“Awful” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Slane B&B and Inns
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We booked 2 nights in this 'hotel' because decent hotels hotels in Ireland are generally not 'dog friendly'.
On arrival there wasnt a soul to be found, we hung around for a couple of hours having already had a long drive, eventually a man appeared who showed us to our room.
I specifically requested a room with access onto the garden (one of our little dogs has had spinal surgery), we were given the 'Bird' room, up 3 flights of stairs.
There was no hot water and no wifi., The owner suggested that we showered in a different room. We didnt, we packed up and left.
The place is dirty and impoverished and robbery at the price.

Stayed April 2015
Aisling L, Owner at Rossnaree, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Madam
2 night stay turned into a 1night of which no payment was paid
I am responding to your review you gave me on the 6th of April

Which I found quite unfair given the circumstances . I called you around midday to find out what time you would be arriving ,and arranged for someone to be here when you arrived .when you arrived my manager showed you your room and offered you a cup of Tea in the drawing room and offered to light the fire ,which was refused as you wanted to walk your dogs after the long journey.
Unfortunately I was to discover the next morning that you had no hot water ,due to a fuse that blew,I offered to fix the problem but would need to go into your bedroom while you were having breakfast .but you said that we would disturb your dogs so that we could not gain entry to fix the water .and I promised I de have the water fixed by the time you got back later and offered for you to use another bathroom
I was extremely apologetic about this and the intermittent broadband of which we have no control of
I was so upset about the water situation that I wanted to give you a discount .
I talked to you before you left the house in the morning and asked when you would be back during the day and said that there would be someone here all day and that the water would be fixed when you got back .It was to my shock I soon discovered all bags were out of the room and that you were not returningYou did not tell us that you would not be returning for your 2nd night stay before your departure and no payment was made for the 1 night you stayed and the cooked breakfast that was served to you
It is sad that you were so unhappy at Rossnaree .It was an usual circumstance that the fuse blew and therefore you had no hot water ,the water was fixed very soon after you left

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

We had an absolutely wonderful evening at Rossnaree.
The estate is filled with amazing art and family antiques. Our room (William Morris) was elegant and eclectic. The grounds are both picturesque and historical.

The owner, Aisling could not have been more friendly, interesting and attentive. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast in her beautiful formal dining room. We were honored to be a guest in her lovely home.

If you appreciate one-of-a-kind experiences, this is for you. If you feel more comfortable in cookie-cutter, chain accommodations where everything is plastic and perfect, plan to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

Wow! It was a true gift to be able to stay here. You are wrapped in the arms of time, beauty, history, art, style, heart and grace. We LOVED our stay with Aisling..she is helpful and generous and talented and energetic! The building itself is magical....and the views over the River Boyne to Newgrange are the most evocative in all of Ireland. I felt like I was in another time when wandering the grounds. Having a drink by the fireplace at night in the lovely sitting room, breakfasts by the fireside in the gorgeous green dining room, the décor, paintings, sculpture....this is not an antiseptic 4 star hotel .. this is a real place full of heart and memory and beauty. Thank you, Aisling, for our wonderful stay. We shall return! She also gave us excellent advice as to local dining and Newgrange information.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

Saw this place online and thought it looked incredible. After advance booking a room we travelled to slane from dublin and got a taxi out there (€10 fare and taxi needed for everything as no shops,bars,restaurants around). The room we booked was already taken and we were told it happens all the time for some unknown reason! Told another room could be ready in an hour or so, this room was terrible and freezing and cold, so ended up having to get another taxi back into town and finding alternative accomodation. Our amazing taxi driver found it all very funny and said we certainly weren't the first to run away.
Aisling - the owner - could not have been less helpful or taken any less of an interest, and even tried to still charge us for the room. Ended up still having to pay a deposit for the room, even though it was not available! Defeating the purpose of the deposit!
Also, turns out their daughter is a very talented published photographer, so of course the online
Images looked great. In reality, it was very unkept and disappointing, especially for the price range.

Room Tip: Don't do it!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Aisling L, Owner at Rossnaree, responded to this review, November 1, 2014
Dear Guest
I am so sorry that you felt so disappointed.Let me please explain ,I understand that you made this booking on same day as arrival .Unfortunately it being a Sunday ,I checked my bookings that morning and saw that there were no new ones ,so then went to pay condolences to my cleaning lady who had just lost her father .The maintenance manager was there when you arrived he called me and I came back ,
You had already left when i got back ,I spoke with you on the phone and offered you the Morris room which had now been made ready for you .
I had offered you no cancellation fee ,except the deposit of 15 euro ,but agreed to waiver that as well ,At this time of year we do not expect many guests therefore please except my sincerest apologies and I am very happy to offer you a generous discount if you would like to stay here again
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2014

My wife and I recently spent 2 nights in this beautiful house and couldn't be more pleased. Sitting in the drawing room by the fire sipping on wine...who could ask for more. Just 5 minutes from Newgrange, this house sits surrounded by beauty in all directions. The owner was very sweet, the breakfast was great and overall I would recommend this place to anyone. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I would think any room would be great.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

This September my wife and I made our fourth visit to Rossnaree . Each time we arrive, I feel like I am stepping into history. And not just some little corner of the past. Rossnaree’s connections start several thousand years ago with the Neolithic Newgrange passage tomb in clear view across the Boyne River valley. Eons later, legends recall an Irish king buried at Rossnaree, and in the seventeenth century, William of Orange won the Battle of the Boyne, in part by finding a way across the river here at Rossnaree. The stately Victorian house even dates back a couple hundred years.

Our charming hostess, Aisling Law, has wisely retained the historic feel of the property, not overly modernizing décor or fixtures. She has filled the house with antique furniture and paintings, each with a story of its own. Aisling is a part of the history herself, since her great grandmother was the love interest of William Butler Yeats, as well as a freedom activist. With renowned sculptors as parents and a noted writer for a grandfather, Aisling is also an accomplished artist who runs an art school at Rossnaree. Even with this storied background, Aisling is the loveliest and warmest person you would ever want to meet, catering to your every need.

We also enjoyed visiting with the various creatures that call Rossnaree home, including Rocky the resident collie, Bobby and Paddy the donkeys, and a flock of chatty geese. We were saddened to miss friendly Dagda, the Irish wolfhound and Celeste, the pet pig, both of whom had passed away since our last visit.

We stayed, once again, in the William Morris Room. Though anywhere else we would insist on a king-sized bed, here we rest comfortably in the cozy, exquisitely designed antique double bed. I could sit in the period recliner by the window all day, just peering out across the green meadows and Boyne River to Newgrange and Knowth beyond.

Breakfast in the dining room by the fireplace was delightful and for us a little sad. While the food was delicious, with eggs from Aisling’s chickens, we knew that we must soon depart. We had found Rossnaree years ago when looking for a peaceful retreat, not far from the airport, at which to recover from jet lag. This time we were heading back to the airport on the way home.

I highly recommend a visit to Rossnaree. But don’t expect all of the most lavish or latest of features common to modern luxury accomodations like the Ritz. If you do you may be disappointed. The grand sense of history and the creativity of the artistic spirit are preserved by not giving in the blandness of contemporary accoutrements. Still, Rossnaree is most comfortable and pleasing, as are Aisling and her pets.

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2014

Warm and caring stay in this wonderful picturesque location. Unique country house hotel with a small number of rooms and suites to suit artistic types. Beautiful dining room with a roaring log fire. Completely informal and we encouraged and enjoyed the delightful company and singing of the fourth generation in the house. A very different holiday experience with helpful, friendly hosts.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. Choose the one that suits you.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Rossnaree? Share your experiences!