“Quiet and clean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Berunes Hostel

You added Berunes Hostel to your Saves list
Berunes Hostel
Berunes 1 | at Berufjordur, Djupivogur 765, Iceland (Formerly YH Berunes Hostel)   |
Arlington, TX
“Quiet and clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I felt very welcome at this little hostel in Berunes. I did feel however that I was difficult to find a bed for as a single traveller, but I never figured out why. They apologized for putting me where they did and even gave me a discount. But I was never uncomfortable or felt out of place.
I stayed in the old farmhouse in a very comfortable bed. The bathrooms were clean and large.
The whole place was very quiet and relaxing. Breakfast was hot pancakes and cereal. I was very surprised at how relaxing this hostel was. I would definitely return.
The only downside to this place was that there was no where to eat dinner nearby. They had a kitchen where you could cook your own meals, but there was also no grocery store nearby. I wish I had known this ahead of time and I would have brought something from one of the larger towns up north.

• Stayed June 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Its in a remote farm in iceland. We had a good experience, the room was good size, and the bathroom was tidy. A great place for a hostel and the price is just right. The farm is located in the middle of nowhere giving a nice lcelandic feel to it. You feel that you are in a remote place in a remote country.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Lovely place to stay as the management, which has been on this site for ten generations, is very good and they have built good facilities. There are a variety of rooms- we stayed in the modern house with a large common room that offered a view down the lawn to the fjord.

Much better than the cramped and poorly laid out and equipped Skogar.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
O'Fallon, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The man who checked me in was very nice. He showed me where my room and the bathroom were. I didn't get much sleep here but it wasn't because of the hostel. I have a strange sleep schedule... The room was nice and a pillow was provided. My roommates were nice. They are coed rooms btw. No issues with anything. The location is nice. It's right by the water and has a great view.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here in two "bungaloos" with private bathrooms. Everything was very clean. The food - evening and breakfast was the best we had in Iceland! The son of the owner is a fantastic cook. The owners are kind and helpful. And the location is beautiful.
Gonen Family, Israel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Long Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We loved this hostel. It's our first stay in a hostel and what a a pleasant surprise. We were in a newer house with 5 rooms and 2 bathrooms. We arrived very late (11pm) and the wonderful owner waited up for us. The rooms were quite basic but very clean and well maintained. This hostel is more like a bed and breakfast. Breathtaking view in every direction.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed at this "hostel" for one night in early May. The "hostel" is beautifully located overlooking the fjord on an incline with beautiful mountains in every direction. Really spectacular. There are some nice walking trails right behind the hostel and you can walk by the shore. Very quiet area, far from everything.

The "hostel" is basically a very well-maintained farm. As we were there in the shoulder season, we stayed in the main building (attached to the owner's house - what a nice man!), but we went down to the hostel (old farm building) to pay our bill and the dining room looked stunning (lots of wood beams, beautiful tables, etc). The main building was fine, but the kitchen was not as well equipped as other hostels in Iceland. But for the price, the location, the comfort of the rooms, the cleanliness of the bathroom, this detail was very much overlooked.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Berunes Hostel? Share your experiences!