“Lovely Relaxing Surroundings” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Ballyfarnon, Roscommon, Ireland   |
Donegal Town, Ireland
“Lovely Relaxing Surroundings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have been to Kilronan serveral times now and I absolutely love this place. This hotel is peaceful and relaxing. The food is great and plenty of options to choose from, however can be a little expensive so I usually opt for the bar food rather than full on restaurant experience. The spa is the nicest I have been too, the pool and thermal suite are to die for!! My only criticism is that on the several occasions that I have booked spa treatments there have been bookings that they did not have recorded, times of treatments taken wrong and on one occasion they did not have a trained staff memeber on duty to carry out a treatment that was booked over a month in advance. But when you get through all the administation issues the experience is fabulous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arriving here stressed out wasn't a great start but after walking around the lake and eating afternoon tea I soon destressed considerably. Upon reaching the spa I felt in heaven. One thing, the pools here were very cold, so much so my partner or myself couldn't stay long. Amazing steam room and sauna. Pool was lovely too, although they should push to stop people using cameras in it. It was on the wall but that didn't seem to work and I wasn't happy about that at all.
So they're the two slight negatives, the cameras isn't their fault but they should stop people.
The food is wonderful and I found the waiter very knowledgeable and friendly.
On our second day staying we returned to the spa and I asked a few questions about their products and was given samples. This is the kind of service that gets people coming back, the ladies in the spa really know what they're doing. Rooms were spotless and very comfy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I have just had the most amazing experience at Kilronan Castle Hotel & Spa from the genuinely warm & friendly welcome of Sinead, to the beautiful complimentary treats in our amazing suite which had stunning views of the lake and landscape. The spa was outstanding with the best steam room I've seen. The staff in the bar and restaurant were excellent especially Sandy. We thouroughly enjojed our meal and the following morning the chef kindly cooked fresh pancakes at our request. We had such a special time and really appreciated the 5 star treatment from the minute we arrived to the minute we left. We will definately be back. Thanks so much to all the staff at Kilronan Castle for making our experience so special.

Room Tip: Room 117 is gorgeous with superb views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Stayed here with my wife on a castle hotel tour of Ireland. Our room was beautiful and very well appointed, and the food and service were both excellent. A bit of a ways off of the N4 motorway, but not difficult to find at all. I'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dub
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed here with my family. Such a beautiful place. We had a beautiful big family room (very clean) with plenty of space & lake view. Staff very friendly. Used the spa, soooo relaxing and good value too. Pool is fab. Breakfast menu is great. We all really enjoyed our night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and the hotel is nice. We ate in hotel and the food is just ok. little bit skimpy on the portions. room was nice but you can see where the cut corners in design of room. cheap fittings and fixtures and badly workmanship. my main gripe is the leisure center staff on our 3 days there we met two different male staff. They are the rudest people i have ever met working in a hotel. When we arrived to sign in there was no pen and he just simply grunted and threw the pen at me my wife asked for towles as we were guests and he had to go away and find some. The second day another male attendant was there and when we signed in he asked us had we hats and insisted we pay for the hats even as we were not going in to the pool only spa tub and sauna/steam. There was a very bad smell in changing area and the whole floor was covered with water like 1 inch of water as the showers were clogged.when i used the shower it filled up and flowed out under the door.there are no changing rooms which i find unsatisfactory for a hotel. even public pools have changing rooms. The lockers unless you have perfect eyesite are unuseable and awkard. We went to the spa tub and it was very cold and there was no steam in the steam room there was also a very bad smell of chlorine in the tub and i did not stay even it was cold the chlorine fumes were bad for my health. I complained and was told the spa tub is hot and the steam will come on soon the attendant which i suspect to be german was very rude and he was marching around and i felt he was watching us a bit too closely. The tall dark hair irish attendant needs a course on customer service as he really is a increadbly unpleasent person this is not 5 star staff and the german guy should realise that the customer is right and when someone teels him something he should act on it not give a excuse that what you just told him is wrong. The hotel is nice but was completly let down by these two staff members. I suggest managment talk to these guys and give the a role away from front desk as some people are not ment to be on front desk, I am booked in again in a couple of months for business so i will see if their attitudes changed.

Room Tip: Choose a room at back of hotel nice views of lake.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
mayo, ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Had sunday lunch here on one of the nicest days of the year. good food and staff friendly and efficient, the grounds are fab over looking the lake. plenty of paths to walk.
had a peak at the spa will have to return to try, they use elemis products if anyone is interested. may stay overnight next time as they have good offers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kilronan Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!