“I love this place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Eureka Springs
St. Louis
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

I have gone here for the past four years and I have nothing but wonderful things to say. As for all of the complaints I have read, it seems most of them, especially the parking issue, are made clear on their website. As far as parking, you arrive and park right in front of the hotel, they shuttle you to their lot and bring you back to the front door. Yes the hotel is old, but that is part of the charm. The views from the balconies, which are available to everyone, are wonderful. It is such a nice place to visit, and the Basin Park is a great place to stay. Don't expect the latest fad hotel, they don't claim to be that. My rooms have always been clean, charming, and comfortable. One last thing, I have had nothing but exceptional service from all of the staff there. I highly recommend Basin Park as well as the spa.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Rogers, AR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Do yourself a favor and do NOT eat here ! Service terrible and food just dreadful.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Basin Park a couple weeks ago. A friend was having her wedding reception there so we thought we'd stay at the hotel for one night since that's all we could afford. Let me just say - this was the worst experience I've ever had.

Parking is a nightmare - the only savior was the free shuttle that took us to and from our car. Check in was fast and easy, although the staff was not friendly at all. It took us longer to walk up the stairs to the 4th floor as opposed to taking the elevator because of how slow it was. Our room was tiny and had a king bed in it with some weird box around the base of the bed. We kept running into the bed and had bruises all over our legs from the box around it. The "free" wi-fi didn't work in our room, the sink had seperate hot/cold water faucets that were really inconvenient, the showerhead was broken, and the noise from the room above us was terrible.

I called the front desk around 10:30pm to complain about the noise above us and they didn't know what to do about it. When asked if they had any policies/procedures set on how to deal with noise they couldn't give me an answer. They told me that there was a wedding reception on the 6th floor and that's probably what the noise was from. I informed him that I was part of that wedding reception he was referring to and not only was it on the opposite side of the building from our room but that it was 2 floors up from us. I'm assuming the front desk called up to the room to tell them we complained about the noise because the noise got even louder.

The next morning when we checked out I complained and, dispite their hesitation, they gave us a gift certificate for a free jacuzzi suite (only later did we find out that it was for a stay Sunday-Thursday only).

This was the worst hotel expreience I've ever had. DO NOT STAY AT BASIN PARK!

On a side note: the night before we stayed at the Stonegate Inn as I got it for $50/night on Priceline. It was quiet, clean, and exceeded our expectations. We would DEFINATELY stay there the next time we visit Eureka Springs!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

This hotel sells itself as a classic vintage hotel. It is somewhat restored and definitely provides the feeling that you are in an old hotel.

Our stay in room 317 was fine with a few exceptions.
Our king bed seemed to not be level. The foot of the bed was higher than the head.
Hot and cold water were reversed in the bathroom sink.
WiFi was not functioning. But there is a computer for guests to use in the lobby.
Our room was made after we requested the service.
A chirping in the hall way could not be silenced by the staff. They insisted that they did not have the key to a utility cabinet.
The elevator was functioning - but may sure it works when you arrive. Be aware that the 1st floor is actually the second floor.

We paid $99 a night for a two night minimum and received the 3rd night free. I would not pay more than $100 a night for this hotel. Otherwise, I recommend checking out some of the other rustic hotels.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

The location turns out to be the best reason to stay. The room was OK, however this is over a 100 year old hotel that has been somewhat updated. We did stay in the off season, apparently service was in the off season as well. We did find the door man and the staff cleaning the rooms very nice and accomodating. However upon arriving the check in service was lacking in service skills. However, not compared to the next morning. We asked for locations of several local places we wanted to visit, apparently we were taking up breathing space of the desk clerk, She was very unfriendly and made us feel as if we were bothering her with our request, after all we were only paying $189/night for the suite........... I guess asking for directions is EXTRA!
Regarding the bill, we too had been overcharged for over over $60.00 dollars in charges and it took over 25 minutes to sort it out with the desk clerk and get a copy of the corrected bill. We love Eureka Springs, I would like to stay at the Basin again, however we would need to see the management of such a great historic hotel pay important attention to the needs of there guest in relationship to the staff. I would only recommend the Basin for the location.............. everything else should be considered a crap shot!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

