“Nice hotel - great restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Carlton Shearwater Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marina Point, Ballinasloe, Ireland   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice hotel - great restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2007

The hotel only opened a few weeks ago, and it's obvious that there are still some 'teething problems'. When I arrived to my room I opened the place where the mini-bar ought to have been to find it emply. Add to that the fact that there was no litreature in the room about guest services etc.
However, the room as finely-appointed, a wonderfully comfortable bed and nice furnishings.
The LCD television set integrated with internet was a pleasure to use and the cable broadband connection in the room as effortless. The room was spacious and well-decorated as was the bathroom. As i mentioned, a guest directory would be helpful, but I am sure that will come.
The hotel itself is beautifully finished to the highest standards and very modern in comparison to the rest of the town of Ballinasloe (there's not much to see in the town!).
I had dinner in the restaurant which proved to be a real treat. One has grown to expect 'adequate' cuisine in small-town Ireland, but the restaurant here was outstanding. The choice was amazing and the staff were ultra-helpful. There was a very fine selection of quality wines reasonably priced and the restaurant seemed to cater for children very well. Next to my table were a family of four and the waiter shoed great patience after the kids rejected a couple of dishes that they had ordered. It finished off with plain pasta and french fries, but the kids were delighted and the aiter showed great tolerance.
If I had a complaint about the restaurant it was that the white wine could've been chilled better.
The reception staff were terribly helpful and willing to do anything possible to make our stay more-pleasant. I was particularly impressed with the receptionist where I asked where it was possible to attend Mass on Sunday morning. Without thinking, she gave me directions to the local Catholic Church and exact times for the Masses.
This is a wonderful hotel with some teething prblems, that will undoubtedly improve. Very good value too.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — All facilities not yet available.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

We stayed at the hotel a week after it opened, so we didn't really know what to expect and were slightly anxious as we also had our wedding reception there.

As soon as we arrived in reception, we were gobsmacked by how beautiful everything was. It just looks really amazing, very posh, yet very friendly. Reception staff were very helpful and efficient.
Our room was very nice, beds are very comfy, bed linens are 100% cotton (which is important to me) and there is even a bed runner on the bed! (you could tell that no expenses were spared), bathroom was a very good size with a very good shower (and bath) all little toiletries provided, even body lotion. The design of the room is very trendy, modern, but yet again, homey and friendly.

The day after we had our wedding reception at the hotel, and didn't really know what to expect, we were treated like VIPs. we couldn't have asked for more. All the staff couldn't do more for our guests, accomodating everyone. The food was also amazing, as it is a 4 stars, we were expecting fancy little portions of food, but to our surprise the portions were very generous, and the food was gorgeous, (we had pork, mash, veg, cabbage as a main), it just melts in your mouth! I was later informed that there are about 3 French Chefs, so that is self explanatory with regards to the standards and quality of food!

Oh and breakfast is also very good, they have everything you could ask for: fruit salad, Irish breakfast, cereals, croissants, fresh bread, different kinds of juices.

We spent the night in the Bridal Suite, which was amazing, we had a box of chocolates on the bed, a bottle of champagne in the living room with a basket of fresh fruits. the bed was the biggest I've ever seen in my life and we also had a Jacuzzi in the bathroom. It was the perfect suite for newlyweds!

So I'd like to say that, even if I had my wedding reception in the hotel and that the Carlton Shearwater made me feel like a princess, and that I was blown away by everything because it simply was amazing, and I would recommend this hotel to everyone, couple, families... You just feel home when you get there and the staff is just so nice, they couldn't do enough for everyone. Mairead did an excellent job, she's very efficient and has a very good sense of humour!

I can't wait to go back there as soon as possible!

• Liked — so posh, yet you feel just like at home
  • Disliked — nothing, it was just fantastic
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Carlton Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Carlton Shearwater Hotel

Address: Marina Point, Ballinasloe, Ireland
Location: Ireland > Western Ireland > Province of Connacht > County Galway > Ballinasloe
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Hotel Class:4 star — Carlton Shearwater Hotel 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Carlton Shearwater Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Carlton Shearwater Ballinasloe
Hotel Carlton Shearwater

If you own or manage Carlton Shearwater Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.