This hotel bills itself as the “First Luxury Hotel in Lake Atitlan.” It’s beautiful setting on a cliff overlooking the lake and its three volcanoes is stunning. The hotel itself is charming, with it’s walls painted in bright blues, whites, and yellows and decorated with local textiles, ceramics, and wooden carvings.
The hotel has it’s own dock so we were dropped off there after our tour of the lake. But it’s a long walk up to the hotel and we had to take several breaks to catch our breath.
The small gift shop next to the lobby sells local crafts that have been given a more modern twist, such as aprons and table runners made from a combination of local textiles, pillow covers made from embroidered blouses and painted ceramic figurines in the local dress.
One can choose to eat indoors in the dining room or on the terrace overlooking the lake. The latter is a good option for pre-dinner drinks and watching the sunset over the lake.
Our room had its own terrace and opened to a small library that was shared with two other guest rooms. The bathroom is a bit rustic but was fine, although its proximity to the garden allowed bugs to gather in the shower area.
The food prepared by the restaurant was of a very high level and we enjoyed our breakfasts and dinners very much. The dinner portions were a bit large for us so my daughter and I often shared.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Casa Palopó. Perched above spectacular Lake Atitlan with a view of three volcanoes and located in the Guatemalan Highlands, Casa Palopó offers two distinct brands of romantic relaxation for the sophisticated traveler. Choose from the charming and colorful accommodations in the main building, which features seven spacious rooms decorated with contemporary and indigenous artwork. A large living room with fireplace, gourmet restaurant, elegantly set tables are set in intimate clusters inside the relaxed dining room and on the glassed terrace, additional tables spread along the wide veranda, 6.8 Palopó is the place to catch an uninterrupted view of spectacular sunsets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Otel so you can book your Casa Palopo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Palopo Hotel Santa Catarina Palopo
- Casa Palopo Santa Catarina
- Casa Palopo Guatemala/Santa Catarina Palopo, Lake Atitlan