“Couldn't Fault It.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Navan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Couldn't Fault It.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my friend stayed here for a few days last week. Everything was excellent. It was clean, the staff were lovely and the evening entertainment was brilliant. The location was perfect central to everything.Great shops in the town. Theres also a market close to the hotel. Would definitely return.
Geraldine and Theresa.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Laura C, Guest Relations Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Geraldine C
Thank you most sincerely for your wonderful comments following your recent stay here in the Newgrange. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you and your friend back again in the not too distant future.
Laura Cox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed here while attending a wedding in Slane (its 15-20 mins drive away so not nearby!)
Our room had a beautiful view of a brick wall and was so dark I couldnt see the mirror even with all the lights on.Non of the usual things you would expect to find in a hotel bathroom ie minatures.When we arrived back after the wedding we had to knock on the door of the hotel and be crossed off a list to be let in (there is a nightclub attached to the hotel)Breakfast the next day was rotten (and I love a hotel breakfast).my scrambled eggs tasted like ammonia.

On the plus side..the staff were lovely,very helpful and accommadating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura C, Guest Relations Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Dublin Trish
Thank you for posting your recent review. Firstly, thank you for availing of our special €49.00 offer for 2 people for Bed & Breakfast. I was disappointed to read your review indicating you did not enjoy your visit to the Newgrange Hotel. I am sorry that you were not happy with the room but as you can understand we are fully booked every Saturday night and as we are a town centre hotel not all of our rooms have views. We also do not have any miniatures as we are a 3 star hotel. I was also shocked to hear that you did not enjoy the breakfast as we get many comments complimenting our breakfast. I have passed your comments onto our chef.
I hope you can return to us again in the future.
Dundalk, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Happened to be in Navan and decided to pop in to this hotel for an easy going and relaxed bite to eat. It all went downhill from there. I and my friend were very disappointed with what we were given. The first thing that I noticed was a staff member sitting in the bar eating his dinner, very unprofessional in my opinion. We were given menus and our order was taken quite promptly. We were both starving and when it was served quite fast we were delighted. I opted for the breaded mushrooms with garlic dip which were tasty but my friend got the filled potato skins. They came out and looked as if the cheese had been melted on them earlier. The cheese was dry and not gooey; it appeared that they were just reheated. They did not seem fresh at all! Disappointed with the starter we waited in anticipation to see what our Mains would be like. I was having the curry and my friend had the pork. As the waitress served us she said the plates were extremely hot, I took the plate off her and they were not! They were obviously flashed under a grill as the top of the plate was hot and there was a skin on both the curry and on the sauce with the pork but underneath the plate was barely warm. I sampled both mains and felt they were very lack luster. The pork was extremely salty, the mushroom sauce was just like gravy and the "Celeriac" mash was just regular mash, it had no taste of celeriac at all. We ordered a side of regular mash and this again was not great. They were extremely dry and not hot and I felt they had been lying in a Bain Marie all day. The chicken curry was awful in my opinion. The sauce was hot but the chicken in it was not as hot as I would like. From the menu you can order a vegetarian curry so I presume they are adding the chicken to the sauce on order, so therefore it is not cooked in the curry and lacks the taste of chicken marinated and cooked in a curry. I got it served "half and half" with rice and chips. The chips were skinny frozen chips resembling that of McDonald's size, they were over cooked and tasteless (they were not even fresh, one hopes that wherever you go you get fresh hand cut chips) and the rice was so over cooked that when I "cut" it with my knife it literally came apart in two halves. It was stuck together, a clear sign of being overcooked. The curry sauce contained carrots, broccoli and mangetout, now that I didn’t mind exactly but they were so soggy that I felt they were vegetables left over from lunch and put in the curry so they were not wasted. While eating the main course the waitress who served us then ate a few tables away from us! Again an extreme lack of professionalism. As we ate our starter we were checked by the waitress but we were never checked again. When our Mains were cleared we were asked were they ok and we answered so unenthusiastically and by the amount left behind, by me in particular, it was clear they were not. We were not offered any dessert menus. At this stage all we could do was laugh and we didn't want to stay any longer as the whole atmosphere was extremely uninviting, it was dark and lack luster. The furnishings were old and tarnished and in need of a major update, which is not easy for hotels in this time but from where I sat I could see that the carpet did not reach the banister where it should have ended. All of the chairs were battered; they were clearly suffering from many nights in the bar. The Furniture in the beer garden was again poor; it was just the old furniture from the bar accompanied by some nice garden furniture. We paid the full amount but afterwards I was so disappointed with the food that I decided to complain. We were met by the manager Siobhan who did take our complaints on board but the resounding answer I was left with was “That is the way it’s done here”. After discussing it she agreed to refund what was not eaten which was just my curry. In her approach she was friendly but quite defensive and did not seem genuinely bothered by it. As we walked away she apologised and said something like I hope the next experience you have here is much better. There will be no next time. I really do hate to sound pretentious but I am in the Hotel industry and as a Four Star Hotel Banqueting Manager I was extremely let down by the standard of the Hotel and Food. I know that the Newgrange Hotel is Three star but it is seriously lacking the care given to its food and customer care. Overall my experience here was poor and as previously said would not go again. I just felt that we ate at a bad time and that everything we got was the remains of a lunch service at 6:30. I am extremely disappointed with the Newgrange Hotel. I have taken a lot of time to write this review as I know how vital customer feedback is and I hope to have some form of response.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Laura C, Guest Relations Manager at Newgrange Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Kivin10
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. As a 4 star hotelier, I am glad you appreciate the importance of customer feedback. Thankfully the majority of our patrons have very positive experiences. Please feel free to contact our General Manager on 046-9033200 to discuss this issue.
Navan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I'm a regular visitor to the newgrange restaurant, cafe and bar. The staff are very friendly and helpful which is one of the reasons I return. The food and atmosphere is very welcoming. I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Eleanor F
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review. Customer feedback is vital for us to maintain the high standards you continue to enjoy. We look forward to seeing you back again in the future.
Dublin 8
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This old hotel has lots of charm as well as being in a great location for sightseeing. The Boyne Valley, Trim Castle, Newgrange and Tara are all minutes away. The room was to a high standard and the staff were excellent. The restaurant food was the "old reliables" but done to a very high standard. The steak was yummy and the pasta dish would fill a horse. The bar area can be a little noisy but then thats why I go there. There is plenty of quiet lobby space for those who prefer it. 30 minutes from Dublin-I'll be back.

