“Gut-wrenching, tear-jerking” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$41*
and up
Munich WWII Combo: Dachau Concentration Camp and...
Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Dachau
Durham, North Carolina
115 attraction reviews
“Gut-wrenching, tear-jerking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Many people shed tears at Dachau, and I did also. I truly had the sense that this place was haunted by the dead, and a gloom with which I can compare no other situation came over me.When you walk through the gate with the "Arbeit macht frei" sign, you have arrived in hell on earth. As horrifying as the visit was, a visit here is important to any student of history. I was glad to have come in winter, as it attenuated the awful odors of the ovens. Having seen this concentration camp, I never wish to visit another, but I value that I cathartically saw it for myself. Observe, but do not linger.

Visited February 2013

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Canada
14 attraction reviews
“A Sobering Reminder of What Happened”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

A reality / gut check about the goings on during and before WW II.
Large facility, comprehend the size and the destruction that took place.
The Crematoriums, and why so many Germans suffered like everyone
else in the concentration camps.
A well spoken guide was essential and enlightening.
The rainy day we attended, grounded everything we knew previous to the visit.
Excellent museum, and graphic photographs grind the reality into you.

Visited October 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
126 attraction reviews
“Sobering and poignant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

When I first found out we were going to Germany in winter I was a little disappointed because of the weather. However, when we got to Dachau I realized that coming in winter was a gift. It put into much more vivid perspective the unimaginable suffering the prisoners there encountered at the hands of their captors. As we toured about shivering, observing the open fields in front of the housing areas, we couldn't help but contemplate the pain and misery the underdressed, often barefooted, malnourished people must have felt as they stood there being counted. This site is well-worth visiting. Take the guided tour. Learn, listen, reflect, take time to just let it soak in.

Visited January 2013
Ozark, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
“Unbelievably sad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited Dachau in Oct 2013. Provided with English language hand held wands that described the different areas as you walked through. We felt as if the camp had been "cleaned up" to make it look better than what it surely was. There were only two of the barracks and they had been rebuilt - not original. All others had been torn down. There were religious memorials to various religions and at least two monuments or statues. The museum was very interesting with pictures and stories from beginning to end. Such a sad, unnecessary event in our world history. So many people and for what? My father-in-law helped liberate a concentration camp and he had so many stories to tell. There were many more than I realized all over Germany, even in Poland and Austria. Just so sad and sickening. Dachau was a must see,.

Visited October 2013
Ohio
8 attraction reviews
“Emotional, Historic, A Must Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

A must visit historic monument. Yes, you will cry. Yes, it is very sad...go anyway. There is much to learn about this and other camps that were created during WWII. We must honor those who suffered and died by acknowledging what they endured.

My grandfather was a US solider; one of the first to liberate this camp... He was forever affected by that experience and so I had to go. In our group of 8, I was the only one that "wanted" to visit. After our visited they admitted that the experience was meaningful.

There are English speaking guides (for a small fee) and I would HIGHLY recommend a guide because they will convey so much more information than a self guided tour ever will.

Visited December 2012