The room was fine for the price, the kitchen had everything to make a meal (although no dishsoap to wash dishes with for two days), and the location was great for exploring Meath and Louth Counties, but they were having serious staffing problems during the days we were there. When we arrived, we were greeted after about ten minutes by a very harried owner who passed us a key, pointed to our room door, and then left without any overview of the facilities or policies. We saw no one for the two and a half days we stayed. There was no one to answer questions. Other guests would ask us if we had seen anyone about as they too had issues and questions. One young, German couple who had made reservations and arrangements to arrive late with a baby found reception empty, took a key from behind the desk, and let themselves in to an empty room. All of us then spent 30 minutes the next morning looking for someone, anyone, to pay so we could leave. Hostel doorbell? Nope. House doorbell? Nope. House backdoor clanging bell? Nope. Walk around facility? No one. Farm office? No one. At one point, I just began to shout, "Hallo, is there anyone alive around here?" As we met back at reception, the same harried woman walks out the house's backdoor. What?
We had to laugh as we left the parking lot because after seeing no one for days we saw from our car
- the owner
- the women in charge of the hostel reservation bookings who came driving up
- two farm workers of a small tractor pulling into the lot after us
- and that poor German couple who had to stick around because they had let themselves into a room.
Hopefully, whatever crisis gripped the farm has now passed and things are back to normal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Slane Farm Hostel and Cottages are situated on a large working farm in the heart of the historic Boyne Valley. These old farm buildings have been lovingly transferred into luxury accommodation that would suit couples, families, groups or individuals. With Dublin city and Dublin Airport only 40 mins. away guests can enjoy the freedom of the countryside and stroll around the many walks on the farm and visit the dairy enterprise and family pets. Slane Castle is next door the many historic site of the Boyne Valley are close by. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, Odigeo and Booking.com so you can book your Slane Farm Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.