“Carvery not up to scratch” 3 of 5 stars

Tara Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Main Street, Killybegs, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Killybegs
Dublin
“Carvery not up to scratch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Tara is centrally located in Killybegs - fancying a bite of lunch we decided to try the Tara's carvery which is self styled as one "of Ireland's best".
I ordered the cod which I thought would be a safe and pleasant option given that Ireland's largest fishing port was literally a stone's throw away. The Cod was a huge disapointment - there was literally rivulets of grease coming out of it - accompanied by a selection of veg which resembled someone who had been on the suntan bed too long. I haven't been let down by a carvery so badly in a long time. My wife ordered one panini type and was served a completely different one - with no floor staff about she had to make the best of it. I had to order a second cappucino as the first I got was cold - I was braced for this as I could see it standing abandoned on the bar counter for nearly 15 minutes before someone served me with it.

All in all a tragic waste of time - better option was to buy fresh fish on the pier and cook it ourselves. Which we did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear CrackerMackey,

Thank you for your review, we welcome all guest feedback as it identifies any areas for improvement and allows us to continuously assess and improve our standards.

Firstly, I must apologise for what was obviously a below standard experience in terms of food and service. This is not a reflection of our normally high standards; our staff particularly receive positive feedback as reflected in guest feedback & comments. We always have at least 3 floor staff on duty for lunch; therefore, I find your comments regarding the lack of floor staff misleading and would question the complete lack of attention described. However, it is evident that our staff were not as attentive on your visit as they should have been.

Our carvery is usually highly praised from both locals and those visiting the area as it offers a selection of fresh roasts, fish dishes and healthy options. I have spoken with our Head Chef and steps have been put in place to ensure that all our dishes, particularly our deep fried fresh fish, are of the highest quality.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I ask that you allow us the opportunity to make amends for your exoerience, should you visit the area again in the near future I ask that you contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie

Yours Sincerely

John Dee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
IRELAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

From the moment we arrived, ( May 29 ) the staff here were fantastic. Always greeting with a smile and a few words. The room was brilliant for a 3* standard. The bed was really comfortable and the view was great. The food was excellent. I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear BOH4LIFE,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear so many positives and good comments about the team and the hotel, particularly regarding the quality of our rooms.

As part of continuously improving our product we have recently invested in upgrading all our rooms with 26" flatscreen TV & changed all our bedding to duvets with colour co-ordinated cushions and throws. Along with our complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, we feel that our facilities are comparable with higher standard hotels.

I will pass your comments on to our fantastic team here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tara Hotel again in the future.

Inverness
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Arriving in the hotel carpart, I wasn't sure what to expect. However, I was pleasantly suprised. The receptionist was polite and very helpful (I was having car problems and she offered to get me some numbers for local garages). The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The only issue with the room was the shower. The pin that you pull out on the taps to turn it into a shower was not working. Trying to shower and hold this pin out at the same time is not easy! Lunch in the restaurant was nice and the waitress was friendly. Breakfast could have been a bit better - there wasn't much choice from the cold buffet. Apart from that, the hotel was very nice and I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear InvernessSarah2011,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that your stay, overall, was enjoyable. From your comments it is clear that there were minor issues; I must apologise for the problem with the shower was obviously inconvenient and this has been addressed by our maintenance team. We are also taking on board your comments about our cold buffet; this is now being reviewed with the restaurant team and we will be expanding our offering in the near future.
Apart from this I am happy to hear that our receptionist was helpful and that you would return to stay with us again. Should you return to stay with us in the future we would be happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a suite, please contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie when booking.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It was a surprise to find a hotel of this quality in such a tiny fishing village and a real pleasure to have such a comfortable modern spacious room at such a reasonable price. The dining is really good in the very modern dining room overlooking the ocean and the service is terrific.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear holtrip255103,

Thank you for your feedback & your comments in relation to your recent stay at the Tara Hotel. Many of our guests are surprised by the high standard of accomodation & service provided by the team here. They will be very happy to hear of your positive experience & hopefully we can welcome you back to the Tara Hotel again in the future.

Your Sincerely,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Very enjoyable overnight stay at
Tara. Staff helpful and friendly, food excellent, beautiful location and good value for money. Rooms clean, fairly spacious and we had lovely view over the harbour. Meal in restaurant was top class, and price included bottle of wine. I'll be back!

Anne

• Stayed April 2013
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Annemcd1,

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted to hear of your feedback from your recent stay with us; the team here will be pleased to hear such great comments! Many guests comment on the high standards maintained by the housekeeping staff, the quality of food served by our team of chefs and the friendly welcome provided by all.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Tara Hotel again in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Immediately you walk through the door you are made feel at home. The staff are wonderful and so friendly and helpful. Room had a great view over the harbour. Food was great and served with a smile. Overall enjoyed my stay and would return.

Room Tip: Harbour rooms have great view..
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Eileen L,

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent visit. I am delighted to hear of your enjoyable stay with us & that our staff were welcoming and friendly. As a small, independent hotel we pride ourselves on personal attention to our guests and aim to make the Tara Hotel a home from home for all our visitors. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future and I will pass your comments on to our team here.

Yours,

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

the staff here are very nice and accommodating. But there isnt a lot they can do in certain conditions. Management obviously feel its ok to allow children to run riot in the hotel even in the eating area where the staff where passing up with trays of hot food and drinks as were customers during the carvery. Not to mention disturbing other customers. We left because of it and will go elsewhere in future when I'm visiting Killybegs. I'm looking forward to the other hotel reopening. maybe they will up their game with a bit of competition.
The wifi is no existant, I couldnt get a signal once. Awful. Wont stay here again or eat here either.

Room Tip: not impressed but there are great B&B's in the area I use now.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear sandraorourkeglynn,

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear that your visit was not up to standard. As a policy we request that children are attended at all times; for the very reasons you have metioned it is dangerous with staff carrying trays and drinks. Obviously, on your visit, the floor supervisor was not pro-active in enforcing this policy and I apologise for this. This occurence is not a reflection of our usual standards.

I am surprised to hear your comments on our complimentary wi-fi. We have not noted any issues with signal over the past few weeks nor were any other commments made by guests in relation to this. However, security purposes we do have an access code which has to be entered to avail of this service.

I am glad that our staff were welcoming and friendly. We would relish the opportunity for us to make amends for your negative experience. If you are visting the area again in the future or wish to add further details on your visit please contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie.

John Dee

Been to Tara Hotel? Share your experiences!