“Visit the moon and learn to make outlaw salad” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 17 Attractions in Selfoss
Type: Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Iceland Safari offers wide range of Glacier Tours, Volcano Tours and Offroad Tours.Our vehicles have been taylor made for off road tours and glacier excurtions. Our drivers and guides have a wide "off road" experience with "Super 4WD's" and will make your Iceland Safari tour unforgettable. We are located in the heart of the "Golden Circle" one km south from Geysir.
Chicago, Illinois
“Visit the moon and learn to make outlaw salad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was on the fence about whether I wanted to do a Super Jeep tour, and I found Iceland Safari via a friend of a friend. It was stunning, just an amazing experience.

We were picked up at our farmhouse and taken to see a shooting geyser, and then to bathe in a natural hot springs in Hveravellir. Our guide told us about the outlaw who had once lived there, surviving on stolen sheep and natural herbs, wild mountain sorrel and several others that our guide showed us and let us taste.

This was the furthest north I have ever been, and the scenery alone is mindblowing. We could have been on the moon. We barely saw any sheep, let alone houses or people, just the occasional rock structures possibly built by elves. We did see a native fox, a running flash of white that our driver stopped to point out to us.

In July the weather was about 8 C (46 F). Bring warm clothes -- jeans are okay but not ideal; "cotton kills" as our guide said, because it gets wet and never dries. Bring food and drinking water. The weather in Iceland changes fast and the wind and rain come at you sideways. Iceland kills umbrellas.

This tour was not physically challenging, we did only short hikes. If you want to bathe in the geothermal hot springs, consider wearing your swimsuit under your clothes.

Orlando, Florida
“Hveravellir Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I knew when I saw the formidable orange and black super jeeps that we were in for an adventure. Our tour guides Kiddi and Throstur took us through the lunar landscapes with views of the Langjokull and Hofsjokull glaciers. Once we reached our destination, Hveravellir, Throstur took us on a guided tour of the sorroundings. He was extremely knowledgable, pointing out different edible plants species and giving us a history lesson on the "outlaws" that once sought refuge here. Throstur even joined us for the trips piece de resistance, a dip in the geothermal pool. The tour was very family friendly and I would recommend Iceland Safari to anyone.

Orlando, Florida, United States
“Iceland Safari, The Coolest Super Jeeps Around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Traversing bumpy mountains roads with ease, the super cool super jeeps of Iceland Safari are the best way to travel in style and have fun while doing it. These high-profile vehicles put you up above the road for fantastic views of mountains, glaciers and even wildlife (our group spotted an Arctic fox off the road). The friendly guides are skillful drivers and experts on Iceland's unique geography, ecosystems and history. We were invited to ask questions throughout the tour, gaining a much deeper understanding of the places we visited than we ever could have traveling on our own with just a guidebook in hand.

New York City, New York
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We highly recommend Iceland Safari!

Not only was our guide and driver, Thröstur, cool, friendly, and certified, but he also has his MA in Environmental History and so, our trip was fun and informed - he was able to tell us which wild plants were edible, which were used medicinally, how to live off the land. We saw so many beautiful sights - geysers and glaciers, the wide open terrain of the Highlands and the steaming hot springs. Swimming in the blue-green hot spring was incredible, but off-roading was really fun, too. I traveled with my 7 year-old son and a small group of friends and felt safe at all times - perhaps because the jeep is huge and the driver is experienced.

We took the tour to Hveravellir (07), up in to the West Highlands between the 2nd and 3rd largest glaciers: Langjökull and Hofsjökull. In Hvaeravellir, we learned about Icelandic outlaws, ate wild sorrel, and soaked in the geothermal waters. After soaking, we ran in the chilly wind to the cozy rest stop for coffee and cocoa. It was delightful.

The weather was blustery, and I am glad that I packed a windbreaker and hat along with my swimsuit, towel, and camera. Our tour was 10 hours, and was spent driving across beautiful lands, stopping at sights (geysers, waterfalls, geothermal fumaroles), hearing the history and folklore of Iceland, walking, swimming, taking photos, eating the lunches we packed, having a really great time.

Thank you to Iceland Safari! We will see you again next time!

Starkville, Mississippi
“A real Icelandic adventure to Hveravellir!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

What a great day we all had visiting Geysir, Gullfoss, glaciers and the hot springs at Hveravellir in the Super Jeeps! I have nothing negative to write other than the weather being less than perfect. Our guides were professional, friendly, skilled and knowledgable (conversation ranged from geology to edible wild plants to fine art to Icelandic history). Our vehicles were safe, comfortable and ideally outfitted for the rough terrain (including some off-roading). My family and I would not have been able to see so much in one day without the services of Iceland Safari.

When I was daydreaming about our trip to Iceland I pictured myself soaking comfortably in natural, sulphur-y, hot springs while nasty weather swirled above my head. And that is exactly what I did today - and with new friends!

I highly recommend Iceland Safari for people wanting a hassle-free experience. Bring some Kronas to support Hveravellir and to buy some coffee. Bring warm clothes, rain gear and your best camera.