“Gemma the hotel hairdresser” 4 of 5 stars

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hotel Near M4 Motorway, Maynooth, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Gemma the hotel hairdresser”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

I called the hotel to see if they had a hairdresser and they got a person called Gemma to call me. Well she was rude and was only going to take booking on her terms. I asked for a curly blow dry - which I get all the time. Gemma frizzed my hair and then got tongs through it. She called this a curly blow dry. When I told her I was unhappy and it was not a curly blow dry she insulted me and got very personal in her remarks to me. I paid her €50 to get rid of this terribly insulting person who was representing the hotel as a hairdresser. If you are staying there I would recommend to go into the surrounding towns to a proper hairdresser than use the hotels person called Gemma.

• Stayed September 2012
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Ellesmer,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience during your stay with us.

I am sorry that the hairdresser let you down and I can assure you that we have brought this to her attention and informed her that Carton House will no longer be availing of her services.
Gemma is not an employee of the hotel but is a local hairdresser who has a successful business in the area and came highly recommended to us so it is disappointing that our hotel standards were compromised by her approach on this occasion.

I would welcome the opportunity of discussing the incident with you in more detail, you can contact me by calling the hotel on 01-5052000 alternatively you can email me on bbowler@cartonhouse.com.

I do hope that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay with us and that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House in the near future. If I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
HEREFORD, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

A sponsored charity golf day. Two nights, lovely food, great company, excellent golf course, even a facial ! Quite relaxing and the Guinness was good too. One tip, don't taxi from airport, hire car, Nu h cheaper !

• Stayed September 2012
Dear monocularman,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience during your stay with us and that you enjoyed the service and facilities on offer here in Carton House.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kildare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

A nice birthday present from my other half! A beautiful room with a balcony,proper air conditioning system, lovely mood lighting. Rooms in the new part of the house a good step away from reception along a beautiful glass corridor. All staff from the cleaning staff to management all very pleasant & always a smile when you pass them. Visited spa & leisure facilities- so relaxing & 10/10 for cleanliness. Staff at the spa very professional in their approach! Breakfast outstanding! Looking forward to my Christmas present hopefully its another night in Carton House. :)

Room Tip: Rooms which are located over the conference facilities can be quite noisy if windows left open but h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear angestar,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and I have passed your comments on to the team here in the hotel. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Carton House again in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed here with two friends in a lovely triple room. It was very spacious. I've been here a lot on business and had personal events here in the golf club, so had been looking forward to a girlie stay and using the spa.

The spa didn't disappoint - the facial ranks up there with the best I've ever had. Our enjoyment of the relaxation area was seriously hampered by the family day and about 5 bouncy castles happening immediately behind the spa. For some reason, they thought it acceptable to have people walking past the relaxation area with virtually no screen. We had been escaping kids, so it wasn't a great thing for us to be then staring at them running around and this could have been simply avoided by turning the bouncy castles around to minimise the impact on spa guests. Spa staff explained they hadn't been notified about the family event at all - poor form from the hotel.

I knew from past business meetings that the food in the main hotel could be hit and miss, but was expecting great things from the dinner menu. We were sorely disappointed - the chef could do with experimenting less and concentrating more on producing decent food. This was barely passable.

Then... To round off our stay, my friend discovered on her return home that she'd been badly bitten by bed bugs all up one leg. There was no way this was from anything other than the beds - the spa couldn't have been at fault and she was wearing jeans the next day. But when she rang the hotel the next day, they completely denied any blame, saying that they'd checked the sheets (how when we'd checked out the day before). No gesture of goodwill or even an apology. She has since heard from another friend who had a similar experience and actually had to change room in the middle of the night.

Basically - lovely spa, great golf club but avoid staying in the hotel if you can avoid it. If you must eat, go to Lyons estate in Newcastle instead.

Room Tip: Check the beds!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear sineadj,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Carton House on Tripadvisor.

It is disappointing to see that your stay was not a positive one on this occasion. On the day that you stayed we hosted a family day for a large company that involved setting up entertainment and some kids activities in an outdoor area close to the Spa. In anticipation of the event we contacted every person who had booked treatments in the Spa on the day to advise them that an event was taking place that may be noisy and could detract for the overall relaxing experience we usually provide to our guests in our Spa. This was a once off event and not something that we normally would have so close to our Spa area. I do apologise that it took from the overall enjoyment of your spa experience.

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with your meal experience. I have checked back through our service report for that night and do not see that we had any complaints on the evening in relation to the food quality in the restaurant. It is most unusual for us to get such negative feedback and I would welcome the opportunity of discussing it in person with you to see what areas or dishes in particular you felt let us down. This will allow me to follow up on my end and give our team the opportunity to improve in any areas of weakness that you may have encountered during your evening meal. We normally receive very positive feedback on both the standard of food and service in our restaurant so I am sorry that your experience did not reflect this.

