“Overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Navan
galway
“Overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed here for one night last weekend and would highly recommend it. The hotel itself is maybe a little old fashioned in decor but nice and is a change from modern hotels which can all look similar. The staff on reception were friendly and when we mentioned we would be checking out before 8am the following morning she said she would inform the restaurant so we could get some breakfast (breakfast isn't served until 8) and sure enough we got a full breakfast. Our room 512 was very spacious, comfortable and we enjoyed a good nights sleep. The room had everything one would need, tea/coffee making facility, safe, iron and ironing board etc (have stayed in some 4 star hotels that hadn't some of these). We ate in the bar and the food was lovely with a good choice, large portions and reasonably priced. There was a very good band playing in the bar later that night. All in all would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return for a longer stay next time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Laura C, Guest Relations Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear AnneMarieGalway
I would like to thank you most sincerely for posting your review following your recent stay here in the Newgrange Hotel. Ia m delighted to hear that you enjoyed everything about the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to all the team here.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.
Laura Cox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We where back recently to stay here after our latest Golf Outing. The lads wanted to stay here after our fantastic stay in September. Once again we where looked after very well. Compliments to all the staff and management in the Newgrange. Food excellent once again. This place is that good with our golf group we've rebooked for August to stay and playing golf in Knightsbrook.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mark C
Thank you again for your wonderful comments following your visit to the Newgrange Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you continue to enjoy your experiences here and we look forward to welcoming you back again in August.
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

If I was writing this review on the weekend alone, it would be 5 stars as i do not take life too seriously but it was just too hard to overlook the issues with this Hotel!

We were down on a Hen weekend and for the 1st night of our stay, there was no water! When we asked for a pint of water on the way to bed so we could brush our teeth, we were told we had to buy a bottle of water! The bar did have water so after a bit of a moan, we got 2 pints to bring to our room. Luckily, we did manage to wash on day 2!

The elevator is like a ride in an amusement Park, you should be strapped in for health & safety reasons as its a bumpy ride but I am a bit of a thrill seeker so wasn't too put off! ;o) Some of the others opted to take the stairs!

As if this wasn't bad enough, the lift was in our actual room!! Only a very thin wall separated us from the continuous screeching & banging it made all through the night. Luckily there are plenty of pubs in Navan so sleeping came easy but light sleepers beware!

Decor is also quite dated but usual fare for a small country hotel!

Now for the positives - Dinner was included in our package & it was quick, very tasty & portions were massive! The residents bar stayed open well into the wee hours & we were not bothered by anyone on the morning of check out though we used the room until 1pm. All staff we encountered were very friendly also. I can see why this is a popular destination for Weddings!

Would I return.................Absolutely! Location is great and its perfect for a weekend in Navan! It would have been nice to have been offered some compensation for the lack of water for one of the nights but in fairness, we didn't complain at the time!

Great fun & friendly hotel but don't expect luxury! If the maintenance issues were addressed - would be 5 out of 5!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms which are home to the elevators - think 103 was ours but I could be wrong! Not for t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Laura C, Public Relations Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Cultchie
Thank you for your very complementary comments regarding our food, staff and service. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry about the problem with the water, but unfortunately this was completely out of our control.
Looking forward to having you stay with us again.
Please ring us in advance before your next visit.
Sybil
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Checked in this week for one night only. The staff seemed pretty warm and welcoming with the exception of the carvery staff....not a single hello but hey ho, we all have our off days. Were that the only compliant I wouldn't be wasting my time typing this up so here goes my little list of issues ...ranging from minor irritants to wrist-slittingly p***sing off issues:
Got to our room and only the lights would turn on....rang reception and to their credit, a very nice chap came round to sort out the sockets ( very quick turn around too)....minor irritant.
Tried to connect to wifi and couldn't so rang reception again only to be informed that wifi isn't available in that part of the hotel ( I feel I should point out at this time that they DO advertise wifi online) and I should use the broadband cables provided instead. After rummaging about I find said cables and do a little celebratory jig..but lo and behold, it wasn't to be, for either the cables or switch wasn't working....NO INTERNET????!! At this point I am annoyed but the rational me manages to convince the internet junkie in me that we will survive this it is after all, only one night and that a cup of tea will make it all better. Off I trot to make my cup of tea but I think I must have done something to REALLY p@#s karma off because the kettle doesn't work!!!! Arrrrrrgggghhhh! By then I was threatening to jump out of the window of our ground floor room and my boyfriend very helpfully offered to open the window for me...

On another note, please may you use small sachets/bottles of shower gel/hand wash rather than one big one...no guest wants to feel like they are using some one else's left overs. Could you also ensure that all electrical appliances are checked prior to any guests checking in.

