“Defiantly 4 star” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Southeast
“Defiantly 4 star”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

Easy parking, nice welcome and staff, beautiful reception area. Got a great internet room only rate and because I had a child with me they upgraded free of charge to a family suite. Room was modern and perfect. Leisure centre was very nice, water warm and clean. Bar food expensive but found chowder well priced and delicious. Only one thing went wrong....asked for a newspaper and they forgot to deliver it but got it free of charge at the recepion in the morning. Would defiantly go back and the surrounding area there is some very nice things to see and do.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

We had a very comfortable stay in the suite we booked for 2 adults and 3 kids. It was like a 2 bedroom apartment and much better than being squashed into a "family room" somewhere else. The large swimming pool was never busy and the attendant gave us floats for the kids. Our usually shy under 10's actually spent some time in the Kid's Club 5pm-8pm thanks to the lovely Rachel organising it, the lack of structured activities and the good equipment. Mind you, this might be different when the hotel is busier. The Morenga restaurant was good (with far more people eating in the adjoining bar though) although we were a little disappointed to have an identical menu both nights with only 4 choices per course. All the staff were very helpful and friendly in the hotel. You don't really visit Ballinasloe for its own sake, but it's a convenient base for Galway and so accessible right on the N6. Handy to have a LIDL across the road too!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Galway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

Its a pretty hotel and free underground carpark.When you come in to lobby its lovely.Nice receptionist.The room had a double and single bed which makes it seem a bit cramped.Would have preferred just double on its own.The walls are paper thin.You can hear tv ,talking and light switches.I had to ring down at 6 am about the next rooms tv which was blaring.It was turned down or off straight away which was good but I was awake then!!Annoying fan that stays on for a long time in the bathroom.Nice flat screen tv.The restaurant service is real slow but this does aid digestion.Staff seem to need more direction.Food is nice best bread I have eaten and nice big portion of dessert. Nice crowd in the bar with live music.Breakfast is good but what tastes like watered down orange juice and very salty bacon.The pastry and croissants and coffee are good.
The spa is divine would certainly use it again but not sure I would stay in the hotel again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

I went away for a weeend to ballinasloe in feb, When i walked out of the lift on the way to check in it really was a "WOW" for me, i really didnt expect anything like this in Ballinasloe!!! The food was gorgeous, we eat in the bar on the first night and the restaurant on the second night - i would recommend it if you were just pass n to drop in 2 have a look or a quick bite to eat.
I am very hard to please when i go away but i was pleasently surprised with everything from the staff all over the hotel - very friendly and efficient, the leisure centre was fantastic.
I WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

The hotel was great the staff were brilliant especially Karen on the reception Desk she could not do enough for us, the rooms were spotless and it was great value for money. The service in the resturant was fast and efficent and breakfast and Dinner was lovely,
the leisure centre was fab Massive pool and a lovely spa. All in All the hotel is great and I will be back

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

We held our first conference as a new Charity organisation here last weekend. I have to also mention I am a Trainer of Hospitality staff in Customer Care all around Ireland for the last 10 years, as a result I am more critical when I stay in any hotel, nver mind be part of organising a conference there.

This hotel, its staff, the quality of the food, the service of the food, the bedrooms, the lesiure centre is first class, I have never experienced a htel where they performed in every area, even when we met any Accommodation staff they would greet you and offer help if you needed.
A lot of other hotels in these very difficult times in Ireland could learn from this property.,

Our Conference will be a annual event, we had thought we would use other properties in Ireland , but I think the organisers and the attendees would find another property hard to live up to this ..... Shearwater you will be a hard act to follow, well done to each and everymember of your team for an outstanding experience over iur two days and all the contact I had with your sales and event team before hand.

Sharon

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

The rooms in this Hotel were very cool and the beds were very comfortable. Unfortunately that is where my compliments end.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I was forced to spend much of my time in the bedroom working - I chose this hotel because of the 'high speed' broadband in the rooms. It was anything but and most of the time I would of been quicker using the local pigeon club to send an email.

The bar was very disappointing. I stayed midweek in February during the height of a recession, so as you can imagine the bar was not that busy. There was an exceptional number of staff and yet the service was ridiculous. At one stage I stopped a barman, as he walked accross the floor ,of the lounge and asked him for a coffee - he told me I would have to order up at the bar, there must of been at least 3 customers in the place at the time. At another stage, I asked for tarter sauce and received some sort of Curry/Cajun sauce.

I would never stay in this hotel again. It is a soulless place with big open spaces that just don't work in a rural town in Ireland. It might work in a city that thrives on traveling business people.

Finally, why does the lift have to stop at the ground floor every time when you are going from the bedroom floors to the basement carpark. Very annoying!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Been to Carlton Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!