“good food, pity about the waiter” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 19 restaurants in Carlingford
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: It's the restaurant belonging to the Hotel of the same name.
Dublin, Ireland
“good food, pity about the waiter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had dinner in Ghan restaurant last wekend. Fabulous wine list. good food. But the waiter was very dour, not Irish, and made no effort to make any connection at all with our party. We Irish have made a lot of our "island of a thousand welcomes" and such like, but employing a foreign waiter who appears to have not got any idea how us Irish people like to feel at home, will not help out tourist industry at all. We need to differentiate ourselves from other countries, so foreigners want to visit us, because our our uniqueness. You can find a dour waiter in lots of places. I do not want to spend a weekend in Carlingford and not experience friendly staff when I eat out.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Belfast, Ireland
“Not value for money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the the Annex (Room 9) on 12th July.As the parents of 3 young children we dont get to spend a night away from them too often so were looking forward to our stay. To say we were disappointed is an understatement. The room we were allocated was very dated and has not been refurbished in a long time and had a TV which was least 15 years old with a remote control that didnt work. Most disappointing of all was the room view which looked out over what seemed like a back yard of a house with a small garvel area and untidy piece of green area.
Despite being disappointed with the room we kept our counsel and looked forward to the meal.I shouls say the starters and desserts were both excellent but both mains were very poor. My wife ordered the steak and I the belly of pork. Both dishes were served to us cold and we sent them back to be redone. When they were re-presented to us it was obvious that they had been either reheated in an oven or a microwave, as they poached egg which was originally nice and soft and placed on the top of my pork was now rock hard and they steak was now well done when originally it was meant to be medium.In addition the service was very poor and the waiter quite dour although in fairnesss to him he was on his own and must have been waiting on at least 20/25 people in the dining room.
The next morning in the breakfast room my wife and I sat down for breakfast and lifted 2 menus to see what was on offer.The elderly lady who was waiting in the room approached us for what we assumed was to take our order but instead she took the 2 menus off us which were reading at the time and gave them to another couple and off she went for 10 minutes. This was extremely rude but to tell you the truth I don't even think she thought what she did was rude as again she was on her own and the service was very slow. Apart from that the breakfast was very nice.
When I was ckecking out the receptionist asked me if every thing was ok.I said that "to tell you the truth it wasn't great" and explained about the poor meal. She apologised but did not give any discount on the €208 bill for 1 night and said that she would speak to the owner. One week later we still have not heard a word from the owner. It must be a case that if they have already been paid it doesn't matter about potentail future revenue. Needless to say we would be very reluctant about ever going back which is a pity beacuse if is only 20 minutes from my wife's parents house in South Armagh and was an ideal location for a quick overnight break away from the kids.

Declan Steele

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dundalk, Ireland
“Lack of atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We recently had a family dinner in Ghan House, The restaurant was empty when we arrived, nobody was in front of house to welcome and guide guest arriving were to dine, The food was average, tho the portions were very small for the price, The service was terrible the waiter did make no effort with any off the guests, This restaurant has so much potential if the right person managed it, We will not be rushing back.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cork, Ireland
“rip off ireland”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Had dinner in Ghan house in Carlingford Lough, October 2011. Was really looking forward to it. It was over priced with a snobbish attitude. The food was OK but no better than the excellent pub grub to be had in Carlingford. A huge disappointment.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dundalk, Ireland
“Excellent service and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We recently hired one of the function rooms at Ghan house for a birthday celebration. The room was set up beautifully, and the meal was fantastic! We have heard nothing but positive comments from those invited!!

Orla & Sarah were in a great help in all the pre-planning!!!

We would highly recommend Ghan House to anyone for a similar function!!!

• Visited April 2012