“Gorgeous hotel, fab staff & service” 5 of 5 stars

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hotel Near M4 Motorway, Maynooth, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
Dublin, Ireland
“Gorgeous hotel, fab staff & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over Easter and just had a lovely time. The lobby, while large and open is so welcoming & cosy so the best thing to do to start off the weekend was have some drinks by the fire! Rooms are large, modern, spotlessly clean and really comfy and the bathroom was a good size with a great shower. The best thing about the hotel is the staff; they are all so friendly & welcoming but efficient & professional too, the perfect mix! Food was delicious in the Linden Tree restaurant and the wine list was great. Paul Harrington performed in the kitchen bar from 10pm which was fantastic, so entertaining but really relaxing. All in all a short but very sweet stay at Carton House!

• Stayed March 2013
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear CeireCH,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience with us and that you enjoyed the service and facilities on offer here in Carton House. It is always great to see such positive feedback on our team and that they helped make your stay a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spend a weekend in Carton House along with my wife and 8 month only and I can't rate this hotel highly enough. The setting is fabulous and the hotel is first class. The level of service was first class, be it from helping with bags to trying to put a smile on my 8 month olds face when she was tired or upset. I can't rate this hotel highly enough and I will certainly be back to stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear PaulMc1979,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that your family had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and I have passed your kind comments on to the team here in the hotel.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome.

Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

On a return trip to Carton House over St. Patricks weekend, we stayed in a standard room, which was very clean and well serviced. We had a lovely bathroom, with a bath and a separate shower, with plentiful provision for shower/hair products.

The room itself was adequate, if nothing special. For what we paid, we would have preferred a bigger/more spacious room, with a few more 'small touches', which for me, would justify the rate we paid, booked through the hotels' own website.

On a more positive note, all staff we met throughout were very professional, yet at the same time, very personable. Obviously, staff training is a very integral part of the hotel environment, and this is reflected in the level of professionalism showed by all staff. Their attitude is something that would entice me to return, as it helped to make it a very pleasant visit.

We used the facilities in the gym and spa. The gym has very adequate facilities and a lovely swimming pool, ( which we did not avail of). The spa area was very relaxing. We availed of some treatments, which we were extremely impressed with. My indian head massage/ back massage was amazing, thanks to the therapist I had! I would go back to this hotel, for that reason only!!

As regards food, we had lovely breakfasts both mornings. All options and requirements seemed to be catered for, literally! We didn't eat in the main restaurant ( have done so in the past). Personally, we believe the menu is slightly restrictive....as in, if you don't like mainstream food such as steak / lamb / fish etc, they seem to be limiting their market, by limiting their menu, especially, as there are a number of up and coming restaurants in the local town of Maynooth. We did however eat in the golf clubhouse, where we had a lovely, casual meal. The Kitchen Bar, in the main hotel also serves food. We didn't eat there, but the food did look lovely.

On a side note, I think the bar/ drink prices are expensive. Having stayed here before, in the height of the 'boom' in Ireland, I remember thinking the price of the drinks were too high at that stage and I definitely believe the drink prices are too high now!! In fairness, it is a high end hotel, but the price of the drinks are unjustifiably high.

To surmise, we had a very pleasant stay. Overall, we enjoyed the food, the spa and the whole experience and the lovely atmosphere created by the staff. Some room for improvement, I think, would be to ensure that the bar prices should reflect the current market of customers they are now dealing with. Also, just to note, there is very limited coverage on your mobile phone, if you are with a certain mobile network, which we found to our detriment! Anyway, having said that, we would return here, if some regard was paid to the few aspects that need improvement on. Overall, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear beaudub,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and I have passed your kind comments on to the team here in the hotel who will be delighted that they helped make your stay such a pleasant one.

In relation to our bar prices, we do carry out comparisons with our competitors a couple of times a year and our prices are in line with those of our competitors and we do offer excellent value in certain beverages particularly in our Coach House Bar & Restaurant.
I have shared your feedback on our Restaurant menu with our Executive Head Chef who will take the feedback on board.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Carton in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

First impressions last and my arrival with my family after a superb stay at the Merrion Hotel in Dublin was deeply disappointing. We were given no assistance with bags, and told there were no trolleys available. I can only describe the experience of lugging heavy bags along the very long corridor from reception as being akin to trying to reach a far off part of an unwelcoming airport terminal,not a good impression.Another man I met en route passed on his sympathies and complained about the same issue. The room interconnecting room was fine though the fact that there were no robes or slips in the rooms (other than the suites) seemed strange given that the hotel plays strongly on the fact it has a spa. The food was a major letdown at the coach house in the golf club. A very small selection should mean that you get all the dishes spot on but the food was extremely poor. The chowder was not chowder but rather a watery mess that tasted faintly of vegetables and hardly at all of fish, it was also liberally sprinkled with spring onions. They must be plentiful because they were also sprinkled all over our Thai curries. Our main courses arrived before our daughters fish goujons. When her dish did arrive her fish was rock hard and burnt. A replacement arrived and it had obviously been done not in the oven but a fryer because it was soggy and dripping in oil. Nobody should accept this abysmal standard of food in a fast food outlet never mind an establishment pitching itself at the level Carton House does. To cap off a poor impression a member of staff from the concierge team saw me and my family heading towards the doors to the bedrooms laden down but rather than hold the door he simply looked back at us and then walked on, this would represent basic good service and once again isn't good enough. The pool while a decent size seemed to have some kind of grit or sand in parts while the male changing rooms could do with more regular cleaning. On the plus side the setting is wonderful, with nice walks and some of the staff are good. In particular a dark haired girl with glasses in the breakfast room was great with our children and very helpful. Overall our experience was disappointing, we have been fortunate to go to many good hotels around the world and Carton House does not compare favourably. Key areas of service, customer satisfaction and the standard of food need urgent attention.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear sue2334 & S M,

Thank you both for taking the time to post your reviews of your recent stay in Carton House on Tripadvisor.

