the previous year, as they had graciously allowed me to use their front parlor for a photo shoot. We were warmly greeted by Eammon upon our check-in. The rooms we had were comfortable and we could actually open the windows for fresh air while we slept. The food was delicious, both the breakfast that was served every morning and the dinner that we chose to have in their dining room. Mary's scones are some of the best I have ever eaten. The availability of their car park was also very welcome. They recommended a pub where we could find traditional music and that became our second home. We are heading back again this July to teach once again. Our reservations have already been made at Gleeson Townhouse. I wouldn't stay any where else!

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2005

stayed here for 2 nights last week and thought it was a lovely guesthouse.
the food is excellent

Been to Gleeson's Townhouse and Restaurant? Share your experiences!