Room Tip: I was at the back so I heard very little noise and also had a view of the river.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Waggar
I would like to thank you most sincerely for your wonderful comments following your stay here in the Newgrange. Our high standards for our food is something on which we pride ourselves so we are grateful for your acknowledgement of this. I hope you can return to us again very soon.
newry, co down
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Just back for a weekend break in Newgrange Hotel - not one thing can be faulted with the hotel or its staff. Hotel staff were very friendly, food was excellent, everywhere clean and tidy and great range of entertainment to cater for all ages. With a group of 20+ people there is usually something that is at fault but no one could find a thing. Definately will be back again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear gail d
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent weekend break in the Newgrange Hotel. I am so happy to hear that the whole group enjoyed their stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.
Meath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed in the Newgrange Hotel for 1 nights b&b on bank hol sunday night. We had a few drinks in the lobby & enjoyed the music from the lounge. Our room was great - quiet & very clean. Had a great nights sleep even though we were overlooking the road! Breakfast was lovely - we will certainly book dinner the next time we stay. The staff throughout the hotel were top class. Will def be back

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MeathLilyRose
Thank you most sincerely for your wonderful comments following your recent stay in the Newgrange Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you really enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments to all the staff here and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Laura Cox

Been to Newgrange Hotel? Share your experiences!