“Highlight of my Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Las Piramides

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Marcos La Laguna
Las Piramides
Save Saved
You added Las Piramides to your Saves list
San Marcos La Laguna, Guatemala   |
Toronto
“Highlight of my Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My week-long stay at Las Piramides was the highlight of my five week trip in Central America. Although everyone else was there on a three month or one month retreat, there was no problem for me to stay just for one week. The pyramid hut I shared with one other woman was fairly rustic but perfectly adequate. There's no kitchen--you cook your own food in the all-vegetarian kitchen and with an abundance of cheap produce nearby and decent health food stores, it's easy to make food on the cheap.

All in all, for less than $25 a day, it's a pretty good deal as it includes lodging, gentle hatha yoga class in the morning, a mid-morning metaphysics lecture, and a evening meditation class. Plus there's a really great library and the grounds and nicely leafy and shady. And it's right in San Marcus, so you can pop into the great restaurants for a strong coffee or healthy meal.

This is a great place to peace out on the shore of gorgeous Lake Atitlan and recharge. San Marcos is a perfectly peaceful and friendly place, if without any amenities like banks. But this was definitely just what I needed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
Business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I came here for a Tarot Card reading and an emotional release type therapy thing later on. Both sessions were really enjoyable; they were done by the same therapist, an English guy called Marcus. He was very fun and understanding. These were the only things I had done so I can't comment on the rest but it looked really interesting, e.g. crystal healings with Egyptian massages etc. But I don't really believe in that type of thing so I just went for the psychological/emotional stuff instead. If you go I would highly recommend Marcus as a therapist. Sometimes it helps to have someone to let out painful trapped emotional stuff, and it's a lot cheaper to do that here than back home!! my tarot card reading unlocked a major answer to my question, it basically cleared up the reason I came on my whole trip on the first place. So very good. My second reading it was just nice having someone to talk to about something very painful.

The rest of the place; the grounds were beautiful and the buildings of the centre were striking. It was well-signposted but secretive and mysterious at the same time, with many winding paths and half-hidden entrances by bushes etc. I really liked it. I liked the Reception area because there was a shop with some really cool things in; crystals etc. I ended up buying some nice flower essence that you can put in drinking water. I liked the girl who worked on reception, she was quite nice. There was one who was quite rude to me the first time I visited, but I cant remember whether it was the same girl or not. But anyway, if it was she was nice enough the second time round.

I think you'd get a lot out of a visit/stay here if you are very spiritual and holistic, but even if you are not and are skeptical etc., you could still benefit from a visit to the emotional/psychologist therapist. Overall, I would recommend Las Piramides and would definitely go back there if I was ever in the area again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Antigua, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This place is something special. If you have a month to spare, definitely consider doing the moon retreat. This isn't really a hotel, you have to do the classes as well, but if you haven't looked into this place do it. If you are at all interested in meditation, yoga, or metaphysics, this is the joint.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to travel too far from home (the US) to find a place such as Las Piramides - a haven to search for spiritual enlightenment and personal retreat.

I don't think they book rooms to people not participating in their programs but you should definitely look into them if you are into new age, yoga, spiritual guidance, personal growth, or are just looking to find direction in life.

I stayed there for one day only and participated in their yoga and metaphysics class. However, I would have loved to remain for the entirety of the course - one month.

San Marcos is also a great town focusing on New Age matters where you can take a variety of courses including massage, reiki, yoga, etc.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

This is one of the best places I know where you can enjoy spiritual issues, nature and meet other travellers.

You cannot stay there without visiting the classes, so it is not a hotel. If you only want to sleep in a Piramide you are not in the right place. The place invites people to interact and enjoy the classes/meditaion/yoga etc.

You can stay in a small Piramide (up to 2 persons) or in the dormitory (up to 4). Alway be aware of your stuff. Lock the doors when you are in class or our swimming in the lake. A spiritual place means not that you are out off the real world. So take normal precautions.

Diner can be served in the vegetarian restaurant or you can cook it yourself in the communual kitchen.

The real name of the place is: Las Piramides del Ka

• Liked — The atmosphere and the meditation sessions
  • Disliked — Communal toilets
  • Stayed January 2004, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Marcos
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

Your Pyramid/room does not have a bathroom; the toilets and showers are at a separate location. People have broken into or walked into unlock room and taken things.

Anyone can walk onto the property and gain access to your Pyramid.

The police will not do anything.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2005

When I first heard of Las Piramides at Lake Atitlan, I had the feeling I had to go there at some point in my life. When I arrived there I had a lot of stress that had caused me blood pressure problems and trouble to sleep properly. After only 6 days, I went to a clinic to check my blood pressure. It was completely normal! There, I even had naps and the troubles to sleep properly, are gone. The yoga, the exercises, the peace that I found there cured me; something that very good doctors couldnt do before. Please, let me explain myself about it. I have a big deal of respect for medicin and doctors. However, what I needed the most was real rest. I found it there.

The persons you meet there are really special. The landscape is gorgeous, fruit is so fresh, the lake is very clean and perfect for snorkeling. Besides that the topics they discuss there are very deep and interesting.

My experience was so good that I will spend Xmas and New Year there.

Erick Bucaro

• Stayed March 2002

Been to Las Piramides? Share your experiences!