“Nice place but lower your expectations...” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Geysir to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Haukadal | Haukdal, Selfoss 801, Iceland   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Selfoss
Axminster, United Kingdom
“Nice place but lower your expectations...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I think the one word which sums up this hotel is "average". Not much really impressed us about this hotel but it's not at all bad.

The whole place appears to be run by about four people who also seem to work as the cleaners and waitresses. When we tried to check in we had to knock on the kitchen door in the restaurant to get someone. It also turned out that the main building that's been advertised as being the hotel is just a restaurant; the rooms were actually in a separate building about 500m away. The rooms were comfy, clean and warm but pretty small and uninteresting; to be honest it felt a bit like a cheap hostel. We were, however, really disappointed that the restaurant closed at 8pm! We completely did not realise this and ended up having to drive about 40km to the nearest town to eat. Breakfast was better though; tasty and plenty on offer.

The rooms had superb views over the Plains and some mountains, and also it was nice to walk around the Geysers early in the morning and late at night when all the coach tours had gone. It's a very peaceful place; during night the place is completely and utterly desolate with no light pollution and no cars. If you want to see the Northern Lights then this is a top spot. Just bring something to do because at night there are no bars or restaurants to go to!

Overall:
Pros - Great views and very peaceful
Nice comfortable rooms
Nice food
Cons- Nothing to do
No where to get food at night; no minibar or anything
Accommodation felt like a bit of a con

I would recommend if you are looking for a peaceful hotel but I wouldn't pick it for any other reason. Just know what to expect when you get there

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
ElinThor, Owner at Hotel Geysir, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Alex,
Thank you for your review. We ask at booking for all our guests to let us know about late arrival (in the winter time since the opening hours are then shorter) I´m sorry that you didn´t know that and that the lobby was not then open when you checked in, I have gone over this with our reception and other staff concerning your review.
If guests are checking in late you can notify us and also make a dinner reservation. If you make a dinner reservation the kitchen is open to 8 but our guests can feel free to stay longer and have drinks at our bar or you can also buy drinks at check-in after dinner if you like to have a drink in the room and that arrangement has suited our guests well.
Tips for other travelers: let us know for late check in and make reservation for dinner, we only close the kitchen at 8 if there are no guests.
We do not advertise the restaurant being the hotel but it is the largest building in the area and the lobby, bar and the restaurant are in that building. As you can see on our website our rooms are in bungalows or in one wing, both around 3 minutes walk from the restaurant. This is a small family company but we have more staff then cleaners and waitresses as suggested in your review, it seems that your visit was very short, checked in late and as most guests gone after breakfast. There is also included in the room free entrance to our multimedia museum across the street. There is one of the biggest souvenirs store in Iceland as well as another large restaurant, ice-cream store and coffee house, but closed in the evening durning winter time.
I´m sorry that your experience wasn't as you expected but we really appreciate to hear from all our guests and we take it seriously when the experience is not as expected. We are always working on improving our hotel and now we have started to built a new hotel connected to the restaurant. Furthermore we are building a spa that will be ready in April 2014, our summer guests can enjoy hot tubs, saunas and relaxing room and massage. We have always had swimming pool and hot tubs but due to this improvements it was not when you were our guest. It was good to hear that you enjoyed the view and he peaceful place. We really want our guests to enjoy the Northern Lights in peace and quiet with no light pollution and you can view the hot spring area also in peace and quit since all the lunch traffic is gone. In the summer time there are 3 restaurants open in the evening, coffee house, ice-cream store and the clothing store. Also there are various activities to do both summer and winter and another tip for other travelers please contact our reception for booking and information about activities.

Thank you again for your review we hope to see you again, especially in the summer time were there are more options for restaurants and activities.
Best regards from Geysir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Afraid because it was a little bit late, searching for food, we decided to try to enter in this hotel/restaurant even if it seemed closed looking from the outside. Surprised, even if it was "off", they served us a very good fish sup with an excellent taste and a glass of white wine. Good service, also. If you're near Geysir, it's a good choice.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
ElinThor, Owner at Hotel Geysir, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you so much for you nice review on our Hotel restaurant, we are open every evening all year around and everybody is welcome to drop by without reservation. Thank you again and hope to see you again in Iceland.
Our very best regards
Orange City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

