“Slice of Heaven with a twist of lime” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Paco Real

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Marcos La Laguna
Hotel Paco Real
You added Hotel Paco Real to your Saves list
Barrio 3, San Marcos La Laguna, Guatemala   |
Mayfield, KY
“Slice of Heaven with a twist of lime”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I stayed here a week in January, during a Masons on a Mission project. Coming from a wintery US, the palm trees, thatched roofs of the cluster of chalets, and laid-back ambiance of Paco Real was totally surreal. I'd love to give Paul and crew a 100% thumbs up, but as my room lacked a bathroom, I found it challenging to walk to the communal toilets and showers. (I understand most of the other rooms have bathrooms.) Other than that, my room was clean, comfortable and the grounds beautiful with blooming flowers everywhere. The in-house restaurant's food/drinks were excellent and a great value. I strongly recommend their "typico" breakfast platter as well as their fruit salad piled high with granola, yogurt, and drizzled with honey. Their pizzas rock! Paul, the owner makes you feel welcome and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I e-mailed Pablo in advance and he got right back to me with answers and reservations. When we arrived everyone there was cordial and accommodating. We had a 3 person dorm with a shared bath and everything was clean and worked well. Right on the main path from the dock to the "highway". Quiet and secure location.
Loren

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Paco Real is a grouping of chalets in the centre of the tourist area of little San Marcos de Laguna on Lake Atitlan. We stayed in one of the larger rooms with a private bathroom. The room was spacious and bright during the day, a bit dimly lit at night and the bathroom space was rather awkward. The grounds are well kept and the on-site restaurant offers a good range of menu selections including wood-oven pizzas. Owner Paul is very hands on and helpful, although when he was out of town for two days and the water to our building stopped, no one on-site could address the problem so we had to use the shared shower and bathroom in the next building. Water pressure is a general problem, and WiFi, available only in the restaurant area, was unavailable on our last day and the morning we left. The tourist area is all footpaths, so no street traffic. By the way, visitors should know the beaches all around Lake Atitlan were submerged or washed away during extremely heavy rainy seasons two years in a row. The lake has no drainage, so it just fills up. We expected to find at least a small beach at San Marcos – the town map still shows the location -- but it is under water, along with many buildings, patios, and docks all around the lake. There are plenty of good reasons to visit the lake and the dusty little towns along the shores, but being able to relax on a beach is no longer one of them.

Room Tip: We were in room one, lots of room for a couple, but you do hear people using the shared washrooms an...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Pereira, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I really couldn't ask for more from a hotel experience. I stayed in two different rooms both of which were good sized and clean. The staff were friendly and Paul the head honcho was always there to handle any question I had. Before coming I stayed at one of the expensive "luxury" hotels in San Marcos, but I enjoyed my stay at Paco Real much, much more. The hotel seems to be a hub for the entire SM tourist centered community but still remains quiet enough to polish off a few novels in the courtyard (which I did). The food was also fantastic - don't miss the brick oven pizza. And last but not least, they have a TV with cable for all your world futbol watching needs!

Room Tip: The upper rooms seem to have a better vibe.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Once I stepped into the compound I knew I had made the right choice. Paco Real is a beautiful place, in a good location, has a nice restaurant and wifi! The man in charge, Paul, is very nice and helpful and the room (I stayed in the dorm) spacious and bright.
Most of the staff were friendly most of the time, but not always. Also, our room and bathroom was not cleaned once during the 5 days I stayed there, but once I had mentioned it to Paul it was sorted right away.
Overall, I really enjoyed my stay and can recommend it to others. After all I was supposed to stay only one night and ended up staying for 5 :-)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed after receiving a personal recommendation that this was the place to stay. We signed up for the San Marcos language school program (which we completed over the week).

The rooms were clean, the grounds were well maintained and the food was good. Keep aware of your personal security as you would elsewhere in Guatemala, but we had no issues. Paco Real became our home away from home with exceptionally friendly staff who made the stay special.

Highly recommended as a great base on Atitlán.

Room Tip: This hotel is near the lake, so it is in a humid location. Higher up rooms have better ventilation.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011 via mobile

We were so impressed with our stay at Paco Real. The room was large, clean, and comfortable. The staff took great care to cover all our needs, and give us any information we needed. We were treated with kindness by all of the staff. The food was excellent at the restaurant, and the drinks are cheap. It was nice to sit outside and relax during the evening out by the bar. Stay at this hotel. It has great ambiance, and you can't argue with such an amazing staff. We will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Hotel Paco Real? Share your experiences!