“Great week at the Shaligram” 5 of 5 stars

You added Shaligram Hotel to your Saves list
Shaligram Hotel
Jawalakhel 4 / 139 | Shaligram Village, Patan (Lalitpur) 4/139, Nepal   |
Akron, Ohio
“Great week at the Shaligram”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

While in Nepal, I have stayed in 4 hotels in the Kathmandu area. The Shaligram hotel was by far the best and most comfortable. The rooms are well furnished. The bathroom was Western style. I highly recommend it and will stay here when I return. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is a workout center nearby (at an additional cost). I had a roof top apartment and enjoyed the additional area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
sahsasia, Marketing & Reservations at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Edwin jee,

Thank you so much for your excellent review of Shaligram Hotel. This drives us to do even better for our guests.

I hope you enjoyed your visit and treks in our beautiful country. I hope to see you on your next visit.

Namaste & Best Regards,

Manisha K.C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Dresden, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Extrememly friendly staff. Clean, comfortable rooms. Great location removed from dust and noise. the negative is the limited food options for meals if you are not organized to use the kitchenette. Vegetarians have a tough time!

Room Tip: top floor is great in autumn.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
sahsasia, Marketing & Sales at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for taking some of your time to review Shaligram Hotel. I will make sure to suggest to Manny's Eatery & Tapas Bar & Nirvana Cafe (at the Nirvana Centre) to consider some choices for vegetarian main courses.

Again thank you for your good advice,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Our first two weeks were in the older building. Everyone was very nice, great location, but the building itself was showing its age.

After two weeks, they moved us to the new building and it was amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
sahsasia, Reservation & Sales at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Residence. We hope that the Heritage buildings will be as enjoyable, if not close, as we have now finished renovating the rooms.

Namaste & Best Wishes.

Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I’m just ending a two-week stay at the Shaligram Hotel in the Patan area of Kathmandu. The hotel has many desirable features, including its set-back from a noisy and dusty road and its proximity to Durbar Square, a World Heritage Site. The staff is friendly and consistently helpful; the cost is certainly reasonable; and most of the rooms are spacious. The rooms in the “old” wing are large as well. In contrast to the many appealing features, the hotel does not provide shampoo or hair dryers and the bars of soap are miniscule. Please be sure to avoid the rooms on the first floor of the new wing. They are close to the reception and all other guests must pass these rooms. The rooms on the upper three floors of the new wing are much better, but there is no elevator. Breakfast is included in the price at the adjacent Manny’s restaurant, which also serves lunch and dinner. The wi fi is free but not always available. The electricity will occasionally go off for a few minutes but this is an area-wide problem not limited to the Shaligram. On the whole, this is a good place to stay while in Kathmandu. I have no reluctance in recommending it.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor of the new (or rear) building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
sahsasia, Marketing & Sales at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review of Shaligram Hotel. I have looked through all your points carefully and will definitely strive every day to improve more and more. We have just transitioned from catering to long term guests as a serviced apartment, into a small hotel hosting guests for short or long terms. (please note: we do provide hair dryers on request).
Again I thank you for sparing some of your valuable time to review the hotel.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Shaligram. Great apartment, with a lovely view and great light, fully equipped kitchen, very helpful staff. I travel to Nepal often for work, and from now on this will be, hands down, my place of choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
sahsasia, Director of Sales at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for sparing your valuable time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you back here soon. At your service as always.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I visited the Shaligram for a 4 day visit to Kathmandu. The property is literally an oasis in the city. The property is beautifully manicured and the rooms are large and well appointed with modern furniture that you would see in a European hotel. I was frankly surprised and how well priced the room rate was for the type of property that it is. The staff was amazing. They were always very helpful, arranged for a driver to take us on a tour of the cites and made sure we felt at home. I would definitely recommend this hotel. We will stay there again on our next visit for sure.

Room Tip: I recommend rooms in the new building and on a top floor just for the views. They have balconies an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your much appreciated views on Shaligram Hotel. We are happy that we could make your stay here comfortable. We are trying harder every day to make our guests feel at home and not have to worry about day to day matters while visiting this beautiful country.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

As a first time visitor to Nepal, I stayed at the Shaligram Hotel for one month for work. I stayed in the newly constructed earthquake resistant building in a top floor suite. I loved the terrace and beautiful view my room offered. My suite had a cozy living area outfitted with a sink, small refrigerator, tea kettle and toaster. All the furniture has a modern, streamlined aesthetic which I liked very much. The bedroom was very comfortable with a clean en suite bathroom where the shower provided great water pressure. The bathroom had modern amenities as in a 5-star hotel. The bed had one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on in a hotel, and the pillows are big and soft -- not lumpy or hard as you find in some hotels. A complimentary issue of The Himalayan Times is delivered daily to your room.

Aside from the amenities and accommodation, my rating is based on the extremely attentive staff that always greeted me with a smile and met my every request. Even in advance of my arrival, the hotel owner when out of his way to answer all my questions and even tried to get a local nano SIM card for me before I landed. Upon arrival, I was greeted by friendly staff who did not miss a single detail settling me in. The hotel owner was keen in wanting to know if I was comfortable and if the complimentary wi-fi worked consistently, and insisted that he know if any small detail that could make my stay more enjoyable. He even assisted me with some small requests in relation to my work, going above and beyond duty to be kind and of help. I've never encountered a hotel owner/manager like him.

During my short stay, I observed small improvements made on the premises, including additional hotspots for wi-fi, telephone access on the main floor for guests, etc. On numerous occasions, staff arranged for car rides for me and negotiated the taxi fare in advance for me. During rainy evenings, the security guard accompanied me with an umbrella to and from the on-site restaurant. The management and cleaning staff are very hardworking and some of the best I've ever encountered. The kindness I encountered was incredible and something I'll always cherish. The staff went out of their way to help me, and towards the end, I felt like family. They were genuinely interested in making me happy, rare I think for the hotel industry at large. Towards the end of my stay, my husband joined me and he too was "wowed" by the hospitality and kindness of the staff.

Shaligram is located in a nice area of Kathmandu called Jawalakhel. Fruit vendors flank one side of the entry road to the property. The hotel also is conveniently located near a gym, sauna, massage and swimming pool facility that is in the same compound as the hotel. The onsite restaurant, Manny's, is very nice and open from 8am to 10pm. I enjoyed great breakfasts and a daily mango lassi (delicious), with friendly, smiling staff.

Unequivocally, I recommend Shaligram Hotel to visitors to Nepal. You will feel like family here.

Room Tip: Room 30 on top floor offers a great terrace and scenic view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
sahsasia, Marketing & Sales at Shaligram Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Madame,

Thank you for your excellent review. We are glad you and Sir enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I hope your flight back home went smoothely. It was a pleasure hosting you. I hope to see you in the future.

Marketing & Reservations

Been to Shaligram Hotel? Share your experiences!