It is disappointing to see that your experience was not a positive one. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcoming in service which you experienced on this occasion.
It is most unusual for us to get such negative feedback and I would welcome the opportunity of discussing it in person with you to ensure that I can follow up on my end and give our team the opportunity to improve in any areas of weakness that you may have encountered during your stay with us.

Our dedicated team are our greatest asset and really do work hard to ensure that we consistently provide a warm welcome and professional service and we are genuinely disappointed that you did not enjoy these standards during your stay with us.

We do have a number of luggage trolleys available in the hotel and during peaks in business levels when all Guest Relations Representatives are dealing with other guests our Front Office Team have the facility of storing luggage for our Guest Relations Team to drop it to our guest rooms at a later stage.

We provide bathrobes and slippers in our suites as standard and they are available on request to all of our guests 24 hours a day. I am sorry that you were unhappy with the food in our Coach House Restaurant and I have discussed your feedback with our team of Chefs. We will take your feedback on board in relation to the garnish of Spring Onions and we have addressed the issues which resulted in your daughter’s dish being served late to your table as well as the quality of the food. This is not acceptable or in keeping with our usual standards of service and food quality that we deliver in Carton House.

The changing facilities in our Spa & Leisure area are cleaned hourly each day. The water quality in our pool is constantly monitored and is tested three times a day. We carry out a regular backwash program in the pool every week thus ensuring that the water in the main pool, kid’s pool and Jacuzzi is always of excellent quality.

I am glad that you enjoyed the setting which Carton Estate provides and that you found Blaithin in the restaurant provided great service during your visit to the Linden Tree.

As mentioned earlier I would be delighted to hear from you if you wish to discuss your experience with me in more detail. You can contact me by calling the hotel on 01-5052000 alternatively you can email me on bbowler@cartonhouse.com. We do strive to ensure that all of our guests have a great hotel experience when staying with us in Carton House and our feedback reflects this so it is important that we address the issues which you encountered during your stay by reviewing our processes and procedures which will ensure that such issues do not arise in the future. In this regards your feedback is invaluable to us and I really appreciate you taking the time to share it with us.

I look forward to hearing from you and having the opportunity of reassuring you of our commitment to our guest care and attention at all times.

belfast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

It started bad. When we arrived, it was like a bun fight to check-in. No help was given with our bags- "our trolley is being used and we do not have another"! We later discovered that there was another entrance nearer the rooms from the car park. The corridor from the reception to the newer wing is as long as a walk to a gate at Heathrow. Another guest helped us with our bags and two small children. Interconnecting rooms were fine. Never like being given the accessible room though. Nothing special. No robes or slippers which is wrong for a spa hotel. Pease put some form of soft close on the room doors- they slam. Pool was ok. Lots of rust and corridor/ walls to pool dishevelled in places. Why is there sand in the bottom of the kids pool?? By far the worst part of this hotel was the food- with the kids we ate in the coach house. (Golf club) Small menu would lead you to believe the aim was quality not quantity. Unfortunately, I could have made better. And everything was heavily laced/sprinkled with spring onion. Worst €60 I ever spent. Some staff were lovely and really helpful others were ignorant and one of the concierge team let a door go in my face. Poor.

Room Tip: Stay at home!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear sue2334 & S M,

Moira, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our first stay at the Carton House. Check-in was smooth as silk, we made our way to our room which was very bright & spacious. The bathroom was lovely and with a deep bath and great shower with large head. It was my birthday and I had booked 2 treatments for my stay. The first was a chakra massage - which was in the evening and extremely relaxing. Dinner was low key in the club as we didn't want to dress up, it was fabulous & affordable with large portions.
The bed was very comfortable and super king size, we enjoyed a very pleasant sleep.
Breakfast was the best hotel breakfast to date. The spread was wide and amazing, everything was fresh, and eggs were cooked to order. Buffet temperature was great. Very attentive staff and they cleared our bowls/plates very fast after they were empty. Overlooking very well maintained gardens, with a little squeal!
My 2nd treatment was a facial, and I highly recommend this. The spa staff were friendly, helpful and very well trained. I will return.

Over all the hotel was of a very high standard with excellent staff, great food, great rooms, and fantastic spa. We shall return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BeenDee,

I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and in particular enjoyed the food and service in our Linden Tree Restaurant and our Spa treatments. I have passed your comments on to the team here in the hotel and Spa who will be delighted that they helped ensure that you had a great experience during your time in Carton House.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House again in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Spent 5 days in this excellent hotel. Staff, especially restaurant and bar, were very friendly and super efficient. Beautiful walks around the golf course. The hotel is set in a wonderful location and we will return one day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear egonricky,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience with us and that you enjoyed the grounds and facilities on offer here in Carton House. I have also passed your kind comments about our staff on to the team here who will be delighted with the recognition.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Deputy General Manager

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!