“Not wheelchair accessible (despite what you're told by reception)...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Abbey Hotel

Save Saved
You added Abbey Hotel to your Saves list
Abbey Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Galway Road | Roscommon, Roscommon, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Roscommon
Dublin
“Not wheelchair accessible (despite what you're told by reception)...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

All of the bedrooms are a lovely size, the bathroom was great size wise, and had plenty of grab-rails... Close but no cigar!...

The showers are Over-Bath, so not usable by wheelchair users... When I asked about accessible showers, I was told that there is one in the Leisure Centre... Trouble is, the Leisure Centre's only accessible from the hotel via a flight of stairs...

So I had to go out of the hotel's front door, turn right, go down to the end of the driveway, and then turn right into the Leisure Centre...

So in order to have a shower, not only did I have to leave my room, I had to leave the building!!!... This was in the middle of November!!!... I was almost hypothermic by the time I got back to my room... NOT acceptable... When I complained at the desk, it appeared to be a case of "That's how it is, tough"... I had at least expected the bill to be even slightly reduced... NOTHING!...

The hotel itself has charcter, and most of the staff are nice enough... Gentleman who owns the lovely Cocker Spaniel is a really nice person, and good ambassador for the hotel... (Catering were very accomodating of my food allergy), but access is diabolical...

C....

P.S.... Would I reccomend this hotel to a friend???... Not if they have a mobility difficulty!...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

This was my second wedding at the Abbey Hotel and as first was a lovely experience was looking forward to my second trip. It did not disappoint. Welcome punch devine as were hors d'ourves on arrival, what was brillant was the waiters actually brought out both to the crowds that were gathered outside as weather was roasting.

Announcement of wedding over the intercom alerting everyone the meal was about to start very handy.

Food fabulous, plenty of it. No waiting between courses but neither did one feel rushed.

Toilets both off the ballroom and the public area had a large wellstocked basket of perfumes, deodrants, sewing kit etc.

Only negative I witnessed was a guest having to leave the wedding ballroom bar to purchase a hot whiskey at the main bar as they "didnt do them here". I really feel the guest should have been told "we'd bring it down to you".

Would def look forward to any other future events in the Abbey.

• Stayed June 2010
dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

I too stayed in this hotel for a wedding, the gardens were beautiful on a sunny day and our children enjoyed the outdoor space and the pool, However we were kept awake by a piercing fire alarm for almost an hour, which my 82 year old mother in law found very upsetting.... I did complain and got an apology and a small discount.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Mullingar, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for a night while attending a wedding recently. The hotel looks tired. The wedding was ok, food good although you can see that they are trying to save money all over. Where our problems started was on going to bed for the night. Very hot evening (not something often experienced in Ireland), we could not open any of our windows. There was no air circulation in the room and no way of cooling the room down. The bed was as hard as a rock. I have stayed in many hotels and have never slept(sic) on such a hard matress. The floor would have been more comfortable. At 2.30am the fire alarm went off and carried on going off until 3.15am.I have to admit it did not wake us as we could not sleep due to the hard matress.
On going down to reception in the morning our complaint was scoffed at. Nobody ever complained about the room and they would mention this problem to housekeeping.The alarm problem was due to a guest setting off the alarm and this was not the hotels fault. I would agree if it went off for 1 minute but ringing for 45 minutes?
On speaking to the proprieter he stated that the bed was a theraputic bed and was an aquired taste. He had slept there and found it fine. In other words we were "mistaken". As for the alarm that was somebody elses problem. This hotel forgets that they are actually contracted to give you a comfortable nights sleep.
In the present situation hotels should be doing everything to retain customers. Paying €130.00 euros for the room and getting a inferior nights sleep and not even a sincere apology, what a joke. Say clear of the Abbey or if you go there stay clear of room 27.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

Myself,my husband and our two toddler daughters stayed at this(family run) little gem and will definately return...the family room was a good size,the leisure centre fantastic and the staff could not have been nicer/friendlier or more helpful...We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would reccommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
co galway, ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

I stayed with a group from work. We were treated extremely well from arrival. the staff couldn't have been more friendly or accomodating. The rooms, although not modern, were clean & comfortable.
We dined in the restaurant on the friday evening, and despite the fact that the restaurant was very busy, the service was 5 star and the food delicious!
I would definately return to the Abbey and would recommend it anyone. Probably not suited to younger groups, ie, hen parties ect, but it has a very warm and relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2010
Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

Theres not a lot to say really apart from this hotel really hasnt a clue that were in a recession and people will simply not put up with paying €99 for a double room of this standard and in this location. On arrival to the hotel the reception area and bar is nice and what you would expect from a 3* hotel, what you do not expect is to pay €99 for B&B. Im glad to stay we only stayed here as we had a family event in the town so luckily i wont have to waste any more money in this hotel in the near future. I recently stayed in a number of 5* hotels and I have had meals included for only fractionally more that i paid for this hotel, in the current climate when hotels and businesses are struggling i would really have no sympathy if this hotel is boarded up and consigned to the history books. At least they could make use of the 1970's furniture for fire wood!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!