“Pleasant and near Reykjavik” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eldhestar

You added Eldhestar to your Saves list
Eldhestar
3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   Vollum Olfusi | P.O. Box 90, Hveragerdi IS-810, Iceland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Berkeley, California
“Pleasant and near Reykjavik”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a very comfortable, attractive hotel and well-worth a visit even if you don't ride horses (we don't). Quiet and some easy walks here and there.

Delicious Food. And it's only 1/2 hour from Reykavik.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for several nights while I was on one of the horse-riding tours. The customer service was fantastic, staff cannot do enough for you and will go out of their ways to make sure you have a good stay. They will pick you up from Reykjavik and drop you back and were happy to recommend tours and local places to see. However, the hotel is not very close to many things so you would need a car if you are not on horse-back. The horses... well what to say apart from it is obvious that the owner and the staff are crazy about horses. They make sure you will have a good time and an experience you'll never forget. The food during tours was excellent, both while out riding and when we got back to the hotel. We were not given a menu so each meal was a nice surprise however you are given choice as to which meat or fish you might want based on what they have available. The beds were incredibly comfortable and this is important if you are riding all day. The hot showers were essential and it was also nice to have the option of sitting in the hot tub at the end of a long day. As my husband was not riding, its a shame that there aren't any other facilities available in the hotel - perhaps a spa, pool room would be a good addition? However this might take away from the rustic charm of the hotel so its not essential. Would happily stay here again, felt like home away from home.

Room Tip: Our room was lovely but it overlooked the car park so we had to keep the curtains closed if we wante...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Namur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have book the hotel on our round trip in Iceland... Nice place, clean large rooms, nice view on the horses outside and good breakfast. Easy parking if you have a van and you are able to plug you on the power.
Free WIFI at the lobby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The room was large and comfortable. The view and smell was of horses. As I'm not a horse person, I wasn't very impressed. We did not eat dinner at the hotel. The wi-fi did not work in our room. When I inquired at the desk, they told me to walk closer to the lobby. Not the answer I wanted! We were with a tour group, and at breakfast the tables were all reserved for the guest or tour. Unfortunately, our group consisted of 16, with a table for 12 reserved. We were on a tight schedule, so we sat at a unused, but marked table. About half way through the meal we were asked to move, as the people it was intended for needed it. They didn't seem to care that we had no assigned place to sit. Not impressed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My mother and I stayed 4 nights whilst riding. The room was large and comfortable. Opened out onto the garden area and hot tub. It was cold outside but always warm in the room due to underfloor heating. Food was excellent and so was the service. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2013
Bishops Caundle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

New and very comfortable hotel linked with riding of Icelandic horses. Spacious rooms with wet room style shower, and outside access from every room. Plenty of horses around to watch, and ride. Most comfortable 3 star hotel I found in Iceland. Rooms all named after horses rather than numbered.

Room Tip: Two hot tubs located together in one corner, so ask for a nearby room to avoid a long walk.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Karlstad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Last year I went to Iceland and Eldhestar to go horsebackriding and realized that I have to learn more.
Some days ago I took part of the Wintertour/course and had some quite fantastic days with lessons before lunch and tour-riding in the afternoon. The room and food were absolut great.

We were lucky with the weather, sun and light vind and I felt convenient with "my horse". She went willingly through the water,along the paths and I was safe and happy all the time.
The lessons were interesting and I learned a lot. - Where else can you get better lessons than at Eldhestar with its prominent teacher ? (my opinion)

Room Tip: swimmingpool= hot pot. You can go to a swimmingpool not far from the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Eldhestar? Share your experiences!