“Good carvery lunch.” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Killybegs, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Killybegs
“Good carvery lunch.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I came to the carvery for lunch. I ordered the roast beef and it was delicious and a huge portion. The service was great as well. For dinner we came back. The vegetable soup was great. My chicken entree had good flavor but was a little bit dry. The staff was nice. Overall I enjoyed my meals at the Tara.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear FamTimeFL,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Tara Hotel.

I am delighted to hear your feedback regarding our very popular carvery lunch, served Monday to Friday from 12pm - 3pm. We aim to offer the freshest in local produce, our beef roast is sourced from a local Donegal butcher. Indeed our carvery has been recognised as one of the top carverys in the province in a recent competition based on customer votes.

Our staff will be heartened to hear that their great service skills do not go un-noticed! I will pass your kind comments on to the team here.

Hopefully we can welcome ou back to the Tara Hotel again in the future

John Dee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Alford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

After a long day driving from North east england via ferry to Killybegs was welcomed by friendly staff and the best pint of G i have had in quite some time.
Stayed the week did my job and cannot wait to go back.
Hotel clean and smart- menu varied enough and reasonable.
Gym downstairs for those who can mange that stuff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Tass 511,

Thank your for your very positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I will pass your comments on to the hardworking team here.

We constantly aim to offer the highest quality accomodation and food offering at a reasonable price and strive to ensure that our hotel is always at its best. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tara Hotel in the future.

belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Tara is really very much a mixed bag.On arrival the receptionist made our party of four extremely welcome in a natural,non-condescending way.The rooms were clean and of a reasonable size. The bar staff were professional and polite....so why my doubts you may well ask?? The main problem came with food...two of the party got excellent meals whilst the other two received fare which was barely edible!! Amazingly,for a hotel situated 20 yards away from Ireland's premier fishing port,the seafood was abysmal!!When one of the party mentioned this to the waitress,she seemed to take the complaint on a personal level,consequently from there on we were treated to silent service.Breakfast was fine ,albeit involving a lengthy wait for someone to actually serve us.On checking out,we had the pleasure of dealing with our "arrival" receptionist...so we left on a high! Hence my inability to write a flowing report on Tara Hotel,Killybegs!!

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the harbour.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear whiteman_7,

Thank your for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Tara Hotel. Our warm and welcoming staff often receive great comments from guests and it is good to see this occassion was no different.

There were issues with your visit for which I must offer an apology; located as we are overlooking Killybegs harbour we are lucky to have an abundance of fresh seafood on our doorstep. It is obvious that the quality of your meal was not up to our usual high standards; I have shared your feedback with the kitchen team and our complaint handling procedures will be reviewed with our floor staff.

Should you wish to embellish further on your visit I ask that you contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie. We appreciate all guest feedback as it allows to continuously assess and improve our offering.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family 20 of us stayed at the Tara for two night. We were made to feel very welcome. The hotel rooms are larger that you would expect for a 3 star and breakfast was very good. The bar food is also reasonably priced. The hotel was exceptionally clean there is also a nice view looking over the harbour, and the front rooms have a large balcony. You must visit the Sleve League cliffs which are about a 15 min drive from the hotels and are one the highest sea cliffs in Europe! The reception staff were very friendly and I woudl recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The harbour view rooms have a large balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Pauline M,

Thank your for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear your satisfaction with all aspects of your stay; I will pass your comments on the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tara in the future,

Yours Sicnerely

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in Killybegs as part of a Road Scholar (E.I.L.) trip in Ireland. We found the hotel to be quite comfortable and probably a good deal for the price. Breakfasts and the dinners quite good. We found, however, that some small maintenance items were overlooked, and we had to alert the staff. The desk lamp bulb was out, as well as the light over the sink. We think that the sink light may have been replaced, but then the bulb life was quite short-lived.
One travel book aptly called Killybegs a place to take a vacation from a vacation. From Killybegs, a tour out through Glen Columb Cille and Mailin More is easy to do and worth the time. It is one place to really see the bogs of Ireland and its peat harvesting.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dick_mary,

Thank you for feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are always happy to welcome large groups such as yours and am glad to hear that you enjoyed dining with us here in the Tara.

I must apologise regarding the issue with the bulb in your room; our records show that the bulb was changed when notified but went again; subsequently it was discoverd there was a fault with the fitting. I do hope it did not impact too much on your stay.

Killybegs and the surrounding areas offer beautiful scenery and a chance to unwind away from the busy bustle of towns and cities; many guests comment on the peaceful environment here.

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Tara is centrally located in Killybegs - fancying a bite of lunch we decided to try the Tara's carvery which is self styled as one "of Ireland's best".
I ordered the cod which I thought would be a safe and pleasant option given that Ireland's largest fishing port was literally a stone's throw away. The Cod was a huge disapointment - there was literally rivulets of grease coming out of it - accompanied by a selection of veg which resembled someone who had been on the suntan bed too long. I haven't been let down by a carvery so badly in a long time. My wife ordered one panini type and was served a completely different one - with no floor staff about she had to make the best of it. I had to order a second cappucino as the first I got was cold - I was braced for this as I could see it standing abandoned on the bar counter for nearly 15 minutes before someone served me with it.

All in all a tragic waste of time - better option was to buy fresh fish on the pier and cook it ourselves. Which we did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear CrackerMackey,

Thank you for your review, we welcome all guest feedback as it identifies any areas for improvement and allows us to continuously assess and improve our standards.

Firstly, I must apologise for what was obviously a below standard experience in terms of food and service. This is not a reflection of our normally high standards; our staff particularly receive positive feedback as reflected in guest feedback & comments. We always have at least 3 floor staff on duty for lunch; therefore, I find your comments regarding the lack of floor staff misleading and would question the complete lack of attention described. However, it is evident that our staff were not as attentive on your visit as they should have been.

Our carvery is usually highly praised from both locals and those visiting the area as it offers a selection of fresh roasts, fish dishes and healthy options. I have spoken with our Head Chef and steps have been put in place to ensure that all our dishes, particularly our deep fried fresh fish, are of the highest quality.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I ask that you allow us the opportunity to make amends for your exoerience, should you visit the area again in the near future I ask that you contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie

IRELAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

From the moment we arrived, ( May 29 ) the staff here were fantastic. Always greeting with a smile and a few words. The room was brilliant for a 3* standard. The bed was really comfortable and the view was great. The food was excellent. I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear BOH4LIFE,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear so many positives and good comments about the team and the hotel, particularly regarding the quality of our rooms.

As part of continuously improving our product we have recently invested in upgrading all our rooms with 26" flatscreen TV & changed all our bedding to duvets with colour co-ordinated cushions and throws. Along with our complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, we feel that our facilities are comparable with higher standard hotels.

I will pass your comments on to our fantastic team here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tara Hotel again in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

John Dee

Been to Tara Hotel? Share your experiences!