“Ballinasloe's hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Ballinasloe
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Pillar House offers a comfortable atmosphere with first class food and drink served by friendly staffWe pride ourselves on providing delicious homemade wholesome cooking with a range to suit every taste & pocket!There is live entertainment every weekend and our page is updated each week with our upcoming performers.We have a very special Traditional Music Session on a Sunday Evening at 6pm. The session is led by Roscommon men John Wynne on Flute and Frank Kelly on Piano Accordion and are also regularly joined by Patsy Hanley on Flute.As well as a full Bar & Restaurant there are also 15 En-suite Rooms, including family rooms are
galway
“Ballinasloe's hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I have eaten in Gibbons several times recently, both during the day and at night time. On each occasion the food has been delicious. Good menu offering lots of variety. Prices are incredibly reasonable for the standard of food served. Wine list is small but perfectely adequate and like the food very reasonably priced. Aswell as being a lovely friendly local pub, its a real treat to get served such really good top notch food in such unassuming surroundings. The staff are exactly what good staff should be like - attentive, pleasent and genuinely nice. I can highly recommend Gibbons for food and drinks that will not dissappoint.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
PillarHouse, Manager at Gibbons' Pillar House Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Many thanks for posting your review on Trip Advisor and we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to The Pillar House. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I pass through Ballinasloe on occasion due to work commitments. I have not eaten in the Pillar House Bar & Restaurant in over a year.Last Sunday I was rushing and needed something that would be quick and simple. I said I would chance here. It was in the evening and I could not believe the menu I was handed. The food was definitely not what I had expected for a pub. I was expecting average pub-grub to be honest. I had the supreme of chicken with black pudding mash and I have zero complaints, it was delicious! There was a brown haired girl and a red haired boy working and they were extremely professional and helpful, they went above and beyond what is expected of bar-workers and made sure I was well looked after. I genuinely enjoyed my meal and I will be back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
PillarHouse, Manager at Gibbons' Pillar House Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Barbara, Many thanks for your review, your positive feedback is much appreciated. I'm glad that you like our menu and I will make sure to pass your comments on to the staff on duty that evening. Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kathryn Gibbons
Galway, Ireland
“Thumps up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I recently stopped in Ballinasloe one Sunday evening while i was passing through and when i asked one of the locals where to eat they recommended Gibbons'. As soon as i went i was greated by friendly cheerful staff. As soon as i sat down i was taken care of. I ordered a drink and looked at the menu. I was pleasantly surprised to see such a diverse and well constructed menu for a Bar/Restaurant. I got my food and everything from the flavors to the presentation was amazing. A real surprise from what i expected. The atmosphere was brilliant and everyones needs were catered for. There was a ceile there that evening and there was great entertainment. I will definitely visit again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
PillarHouse, Owner at Gibbons' Pillar House Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Many thanks for your review.I'm delighted that you so enjoyed your recent visit to the PILLAR HOUSE. It's great to get such positive feedback and I will certainly pass on your comments both to our chef and to our bar and wait staff. Our evening menu was completely revamped in July with the arrival of our new chef Vik Haulkhory and in the last two weeks we have again refreshed the menu so we hope that you will join us soon again to sample it. Our weekly Sunday Evening Trad Session is very popular and is now well established on the local trad scene and have welcomed musicians from all over the country Thanks again...Raymond Gibbons
“Yum! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Just had dinner here yet again and loved it, friendly with nice cosy atmosphere,can't wait until the fire is lighting,,,Food to suit all,this traditional pup has definitely moved up a couple of notches,great place for an evening banter and a tasty bite to eat :-)

PillarHouse, Manager at Gibbons' Pillar House Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Many thanks for your review and delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Look forward to welcoming you again !
Galway, Ireland
“Passing visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is just an okay pub which serves a country mans dinner.
Nothing out of the ordinary.Would be a bit rough and ready but
`the staff would be very friendly.Would recommend to the average working man but would not be the choice of many women.Town was very quiet but general atmosphere was
friendly.

Visited June 2013
Thanks for your review, we appreciate all comments made by our customers. The Pillar House is a traditional family run Pub Restaurant. We pride ourselves on providing excellent food and drink with friendly service in comfortable surroundings. We have a wide customer base, both male and female all of whom are made to feel welcome, be they families, couples work parties, or individuals. We have new menus in operation since you visited us last and we would be delighted to welcome you back again.