I feel compelled to write a review in response to a couple of the negative reviews on the site. My husband and I visited Eureka Springs a year and a half ago and had a wonderful time. I think if you know what you are getting before staying at the Basin Park Hotel you will be very happy. For one thing the location is wonderful. One reviewer complained about the parking, but the hotel info makes it very clear that parking is off location and gives directions on accessing the hotel and the parking. Staying downtown Eureka Springs is going to be tricky for parking almost anywhere because of the nature of a historic town with hills. The reviewer also complained about their room location, but they don't indicate if they tried to move. My husband and I too had a room right next to the elevator and the first night our sleep was disturbed several times by people exiting the elevator and yelling down the hall! One thing that would have helped would have been a seal of some kind for the bottom of the room door. Anyway, we asked to be moved to a quieter room for our second night and were set up in a nice room while we were out. Our second room was much quieter until 2:15 AM when we were awakened by a huge screaming fight between a woman and her husband in the room below us. However, one call to the front desk was enough to take care of them.
Our dinner at the Balcony restaurant was not the best we've had but the location for eating is great and the service was professional and friendly if though they were busy.
The hotel is charming, clean, and the staff is great. The only thing we missed was cable movies, there's no movie theatre in town.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
springfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband planned a surprise Valentine's Day getaway for the two of us. He booked a room at the Basin Park hotel as a package deal which included a free meal and a massage for two. Sounds great doesn't it?
When we got to the hotel we were unsure of how and where to park the car. It turned out that you get a pass and have to park your car quite a ways away and then hike back up. However, if you don’t want to hike up to the hotel you can take a shuttle. I have to say that I didn’t see the shuttle the whole time we were there and everyone I saw coming or going for the hotel walked. This is not the worst part thought.
Our room was 211. This room was on the second (third from the street level) floor. It was right next to the elevator and stairs and caddy corner to the receptionist desk of the spa. I think that this has got to be the worst room placement in the history of the hotel. If anyone is standing at the receptionist desk and talking you can hear everything they are saying crystal clear in your room. This room had no view. Well actually the view was of the outdoor patio. I am glad that it was February and the patio was closed otherwise we would have been surrounded by people.
We decided to get the massage the day we arrived (since the pass was only good for that day). We were the last appointment of the day. I was under the impression that we could get massaged in the same room rather than be in separate rooms. I was WRONG!!!!! Apparently that is called a duet and it is $20.00 more. We were only told about that after the massage. It was late and I didn’t feel like arguing with the lady, so we just paid the money and went to dinner.
The free meal voucher was only good at the two places in the hotel. We chose to eat at the Balcony restaurant. When we entered the place we were told to find our own table and the staff would get to us when they got a chance. I realize that it was Valentine’s Day and they were busy, but I have never had such unprofessional service before. We found a table and saw many waiters walk by. Eventually, 30 minutes later, someone asked if we were helped. When we said we were not, he asked if we wanted to see the menu. No we really were not hungry, we just wanted to take up the space and sit there, people watching.
The food was mediocre at best. My burger was slightly burned and my husband’s Ruben sandwich was barely eatable. The restaurant staff was very unprofessional, sitting down at our table when they were taking our order or asking if we wanted anything else.
Overall my impression of the hotel was horrible. I couldn’t sleep at night because of all the noise coming from people taking the elevator or the stairs or talking. I would not recommend staying at this hotel. Spend your money somewhere else.

• Liked — Nothing to like
  • Disliked — everything, from the staff ripping you off to horrible parking arrangements, to poor room positioning
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to 1905 Basin Park Hotel? Share your experiences!