“So Sad” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$41*
and up
Munich WWII Combo: Dachau Concentration Camp and...
Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Dachau
Toronto
11 attraction reviews
“So Sad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I guess we have all seen these camps on T.V. but to see it in person just really brings it home, it's hard to recommend that you go and see it as it really is a must see but left me feeling so depressed pretty much in tears but you should make the effort it will make you understand a lot more what really happened.

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Long Island, New York
“Dachau Concentration Camp - You must see it so we never forget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were a group of 16 traveling together and booked the tour via Viatour with Radius Tours. We have used them before in Munich and would do so again, although some tours are hit and miss with them. This was very very good. Our tour guide Nicola, was very knowledgeable and had a way of describing the indescribable with sensitivity and subtlety that I very much appreciated. I had injured my knee prior to the trip, but she was able to set the pace so that I could keep up but noone felt as though they were waiting for me.
Dachau itself was incredibly moving as others have described, and very different in some ways than I expected. I learned a lot on this tour that I did not expect to learn, and highly recommend that everyone take the tour. There's no doubt that a guide to this place enhances the experience immensely and I highly recommend Nicola and Radius for this tour.

Cairo, Egypt
5 attraction reviews
“Nazi Germany ...... NEVER AGAIN”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Although we study Nazi Germany in school and watch documentaries, but it is nothing like seeing reality. During the whole walk around I felt like I was on Schindler's List movie set, looking at the security towers, fence, trenches and the water trenches around the electrified fence I felt like I was playing Medal of Honor. However, the feeling that grips you immediately and fills your heart with sorrow and horror is the amount of damage to humanity one human can create. The words on the gate read "work will set you free". Imagining what the inmates went through, I believe they would have wished for "death will set you free".

All the standing buildings seem to be left in almost the same condition they were in since liberation in 1945. The main building has been transformed into a well documented and illustrated museum. The danglers and interactive screens take you through probably one of the worst eras of humanity and drive in the message NEVER AGAIN. It's easy to empathize a prisoner or even a SS soldier, it's important to see the point of view from both sides so the disaster is understood in totality.
The prisoner's living quarters still have the beds, communal wash areas and communal toilets. The saddest part is the crematoriums at the far end. You have to walk through the original fence gate. In the big crematorium there is a room that had shower heads installed in the ceiling to deceive the prisoners, once in, thinking they would shower, the gas would start. This is probably the most disgusting thing done in Nazi Germany. To kill eye to eye is something but to deceive and exterminate is another.
The memorials are beautiful and each one tells a story of pain and each one seems to have a heart that has never stopped bleeding.
On the exit from the main gate I stood looked at the "roll call" ground and saluted every single soul that was oppressed, but left relieved that for sure, regardless of their crime, religion, ethnicity or political affiliation they must be in heaven, because God is just, and no one deserves hell on earth and hell after death.
I salute the German authorities for displaying this era for all of us to learn and insist NEVER AGAIN.

England
70 attraction reviews
“Moving.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Having been to a few of places such as this, I would say that Dachau has been done with a realistic view on such evil times. A MUST SEE IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA. I would of liked a bit more info on some of the more well known victims from the actual Nazi regime that suffered here though. Slightly less than comfortable with you being able to buy food at the place too. (Though this may just be me?)

Oxford, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Good to see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We took a guided english tour and it was really worth it. It was busy with a lot of tour busses and we did rush through some exhibitions. The two hour tour was just long enough and very informative. Good to see once.