“Cool hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Eureka Springs
Frisco, Texas
“Cool hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed 2 nights (Thursday and Friday). First off, all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is very old, so don't expect anything modern! They still use keys for the doors, which was really neat. We stayed on the 2nd floor. Our room had a king size bed and jacuzzi bathtub. It was kind of weird having to walk down a couple of steps to get to the bathtub and sink, while the toilet was hidden behind a door. The bathroom had two glass doors that open to the balcony containing rocking chairs, etc. Everyone on that side shared the balcony, which creeped me out at first, but I just had to get over it. For the ladies with long, thick hair....the water pressure sucks. It took forever to get my hair washed! Just FYI. I loved the hotel cats, but only saw one of them. The place is beautiful. Trust the staff when they recommend the hotel shuttle to get downtown unless you are in really good shape! The roads down to downtown are REALLY steep!!! We found a path of stairs to walk back up to the hotel from downtown, but I'm not positive it was any better! I can't remember the last time I walked up so many stairs! Great unexpected workout! Definitely don't recommend flip flops if you plan to walk! If I were to visit Eureka again, I'd stay here again. Unfortunately for the most part because all of the other hotels in the area looked rather run down and dated as well. At least this one appears to be first class.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We just got back from our first trip to Eureka Springs. We stayed in Room 230, which is a king room on the corner facing the front of the hotel. This room is super small and has a very old tv, which you can't really see from the right side of the bed.There is no balcony and the second window looks out over the smoking area for the restaurant employees.

That said, the Sunday brunch is fabulous and was included in the cost of our room. We also dined Saturday evening at the Crescent's steakhouse. The food was good--try their Crab Lorenzo--but the atmosphere was better. We sat by a window overlooking the garden. There's a piano player and the tables are spaced out--probably only six couples in there with us. We felt like we were there alone. We couldn't hear the other diners talking. It was lovely and everyone working in the restaurant was so pleasant. Big thumbs up to the restaurant.

The grounds are beautiful, but be sure to bring tick protection. We got three. Very gross. There's a little walking trail into town that is fun to use. A bit steep coming back but we did it in about 15 minutes each way.

As others have mentioned, there's a $10 resort fee added to the cost of the room for things we didn't want to do. We weren't interested in a group tour of the hotel or drinking wine in the lobby for an hour, but the $10 isn't optional. It is what it is.

Overall, we enjoyed our three days in Eureka Springs. The Crescent was part of that experience, but we didn't love ES because of the Crescent.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Crescent for one night on room 218. I can honestly say that we experienced nothing supernatural. The room was very comfortable and well appointed. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. We also took the ghost tour which was simply okay. We learned nothing new but we were allowed to view the morgue in the basement. We ate the breakfast buffet in the morning and it was great.

arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We have been staying at the Crescent for about 5 years every few months, this stay was the best ever. We were in room 202,a suite with shared balcony (the people across the hall never came out on the balcony) the rooms were spacious and the parlor room very bright. Over the years the hotel rooms have been renovated with updated bathroom fixtures, lights and much nicer linens (just takes time and money). Our room had remote control AC and remote ceiling fan controls, we had two huge flat screen TVs, bath room was a little small but with such a wonderful room no complaints. The balcony overlooked the valley, since the weather was so nice we were able to enjoy the view. Unable to say enough nice things about this visit.

New Haven, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

This place could definitely use a good cleaning and some sprucing up, but I enjoyed it all the same, though my husband less so.
Its positives?
First, its location, on top of the hill, with great views all around, and lovely grounds that you can walk around on. It gets you a bit away from what I imagine is a very crowded town in the summer time, but it’s still an easy walk or tram ride into the charming town.
Second, its historic and unique character: the wide wooden staircase, the ornate original front desk, the high ceilings, the wide porches and balconies with rocking chairs where people sit and relax, and the fireplace in the lobby (yes, it’s gas, but it’s still inviting). It’s not your cookie cutter chain hotel by any means! (another nice touch that sets it apart from cheap chains is real glasses in the rooms - a small thing, but significant in terms of quality.)
Third, the staff. They couldn’t have been friendlier or more helpful. One night, I was very much looking forward to a hot bath but I couldn’t figure out how to get the plug to stay in place. I called the front desk and the young man came up right away. When he couldn’t figure it out either, he called maintenance, who gave him some suggestions. When those didn’t work, he took the plug downstairs, took a piece out, and got it to work! How’s that? There’s a concierge - a nice service - who gave us excellent travel advice, and the dining room staff was also very pleasant and efficient.
Being curious about the town and the surrounding area, we didn’t come close to availing ourselves of everything the place had to offer. They have a lot of activities during the day, breakfast is basically included, there’s a casual lunch restaurant upstairs, and they also serve dinner, so if you were so inclined, you could just spend the whole day there.
A few quibbles: We were a bit nonplussed by the $10/day “activity fee,” especially when the guide on the one tour that we took made it clear that a tip was expected, so just be prepared for it. Also, I would have killed for a box of Kleenex in the room. Last, this is problem with so many hotels: we like fresh air, especially in a beautiful place like the Ozarks. But the only way you could get a window that opened was to get a balcony room and keep the door open, which was a little awkward since the balcony stretched across several rooms! Otherwise, you’re stuck with air conditioning, which seems crazy in a place with such nice air. But I think we’re a minority on this topic.
These negatives, were minor compared to all the pluses. It was a delightful place and I would certainly stay here again.

A small tip: get there before dark or you’ll never find it! Signage is strictly regulated in the town (i.e. there is none, for the better) and the twisting streets are confusing. If you’re really lost, though, just keep going up, since it is on top of the hill.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My husband and I were just married on 12 April 2014 at the 1886 Crescent in the fountain garden. The reception was in the Conservatory. I can't say enough about the friendly and helpful staff. Susan acted as our wedding coordinator with the hotel and she was fantastic to deal with, making sure everything was perfect from beginning to end, both prior to and the day of the big event.

If you want a beautiful setting in a historical town and venue, I highly recommend the 1886 Crescent Hotel in Eureka Springs Arkansas. The capital for Southern Weddings, Eureka Springs is a beautiful historical Victorian town, full of Victorian homes (mostly B&B or Inns now), the healing springs, and an artisan community of friendly people. My family lives near by, but my husband and I live on the east coast and our guests came from all over the United States and Europe. Everyone loved the town and the 1886 Crescent. For very reasonable prices, consider this for your wedding destination. Give your fiends and family more than just a nice church and hotel, give them the experience.

Thanks to the staff of the 1886 Crescent for making this day even more memoriable
Linda & Ralph DeTurk

Room Tip: Also, I would recommend your wedding party take advantage of the on-site Spa for nails, hair and mak...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had a great time. Ghost Tour, Spa day, and lots of shopping. We had a great time. There was a wedding and it was literally right outside our bedroom windows. We stayed in room 101 and yes it was crazy loud. We didn't let it bother us and we watched tv till they called it quits at about midnight.

The ghost tour could use some work. The woman was not friendly or nice. It was very scripted and she would not allow questions. It would have been so much better is the guests were allowed to interact, ask questions and get involved. I was still glad I did it but I don't want to do it again. And I will recommend to people to read about it unless The Cresent changes how they do it. Give them another hour or something let them have some fun with the guests. It felt like she was on a timer and we would be the ones in trouble if she goes over her time limit.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to 1886 Crescent Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!