“It happened all here...” 4 of 5 stars

Visit Dachau Concentration Camp like an insider
Special Offer
$38*
and up
Munich WWII Combo: Dachau Concentration Camp and...
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Dachau
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 attraction reviews
“It happened all here...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

WWII and the way it shaped the western world has only been read about and watched in movies by people like us, who live on the other side of the world. A trip to Dachau added a whole new dimension to that knowledge and world view.

The trip was conducted by Radius tours and Bike rentals at Munich. Our guide Kevin, was perhaps the best person to conduct this tour, as he helped our group ( mostly non europeans) to feel the horror and human disaster that Dachau was,with dignity, perspective and poignancy.We went through the gates , the vast roll call ground, the living quarters, the prison barracks, and then the gas chambers and cremetoriums. There is also a gallery that captures the lives ( or dwindling of it?) of those who were brought here.

It is very important to have a good guide and a good tour organiser to go thorugh these tours, specially if one is not a native of the region. One would never understand the context otherwise

Dachau is a must see, for children too, though somber, it will help them understand what the world went through, what shapes people's lives and choices and how important it is to value the joy of Freedom and peace.

This trip in a way made us cherish our present and value our future, because it reminded us how the past was so horrific

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
16 attraction reviews
“A must while visiting Munich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We took a guided tour booked at the train station near our central hotel. The booking includes a train + bus ride and our guide did a thorough job of relaying historical information surrounding the development of the camp as well as its function. A sobering experience well worth taking the time for.

Visited June 2013
New Jersey
16 attraction reviews
“Had a fantastic experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had never been to a concentration camp and wanted to see one. Had a chance to go to Dachau which is one of the very first ones that opened.

When I got there, I was only planning to stay for about an hour or so. I asked for a tour and they said, "it will start in 1 hour and it will last about 2.5 hours." I told them I did not have that time and they told me I could walk around on my own and read the signs. I decided to go that route. I spent 5 hours there!!

I learned so much about how Nazi Germany came into power and what went on. I am not a WWII history buff, but I greatly enjoyed to learn about all of this. It was fascinating but depressing.

I came out well educated, depressed and angry about what happened there, and proud to be an American. I know, this sounds egotistical but when you see all the horrors that occurred for years and years and then you learn that it was the Americans who liberated this camp, there is pride there.

I recommend this to anyone who is visiting the Munich area!

Canada
31 attraction reviews
“Sad but a must-see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

While it is sad to see and hear about. It is definitely necessary to visit to truly understand the extent of the horrors committed against the people detained at camps such like these. We used the walking tour and the guide was very knowledgeable and informative.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Lest we forget.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

On a recent city break to Munich my husband and we took time out to learn about and pay our respects to the horrors of WWII that were carried out at concentration camps such as Dachau. Most, when asked to name a concentration camp will usually mention Auschwitz however it is imperative that places such as Dachau are remembered, especially as this was the original concentration camp, opened in 1933, upon which all others were based! The whole event was moving and teaches you of the historical background to the camp, those who served there, the treatment of different prisoners and the atrocities committed! There are many original features and you are greeted at the entrance by the now famous phrase 'Arbeit macht Frei" Alas in the case of many who were sent here, work did not make them free! I would recommend visiting here so that we all understand that these camps existed and never forget what happened behind the facade that they were places where life was good.