The cabins were very cozy and cute. We LOVED the beds, they were so comfy! The hot water straight from the geysir was very refreshing and felt wonderful. You have to give it 20ish minutes to get to your shower but once it's there, boy does it feel great! The surroundings were breahtaking with mountains on one side and plains on the other side with mountains in the distance, everything covered in snow. The sunrise was BEAUTIFUL! The food was okay, I couldn't cut my steak with a knife, I had to use my teeth... For breakfast, we arrived there at 10, which is when they stop breakfast, but they left it open for us anyways! So sweet of them.
We also created a new adjective, one specifically for Iceland. "Viking" It's when a food is not disgusting but not delicious. Its when something smells or tastes not good but not bad.. Hard to explain, but you know what it is when you experience "Viking"! My mom and I loved staying at Hotel Geysir for sure!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ElinThor, Owner at Hotel Geysir, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for you great review. We really emphasis on the beds and they are all brand new and we choose the best labels, good night sleep is very important.
Yes you have to wait for the hot water since it is straight from the geysers but as you said refreshing and wonderful and the purest as well. We feel very lucky be surrounded by this beautiful nature. I´m sorry to hear about your steak and I´ll let our head chef know about your comment. Tips for other guests: let us know if you are not satisfied with the food and we´ll make it up to you straight away. We use local ingredients and the freshest meat so it should always be nice and tender. Great to hear about the breakfast - in connection with the good night sleep :)
Viking food is a great word for Icelandic traditional food that is not for everybody but fun to taste.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again at Geysir Iceland. Our very best regards.
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We had expected the rooms to be located at the hotel itself but to our surprise they were in another building some 400 meters away. Also we had expected to be together, as we were travelling with a large group, but some of the couples did not stay in our building but in the small cabins next to the hotel. The room we got had two twin beds and not a double, so we decided to push the beds together. But than one bed was higher than the other. The beds were HORRIBLE! The matress was hard and I could feel every spring poke me in the back, so I didn't sleep very well. The bathroom was good, with a large shower. There was no minibar, no phone and to our disappointment didn't have complimentary coffee and te. You could get free coffee and te in the common area though. Ok now for the positive feedback: The room was clean and warm however. The food at the hotel was AMAZING!! We ate there both in the evening and than brunch the next day. The service was good and servers were friendly. I might want to eat at Hótel Geysir some day but I might not stay at the hotel over night...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Elin,
Thank you for your review.

Yes it is correct that our rooms are not located in the restaurant but the building you checked in at, is our restaurant and the rooms are in one wing/bungalows in walking distance.
We always try to have groups together if possible and I´m sorry to hear that it was not your case. You can always request at booking to book a double room with the beds together.
The next review we received here on TripAdvisor was that the bed was amazing and that is the comment we get from most guest. All the beds are new and it is really important that our guest gets good night sleep but it is different what is suitable for different guests. The beds in one wing have gotten great review so I´m very sorry to hear about your lack of sleep. We decided to have tea and coffee for all our guests in the common area. I have great news though, we are building a 4* hotel now and there we´ll have phones, coffee and tea in all the rooms and a great bar with amazing view over the hot spring area with many selection and the new hotel will be connected to the restaurant as well as new spa. I hope that you'll then try our new hotel and hopefully you'll get a great night sleep. Nice to hear about the food and the service, it is also very important to us that all guests get great food at Geysir.

Thank you again for your review, it is always great to hear from our guest and it is good to get an Icelandic perspective as well. We really hope to see you again when our new hotel arrives.
Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I liked my little cabin room at this hotel. It reminded me of the 1970s and was very relaxing. This hotel is simple but clean and comfortable. I enjoyed sitting in the dining room, as I saw the big geysir blast every few minutes. The food was ambitious but not pulled off to the standard one would expect for the price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Two words: Identity crisis. We stayed here for one night while it's undergoing a rather strange transformation. I say it wasn't as expected because the photos online gave us a completely different perception.

Short story: Our room was clean and comfortable. We felt safe and it is super close to the actual geysers across the street. Aside from one other couple, we were the only ones there that night... and pretty much in the whole Geysir area.

The long story: When we were ready to check in, it was quickly getting dark and there were NO tour buses or crowds. However, we were confused as to where to the hotel lobby was. The main building had a large sign "Hotel Geysir," but there were no signs pointing to a lobby or check-in. I will mention here that I immediately noticed how old and dark it seemed and that it was loosely built in the style of a Swiss chalet, though obvious stages of remodeling was going on.

Still searching for the lobby, I kept walking into the restaurant, but none of the construction guys were being helpful until finally one of them kindly stepped forward to tell me it was closed. I gathered that me meant the RESTAURANT was closed and asked him where I could check-in for the hotel. His English was halted, so he actually stepped outside to wave me towards an exterior door near the REAR of the building. Ah!

