“Their only focus is BBQ.... which means I was disappointed.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 189 Restaurants in Conway
Cuisines: Barbecue
Clinton, Oklahoma
“Their only focus is BBQ.... which means I was disappointed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

The BBQ was great. Great selection of BBQ sauces - 7 different BBQ sauces. Potato salad was really good. The choice of sides was disappointing. No fried okra, French fries / curly fries. No fried anything. I was disgusted when my salad came out with a packaged dressing, and Kraft at that. No pickles and onions to go with the meat. I've never been to a BBQ place that didn't give you pickles and onions. This being an award winning BBQ place I expected them to have and have great everything that goes with BBQ. Not so impressed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Canyon Country, California
“I'm going through withdrawal...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

...I live in California, but for the past four years, while my son was in college at nearby Hendrix College, we became "regulars" at Whole Hog Cafe. After that first visit, we made sure to have at least one (OK...usually it was two or three) meals at Whole Hog every time we visited. We were so crazed that we'd stop there on the way to the airport to get one last "fix" for the road (and the 3-hour flight home). However, earlier this year they put a Whole Hog in at the Airport, so now other fans can load up right there!

My favorite meat item was the brisket -- it was always moist and tender, and the portions were just right. The pulled pork and pulled chicken are also delicious, whether you get them in a sandwich or on a plate (hint: the plates come with choice of two sides, whereas the sandwiches are served on their own. If you want sides -- and who wouldn't? -- order the plate and ask them to put the meat on a bun. I think it may save a bit of $$). My son and his friends loved the nachos, too. You have your choice of six different sauces (on the table), ranging from sweet to very spicy. All are good (I finally settled on a mix of #1 and #5 -- both thick and sweet).

However, the best thing on the menu (in my opinion) is the potato salad!! I think it's sour cream-based, and just...really unique and delicious. I tried to pry the recipe out of them, but they wouldn't budge. :-) The cole slaw and beans are also very good.

Service is top notch -- we were always greeted with a smile by whomever was at the counter. The atmosphere is casual -- tables and booths -- and very comfortable. The Conway location is large, so we never had a problem finding a place to sit, even when large groups were there. There's plenty of parking, too.

Yes, I am going through withdrawals...

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta
“need gluten free meal?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We ate there last time we were in Conway. Pulled pork was among the best we've had. Potato salad was different but fabulous (sour cream based). Although we are not gluten intolerant, we needed gluten free take out for a re-union dinner. They have a list of gluten free items on the menu (and what to avoid).

Will definitely return next time we are in Conway.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great Barbecue!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We found this restaurant through Trip Advisor reviews as we were traveling through the area and were not disappointed. My husband and I shared a combo platter with brisket, pulled pork, ribs, coleslaw, potato salad, beans and a roll. All were delicious. The ribs and pulled pork were among the best we have ever eaten. Service was quick, and we were back on the road in a short time. Our only regret is that we don't live nearby, as we would love to go back to enjoy more of Whole Hog's barbecue!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Corning, Arkansas
“They truly go "Whole Hog"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Great food, great service. I look forward to going there again the next time I'm in Conway.

Visited June 2012