“Fantastic as usual.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Maynooth
Wicklow, Ireland
“Fantastic as usual.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We are just home from Carton after our fourth stay there. Every time it has not let us down at all. We booked a package for two nights b&b and 1 dinner. When we arrived we received a complimentary upgrade as "valued customers". We were given the "summer suite" in the old house. This was a beautiful room in the corner of the building with double aspect windows. Fantastic facilities and service given with this room. This is the second time we have spent New Year's Eve there and as was the last time it was a very nice evening. We have also stayed for a wedding there and we went with all my family for a night away to celebrate our parents anniversary last year.

We ate on the first evening in the kitchen bar and it was very tasty. We also had lunch in the bar on New Year's Eve. I have read previous reviews where they say that service can be slow in bar, I agree with this but I can also say it did not bother us at all as we were there to relax and chill. We were not getting uptight if a waiter did not hop on top of us immediately! Service is excellent either way. All staff we dealt with during our stay were always pleasant and mannerly.

We ate in the Linden Tree restaraunt on New Year's Eve. As always the food was excellent. I also have a special mention for the waitress we had serving us. Her name was Sarah and she was excellent at her job, she made us very comfortable and we had a lovely dining experience.

We used the spa a couple of times. As usual it was clean and nice.

We are in love with carton and have very little if nearly nothing negative we can say about this amazing hotel.

Thank you all.

Room Tip: If staying in new part get high floor and furthest away from lift if you want quiet room, jus can be...

1,126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed in the old part of the house for a one nights couples retreat including dinner, breakfast and a spa treatment. On arrival we checked in promptly at reception where we were brought to our room as it was difficult to find by ourselves! Already loved this introduction as I knew it would be something special! We were brought to one of the suites called the Lennox which behind a door off the corridor on the 2nd floor. There was a windy staircase leading down beside the room which gave a great feel of being in an old house. The room was very spacious with a four poster bed with 3 kinds of pillows so you could choose how soft you like it! Long windows gave the room great light and a fireplace set the theme in the room beautifully. Never found it one bit cold and there was a plug in radiator in case, which we never used (this was December). The bathroom was set up beautifully with contemporary sink and bath and state of the art shower. Dinner in the Linden Tree restaurant was gorgeous and there was plenty of space between the tables so your not listening in on everyone's conversations. The staff were faultless and very helpful and friendly. We booked massages the next morning and the staff again were very pleasant and made us feel very relaxed and comfortable. I would stay for more than one night the next time to get the full effect of the hotel as there was so much to see and I could spend all day looking round the stunning rooms of the old house and sit by the fire looking out on the courtyard. Absolutely wonderful night away and I would recommend it to anyone who loves to step back in time but also have the luxury and comfort of the present

Room Tip: Only 18 rooms in the old house which are so special they cant be missed
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were on our way to the ferry to Holyhead and thought we'd stop off, see the National Stud which is just down the road and well worth a visit, and then overnight at Carton House so we didnt have a long drive or early start for the ferry terminal. We were happy we did too.

I booked a house suite as it really wasnt a lot of extra money and I thought we're worth it. I was expecting a larger room with a sofa maybe but what we got was superb. We got a large bedroom, a large separate lounge with large screen TV, a full hifi set and fully furnished. You could well have held a party in there.

The bathroom was also lovely with separate walk in shower, large roll top double-ended bath and mood lighting. Good selection of toiletries.

We had pre-booked a table in the restaurant as part of the deal but in all honesty I would go back another time for longer and get room service in.

I wasnt overly impressed with the restaurant to be totally honest. The service was slow and although my wife's fish was fresh and well cooked/presented, my beef had obviously sat under the heat lamp on the pass awaiting service too long and was somewhat dried up. I was prepared to not make a big fuss as it was really just a rest stop and overnight refueling for us on this occasion but had I gone there for a special occasion, and it is the type of place you'd go to celebrate one, then I'd expect better.

I have to say I wasnt overly impressed with the breakfast buffet either. It was okay in that everything was there but I felt the quality of the igredients used had been subject to cut-backs and economy. There was a little card on the table which said it was all Irish sourced ingredients but be that as it may the sausages seemed very "Tesco value" line in they were very "bready" and I didnt think much of the bacon either. It was fuel and it was edible but it wasnt particularly enjoyable I'd say and my wife who went for the fruit and baked option wasnt smitten by the quality and range available either.

Overall for what we paid and given the short time there we were happy to say the accommodation was very nice indeed, but I wouldnt want to eat there often nor make a special trip for the restaurant.

We did have a walk around though and I think the fishing, golf, tennis, health club facilities all looked great. The place is host to The Irish Open in 2013 and I think it will do the tournament proud.

I'd go back for the accommodation and to play golf there but I wouldnt be expecting too much from the culinary side. Room service and I might even try eating in the golf clubhouse next time.

By the way, we did struggle to actually find the place even with Sat Nav. Perhaps even because of the Satnav. A few more signs might help others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed at Carton house for two nights with my wife and two kids. We found the hotel to be extremely relaxed in its approach but with knowledgeable and friendly staff. The hotel itself is a great blend of irish country estate and chic modern minimalism.
The pool and spa were great and we spent a lot of time there with the kids. We are planning to go back and will explore the huge estate on foot next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gort, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Check in , pleasant and efficient but from their on went down hill. Rooms freezing cold on entering , no heating on despite being told full house that night so everyone must have entered a cold room. Went to walk to spa and back to room , room key code had stopped working .So no mobile coverage on corridor , has to explain to 3 guests we were locked out and not attempting to break in .Then hotel staf arrived and their master card did not work either but he had to fix a guests mini bar and would be back in a minute -took 14 minutes but we sat on the floor on a warm corridor .Club house has no sign for it once you leave reception , but we eventaully found it. Food was very basic and really would want to raise the quality for 2013 Open.
No need to use gym as hotel is spread out and our room was towards the end(total opposite from Clubhouse ).
Room servce for a dessert was 9.50 for a Brownie and for the first time ever there was a standard 5 Euro Tray charge ,independant to the service charge (which one would always give .)

Wont be rushing back and could not see what people talk about but have to say Breakfast was excellent as self service but no staff member offered an alternative unless you asked for same ,

Room Tip: For family rooms to gether and near spa. For older room nearer to restauraunt .
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had a truly blissful few days at Carton House. I really can't fault it....lovely old house, modern new rooms, spa is good, relaxed easy atmosphere. I appreciated the complimentary petit fours provided for our wedding anniversary...a nice touch! Would love to go back with family.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We booked well in advance due to the size of the group and time of year. The staff in the events office were exceptionally helpfull. Then from the moment we arrived our two night stay with 22 people was perfect. The accommodated multiple family gatherings in different venues throughout the hotel & grounds including a photo shoot! We all eat in the clubhouse, kitchen bar & in the linden tree and despite 6 of our party having different dietary requirements we all eat like kings! The service in each of these eateries was exceptional with a special mention for the club house wait staff who had to cope our first night with nine very excited kids & thirteen very excited adults.
The hotel in general dud Christmas very well, there were beautifully decotrated trees in all of the common areas & taster Christmas cake offered will all hot drinks!
Checking out could have been complicated but I had advised the event team in advance how to split all the charges & when the time came it was the simplest checkout I've ever experienced

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!