The lady at the front desk was very nice and friendly and showed us on a map that our room was actually in a different building down the street. I was a bit perplexed, but okay.

The lodging was in a one-story block building in a straightforward, utilitarian style VERY different from the ornate 'chalet' look of the main building. Not modern, but simple and sterile. Although our room was small, it was very clean and had everything we needed. Aside from us, there was only one other couple in the place and they were next door, but we never heard a peep from them.

There are no dining options outside of Hotel Geysir, so at dinner and breakfast, we walked back over to the main building. Inside it was still dark, but the construction equipment was put away. To get to the dining room, which would have been hip and cool back in the 70s with its dark booths and mod-chic décor, we passed through the bar area which looked the part of a severely outdated, creaky Swiss chalet. The public bathrooms, on the other hand, were completely different from the rest of it: very futuristic and hip with modern aesthetic, and, in fact, probably one of the nicest restaurant bathrooms I've ever seen.

Dinner was actually decent and I had reindeer for the first time. Breakfast was the same elaborate spread offered at the other Icelandic hotels. Enjoyed both meals. The server at dinner was nice, but we could tell he was utterly and completely bored since he was serving only 3 couples that night. The staff at breakfast was also bored, but he busied himself and was also very kind.

Overall, this place was odd... the different building styles didn't make it feel very cohesive, but I attribute that to its current state of transformation. Being that it was November and they had very few guests, it made sense that they'd choose to remodel and perform construction now. Hotel Geysir provided a bed and bathroom and meals, and we couldn't have asked for a better location to be nearer the actual geysers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ElinThor, Owner at Hotel Geysir, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for your helpful review.
Good to hear that you were happy with the clean and comfortable room and that you felt safe. One of the good things about staying at Hotel Geysir is that is right opposite of the hot spring area and you can see it in the evening with few people around. As you said we were remodeling and we moved the lobby at the front since we have gotten this comment before that it is confusing were to check in. Now it is all clear and our new lobby is ready and we are very happy with this transformation. It was being built at the time you stayed in the hotel.

Regarding to you comment about identity crisis there is a lot of remodeling happening now at Geysir. It is a family company which started with a sport school in 1927 and is still run by the same family. We are starting to build another hotel which will be connected to the restaurant. We have been growing through the years but we want to stay close to our roots and keep the spirit and the design cozy and country style but still modern. We agree that the rooms in one wing have different style then the restaurant and that is something we have also started to change but it will take time. We are happy though with the rooms, new beds, clean and comfortable but as you said different style.
We just renewed the restaurant :) But of course people have different taste in decor. One of the most famous interior designer in Iceland right now, Leifur Welding designed the restaurant and everything is brand new (here you can see his work http://www.pinterest.com/leifurwelding/projects-designed-by-leifur-welding/).
We have paintings only from Jóhannes Kjarval, Icelandic most famous painter in the restaurant as well so we really aim to make it classic but warm.
We wanted to have it dark and cozy since our main focus is a la carte in the evening. We are also building a fire place in the middle so it will get even more cozy.
Great to hear about your dinner, we have a amazing head chef and we really focus on our restaurant to be good.
I hope that I have explained the different styles, our aim is that it will be the same style in time and the next 2 years will be a lot of changes so I hope you will come back to Geysir Iceland and it would be great to hear from you again:)

Thank you again and our very best regards from Geysir.
Hotel Geysir.
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Rooms arent in the hotel as the website would suggest. They are either in the cabins towards the fornt of the hotel or in a newly built block at the back of the hotel. We ended up in the block to the back. The rooms were fine but not what you d expect from the website. I think staying in the cabins the is the better option. The hotel staff were very friendly and the location of the hotel is good for the geysirs. The restaurant in the hotel is nice. It has a large window looking out toward the geysir. The food in the restaurant was top drawer. I had the cod and lingoustines in a lobster sauce with sushi to start. It was excellent and i d highly recommend a visit if you stay in the hotel. It worked out around £10 - 16 for a main course, which isnt bad at all. The drinks seemed a bit pricey but again not too bad at around £3.70 for a bottle of beer. The breakfast in the morning was also superb. A vast array of eggs, bread, meats cheese, mimi sauages, baked beans - the works. All in all the hotel is good, the food is excellent, the staff friendly and the location good for the geysirs. The rooms arent quite what you d expect off the website but go for a cabin if you have a choice as the seem the best option.

Room Tip: Go for the cabins