“A groupon deal” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Galway Road | Roscommon, Roscommon, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Roscommon
“A groupon deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We had purchased 3 Groupon vouchers of which we used two on this stay. Each voucher I bought was for an overnight stay for two, breakfast, wine and chocolates and cost £59 each so £177 in total. Our vouchers were all bought separately and at the full voucher price not a follow on stay, so I assumed that each night we were there we would have the bottle of sparkling wine and chocolates waiting in our room, however this only happened on the first night which was disappointing.

We arrived on a cold Tuesday in November and had a warm greeting from the receptionist Claire. I had emailed the vouchers after booking two nights by email but for some reason one of them didn't go through so I had re-emailed and said maybe it just hadn't gone through yet as I had used my main email address. The following morning (Weds) it still hadn't sent so I showed the second voucher which I fortunately had saved to my phone in a pdf, to Claire so she could write down the numbers needed.

The room - no. 82 - clean and tidy. The bathroom was spotless and had plenty of towels and toiletries. Hot water straight away so top marks there. The furniture in the room was both attractive and functional. Very much in keeping with the castle facade.

The room was quite warm which was lovely when we had just arrived in from the cold. Tea and coffee facilities were located in a beautiful pullout unit underneath the tv which was attached to the wall. Old tv but perfectly serviceable.

Didn't like that there were additional beds in the room, I had just booked for myself and my husband so no need of two additional single beds. I didn't say anything about it as I figured it wasn't a huge deal. Until we wanted to watch a bit of tv and found it uncomfortable to sit on the bed and enjoy a coffee as the table and chairs were opposite the bathroom wall so couldn't use them! Two of the lamps weren't working, again not a big deal, there were plenty of others and we noticed that there was clingflim covering the smoke alarm, as our room was a non smoking room we found this a bit odd, had they recently painted and forgotten to take it off? A pet hate of mine is crooked pictures and most in room 82 are hung crookedly. In fact quite a few are around the hotel, maybe its a quirk they like?

We ate in the bar on the first night and the meal was tasty. We didn't have to wait too long which is a big thing for us. We both had the half roast chicken with peas and fries. The service was very prompt and friendly. Reasonably priced too which is another bonus.

The breakfast each morning was plentiful, a selection of cereals, juice, fresh fruit and yogurts, toast and cooked breakfast of bacon, sausages, eggs etc etc. We really didn't need to eat until well after lunchtime. Lovely view of the old Abbey ruins out of the window too.

The leisure centre was very relaxing, I enjoyed my swim and sauna. It would be handy if they could give bags for damp swimwear. The wringing out machine was very useful.

Wednesday we went out for the day, not much to see or do in Roscommon in November unfortunately but they have some lovely little gift shops and cafes. On our arrival back, our room key wouldn't work so headed down to the reception to ask why. It was clearly stated on the cardboard key cover that we were booked for two nights but they had only loaded the key up with one. This was to do with them not getting the second voucher in the email but as I had given the second voucher code in that morning before we went out, I wasn't too happy about this.

When we went to check out on Thursday, again we were questioned about the second voucher and I had to point out on the actual sheet she was holding(!!!) the second code. So we left with a bit of a sour taste about groupon vouchers or staff training in their usage and whether or not they are really welcome.

A lovely hotel with friendly staff but not sure whether I want to use my remaining Groupon voucher.....

Room Tip: We had a lovely view of the Abbey straight ahead but if you looked directly downwards then the view...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed for three days and found it excellent. Convenient to so many places of interest in the centre of Ireland. The Abbey is a lovely place to stay, the Staff are very efficient, friendly and helpful. We have already booked another stay in February and this time bringing our friends.

Room Tip: You will definitely need a car and come dressed for all seasons. Otherwise, ambience, food etc., ver...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Our family really enjoyed our break there and would highly recommend it - couldnt find one thing to fault it - well done to all the staff there. 9.5 out of 10 only reason 0.5 less is there has to be some room for improvement even if we cant find it FANTASTIC

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the abbey
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at hotel for wedding. Friendly welcome, room had everything we needed & wedding dinner was excellent. Breakfast was adequate with plenty of tea/coffee. We asked for quiet rooms and hotel very well laid out. Lovely location

• Stayed October 2013
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Just a note to say thank you for a lovely stay on 12 October.

The Bridal Suite was beautiful and so comfortable. The massages we had were very relaxing. We headed across the road the pub and asked where could we get a nice steak and were promptly sent back to the Abbey and indeed did get beautiful steaks – both cooked exactly as asked for! The meal was delicious, service was impeccable, breakfast perfect – well done to all.

We’re very happy to recommend your lovely hotel to visitors

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Before You read my review, it might be worth knowing that I have never given any hotel I have reviewed up to now such a low rating. I am the type of person who does not let a few minor hic-ups ruin my stay or lead me to give a low opinion of a place, which is why when I booked this hotel for my wife and I, we ignored the negative reviews that we seen to our peril.

We Stayed one night in the Abbey Hotel (Room 29 in the old part of the hotel) booked it through a Groupon deal. Check in was very efficient and receptionist very nice. First impressions of the room were good, nice large room with 2 queen size beds and small sofa with a little walk in wardrobe in one corner and small ensuite with shower in the other corner. Everything about the room was quaint and oozed character.
However as the evening wore on this hotels quaint character showed itself even more and more. Things like -
The musty damp like smell in the room,
Hot water coming from both the cold and hot taps,
Loose and uneven floorboards walking into the ensuite,
Majority of light fittings missing bulbs,
No TV channels on the ancient television, and when it was eventually fixed , it was not for long and we were left with only 2 channels for the rest of the stay.
Jacuzzi in leisure centre not working on the afternoon of arrival.
Oh how my wife and I felt really lucky to be staying in a room with so much character.

But It Gets Better
We got to experience a cold night while sleeping as the heating is not left on during the night and these old buildings do not retain heat.
And then the Pièce de résistance.
Went to have a shave and this time there was only cold water from both taps and the water was spurting out the rust residues from the inside of old pipes. Same residues came from the shower when I tried that. We both ended up going to the leisure centre to have a shower there and we noticed that the Jacuzzi was fixed so we though,t great at least we can have a Jacuzzi.
Sat in the Jacuzzi and could feel grit in the water looked down and it was full of sand.
Earlier at the restaurant for the buffet breakfast, the sausages, rashers and sliced fried potatoes where like leather. We packed up and were out of this calamity of a hotel by 10:30.
Never never never again

Room Tip: If you do stay then I would advise that you aviod the rooms in the old part of the building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

After my third visit to this hotel in 6 months I feel I can accurately review it.
Rooms: a lot of comments say it needs updating. I disagree, the rooms are charming and in line with the building. Very comfortable. On one visit we chose the suite in the old part & it's fabulous.
Spa: on first visit I felt it was in need of repair tiles etc, this had been done only return visit. Lovely space, good changing facilities.
Food: DELICIOUS! Those tempura batter chicken balls are to die for! I've had steaks, fish, desserts all spot on:
Breakfast: my only negative. First & second time were spot on. 3rd time everything had been deep fried, even the rashers. Didn't enjoy it at all but there was plenty of food & several
Alternatives to the 'fry'.
Staff: staff are the heart of the place, very accommodating & courteous.

Will definitely return & I would urge people to be aware of the room rates here, very good value for money. We paid either €59/€69 each time per night. Some reviewers are expecting 5* for this money.
Very pleasant place & a credit to the Greally family.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!