In relation to the bed bugs I can confirm as was discussed with your friend that there was and is no problem with bed bugs in any of our rooms and thankfully we have never had any issues of this nature. If we ever receive a report such as this we have to take it very seriously as it is something that we would need to act on immediately. When you stayed with us you checked out of the hotel on a Sunday, the room you stayed in was not cleaned on the Sunday as it was a quieter day in the hotel which allowed us to leave a number of rooms un-serviced until Monday. This meant that when we received the call from your friend we had the opportunity to check the sheets which showed us visually that there was no issue however in saying this it is the bed more so than the sheets that needs to be carefully examined. In order to completely rule out the possibility of a bed bug problem we contact our nominated Pest Control company who came in that day and went through the room in great detail. I oversaw the inspection myself and was clearly shown and reassured by the pest control technician that we did not have any problem and that there was no sign of any bugs of any description.

Thank you once again for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your stay as you should have. At Carton House we are continually striving to ensure that we provide the very best levels of guest care and service. We are always open to feedback and actively encourage all of our guests to tell us of how their stay was which helps us to identify any areas for improvement.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House in the future and would ask that you contact me directly so that I can look after your booking details and can personally reassure you of our commitment to the highest standards in all areas of the hotel.

dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Myself and my husband spent two fantastic days in this house in August and wow it was fab ...The hotel staff are incredible friendly and helpful from the bar staff to the staff in the restaurant always willing we help .The hotel is about twenty minutes outside of Dublin and the drive up to the hotel is amazing .
The bedrooms are very contempory in style and really comfortable with a large bathroom which had lovely toiltries ,we had a balcony in our room and were able to sit out and have a nice glass of wine before diner , the food in the restaurant was amazing very fresh and tasty couldn't fault anything about this hotel .
The grounds around the hotel are wonderful and we had a nice leisurely walk around on the two days .Totally relaxing.
The breakfast was delish and had a great variety of fresh hot food . The bar food was also great and served quickly
Will definitely be returning to this hotel at the first opportunity I get . Well done guys

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear tsam,

On behalf of the management and staff of Carton House Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

We have a great team here in Carton House who are always eager to ensure that our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay with us. I have shared your kind comments with the team who will be delighted to see that they helped make your stay such a pleasant one.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon where hopefully you will get the opportunity to explore more of the 1,140 acres estate.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

It's not exactly close to Dublin airport and the taxi fare isn't cheap, however what you get when you arrive more than compensates for that. There are many converted stately homes around, but this one is exceptional in my view- the old house is retained and decorated in all its splendour, whilst the modern extension is a tasteful complement, rather than an incongruous addition. The staff were warm, welcoming and friendly, the service efficient and polite and the facilities flawless.

My room was in the old house, Summer 409, which was huge, with an equally huge bathroom, both furnished beautifully, and the bed was without question the most comfortable I have ever slept in away from home- almost a cocoon....

The leisure facilities were good, but beware there are childrens' swimming lessons in the pool that did not appear to be advertised, so pick your time carefully. The golf course looked to be superb- although sadly I didn't have time to indulge, it seemed to be very popular.

The conference facilities wer perfect for our purposes, although one small criticism is that they could have organised the lunch service more smoothly to reduce the queues.

Food was good, although for my tastes it would have been vastly improved by including more fresh vegetables, fruit and salad options.

I would not hesitate to go back again and I have put Carton House at the top of my list of UK & Ireland venues for conference planning.

Room Tip: I stayed in 409 Summer, the view from which is shown in the photos
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Adriano H,

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience with us and that we are now at the top of your list of conference venues. In relation to the variety of food available at lunch time for the buffet, we do have numerous menu options available many of which include selections of salads and vegetables so please feel free to enquire about the various options when arranging your next conference with us. We can tailor any menu to suit the requirements of our guests and in order to speed up service we can have more than one buffet running at the same time in our Restaurant.

I have passed your kind comments on to the team who will be delighted that they helped to make you stay an enjoyable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon and if ever I can be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Leixlip, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed overnight at Carton House as part of a business meeting. The Hotel is spotless with amazing staff. The rooms were large, clean and very comfortable.
We stayed for one night only, eating in the hotel restaurant and spending time in the residence bar into the wee hours of the following day. At all times the staff greeted you with a smile and a friendly hello.

As well as the hotel itself the grounds are kept to a very high standard and even though I was
not playing golf, it was a pleasure to walk the grounds.
In relation to the room itself, it was a good size with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was also large with a great shower. Free WiFi was available in the room and while not superfast it was fine for email checking.

Great Hotel, Location and Staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear quirdavi,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post a review of Carton House on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and I have passed your comments on to the team here in the hotel. I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House again in the near future.

Deputy General Manager

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!