Rant aside, the ladies at reception and the bar staff were really superb. They even allowed us to check out almost two hours later than we should have after an ill-advised night out at the lovely Rowleys Pub left us feeling rather sorry for ourselves in the morning. It is also a really clean so kudos to the cleaning staff too.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura C, Guest Relations Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear missteeheehee

Many thanks for taking the time to post your recent review. Guest feedback is very important to us as it helps us maintain our high standards. I'm sorry you had some issues on your stay. We do have WiFi in public areas and in some of the rooms so we do advertise that we have WiFi. In relation to the kettle, there may just have been a plug or socket not working which we could have rectified for you at the time. With regards to the shower gel, as it is in a hand pump bottle which is washed down after every guest, I would stress to all guests that they are not expected to use "leftovers". I have passed your kind comments about the cleanliness of the rooms onto our Accommodation department, they very much appreciate your acknowledgement of their hard work.
I hope you can return to us again in the future.
Navan, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I booked our Christmas party night for the 14th Dec in the Newgrange hotel for the 4 of us at reception with ease....Nichola & Caroline was very helpful answering my questions for the above night.....our experience was a great night out in the best hotel in Navan Meath. On arrival greeted by staff at Rowleys bar entrance with a glass of mulled wine....we waited in the lounge until called up to the main function room by staff member....well organised,,,as this event as numbers was around 350 people attending for the party night....no bottle necks at the door waiting to be looked after and wondering where to go for our seats...nice tip too to take our coats just before we entered made us feel very welcome. Five course meal was very tasty & hot served....staff member came around thoughout making sure all ok. when the meal was finished the band Vertigo played all the hits of the decades great set up sound & light show. Overall a very satisfied night out.

Room Tip: book in advance to avoid disappointment as this is a popular venue.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Laura C, Guest Relations Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Alan D
Thank you most sincerely for your wonderful comments following your recent Christmas Party. I am delighted to hear that you found the night very enjoyable and I will be sure to pass your kind comments to all the staff involved and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Newgrange again soon.
Arroyo de la Miel, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

From check in to check out you are always made very welcome by all the staff of the Hotel.

We were disappointed with the small choice of desserts this visit, it seemed we were looking at a menu from years ago, ie; Black Forest gateau, strawberry gateau, cheesecake, there was apple pie too but this wasn't served with a nice warm custard as you would expect on a cold winters day.
We mentioned this to our waitress and she totally agreed with us.

The Christmas decorations throughout the Hotel were wonderful, it looked liked the lights had been cleaned and polished as they sparkled, so well done to the housekeeping staff.

The bedrooms are now looking a little dated and could do with an uplift. We didn't have biscuits on our tea tray this time, so a bit disappointed with that cut back, always nice to have a treat with an afternoon cuppa. Also no bars of soap are provided now, just hand gel in a bottle. The prices haven't gone down but many noticeable cutbacks have been made, which we do understand. Although we had a no smoking room as soon as coming out of the lift there is a strong stale cigarette smell, which continues into the bedroom, the housekeeping team did, however, spray with a nice fragrance when we mentioned it.

The girls at breakfast work extremely hard, and the buffet table is one of the best for a three star hotel with croissants, pastries, fresh fruit, scones, juices, yoghurts.

We haven't complained in this review, but just have written our views as valuable comments.

Looking forward to returning early 2014.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear ccrystal
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. I am delighted to hear you found the staff and many thanks for your acknowledgement of their hard work. In relation to the issues with desserts and housekeeping, I have passed your comments onto the Head Chef and Accommodation Manager who appreciate the feedback and are reviewing the issues. I hope you can return to us in the future and notice the ongoing improvements we are making throughout the hotel.
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I got married in the newgrange hotel in November this year . The staff and my wedding planner kareen could not have been nicer. They made all my guests feel very welcome from early that morning to late that evening. I had nerves that afternoon and Kareen made me feel calm and my father before we entered the room. The food was gorgous and the service out standing the girls that were serving catered for everyones needs . And just a final thank you to the staff at reception they went above and beyond there duty to ensure all gifts etc were kept safe and this made me feel at ease. I will definitely be going back for my first anniversary no question. Keep up the good work and see you soon ,
lisa

Room Tip: family rooms are a good size .
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Laura C, Guest Relations Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear lisabyrne73
Thank you most sincerely for taking the time to post your recent review following your wedding here in the Newgrange. I am so delighted to hear your wonderful comments and thankful for acknowledging the friendly and welcoming staff. We are happy to have been a part of your special day. Karine passes on her thanks for acknowledging her work on the day. She is a valued asset to us here! Please be sure to come and visit us again soon.
Laura Cox

Been to Newgrange Hotel? Share your experiences!