“Good value hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Nagarkot
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
“Good value hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

If you would like to run away of urban Kathmandu, it is a perfect location for you.
It has superb view of the surrounding mountains. For us the moisty weather does not allow the clear view.
You should try the food as well.

Only problem is that the electricity is out for several (12) hours a day.
Wifi at the reception.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed at Niva Niwa Lodge the night of July 9th 2012. I was given Room Number 9 on the highest level. When I first entered the room, I had this creepy, uncomfortable feeling that someone is looking at me. I tried to shrug it off, perhaps the room and furniture were old. The owner and staff were all very friendly like what all reviewers said, but being friendly does not equate to being good or honest. They also kept offerring me black tea. I drank one, but declined further offers as I know I would have difficulty sleeping after drinking black tea, but the owner reassured me and said "Oh no, over here, you will sleep like a baby". I slept at about 9pm, and surely, like said, slept like a baby. I didn't wake for toilet trips, didn't hear a thing, was totally dead until 5am when my alarm clock rang. Then came the time for payment. I took a look at my wallet and only 4 pieces of one USD notes were left, I knew immediately something was amiss. I told my guide. We lodge a police report. The police came and search the room. We found one of the windows unlocked, and wire mesh cut at both corners where you can stick a finger to unlock the latches. It was deduced that someone came in through the window while I was sleeping and took some money from my wallet which was lying on the sofa. I suspect they only took some money, in the hope that you won't notice, or in the hope that they will not pursue it was it was very little money taken. At the police station the owner claimed the mesh was cut before I came, but didn't provide further details of what happened, why the mesh was cut. When asked why wasn't the mesh repaired? He claimed no crime happened at his lodge before, and his staff were all honest, one can sleep with windows open and door unlocked, there is no need to repair. He also mentioned that his staff are relatives of police. What I want to do here is warn anyone who is going to stay in this lodge to be high on your alert, make sure all the windows are locked. And if you find window mesh cut or broken, please reject the room and ask for another room. Yes, I agree with all reviewers that the view was majestic, it was truly amazing, however it was an expensive stay, as someone helped himself to a big tip of USD 260 from my wallet!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

this hotel is located at the top of Nagarkot hill, it has a great location in Nagarkot, we can see Langtang Chain clearly, watch birds, relax, watch superb sunrise and sunset. the hotel architecture is original and inventive.
Negative: mattresses a bit old and very hard bed. the hotel accommodations need renewal

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

This hotel has a great location at the top of Nagarkot to view the Himalayas and the sunrise. We were fortunate enough that the skies cleared somewhat in the afternoon to view the mountains and we awoke to a great sunrise. Our room was dated, very hard bed and bathroom was dirty. No bottled water provided. Although the hotel has its own generator, the lighting in rooms is limited. Breakfast buffet was acceptable. This hotel seems to cater to large groups who seem to monopolize the staff's attention. Very cold the night we stayed here and there was a heater in the room and lots of blankets.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed all over NEPAL and have travelled extensively in Asia and elsewhere. This hotel was the most expensive we stayed at $41+tax. Hotel is located in a prime spot in Nagarkot with awesome Himalaya views (on the clear days!) -a 'mock-chalet' style affair catering for primarily (90-95%+) Japanese day tours. We got room 115 - huge with Western bathrom/hot water seating area 3 beds (all hard nepalese) - enormous patio overlooking Himalayas. In Febrary nights are cold - extra blankets/duvets and heater were supplied. Power cuts were very frequent and wifi (reception area only) was then unavailable (even though Cheap Eateries in Nagarkot Continued to offer WIFI during the same power cut!!!). Buffet dinner (550Rp) was luke warm and again focused on Japanese tastes.. though they did not appear too happy with it! Breakfast was also Japanses style - cold noodle soup/cold toast etc... We ate hot fresh food and drinks at Himalayan Heart down in Nagarkot at less than Half this price! Management is non-existent - Manager just floats about.The unfortunate staff are not coached and left alone to do their best - they do try.. but Hotel needs a proper Hotel Manager who understand Western expectations at these prices. I assume Day-Trip Japanese (aged 40-70+) often do NOT review this hotel as it is a package deal. IF you can walk in and get a room deal then try it!

Room Tip: Suites in block with patio!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbeck, Niedersachsen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I love Nagarkot. Its a magical place with its divine mountain view and ofcourse magnificent Sunset and Sunrise view. There is no doubt that Niva Niwa Lodge makes its even better with its hospitality takes you to next level. Friendly people, magical food, havenly environment.... anyway my fav. spot. hope you enjoy it as well.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed in Niva Niwa just for one night, however; it was an unforgettable experience.

As we arrived at the lodge, the friendly staff welcomed us with milk tea which was warm and tasty. The food was simple but yum. The room was big and clean, basic but homely. The bathroom was OK but its floor was freaking cold so it's better to wear a pair of slipper to step in. The water was lukewarm with small stream. It was cold at night but heater was provided though it may not workable anytime when power failure occurs. The balcony outside the room was a perfect spot to have a clear view of Himalaya range as well as fascinating sunrise, and that was what we came to Nagakot for.

In the public area, wifi was provided and there’s an in-door camp fire where we can have BBQ and to warm up our body. The lounge near the entrance was cozy enough for us to have some reads and to relax after the trek in the mountains. If you get time lingering outside the lodge at night, remember to raise your head since you will probably indulge in the tranquil starry night sky.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Niva Niwa Lodge? Share your experiences!