“Best catfish I've had in many years in a state famous for it” 4 of 5 stars

702 Arkansas 56, Calico Rock, AR
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Batesville, AR
“Best catfish I've had in many years in a state famous for it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I recently visited after I had eaten at the cafe with a group a couple of weeks earlier. The food is down-home, good country food. My wife ordered the catfish and the serving was so generous, she had to share a piece with me. It was light, crispy, and delicious, cooked just right and the breading was tasty and complemented the fish. My wife did not care for the pinto beans, which were spiced with an Italian herb; it didn't bother me at all and I enjoyed them. I ordered the chicken fried steak, and was surprised to receive a hamburger patty that was breaded and fried. It was tasty and cooked just right, but I was expecting steak. Some folks call this mock chicken fried steak or give some other name to it. If it isn't steak, they should change the name. I don't usually notice canned green beans, but these were doctored with some sort of pepper and they were really good. The crinkle-cut fries were crispy, light, and the portion was generous. We both tried the coconut pie, and it was Grandma-worthy. In my first visit, I had the haystack, a breakfast plate with hash browns smothered in gravy. The gravy is delicious, but next time I will order it on the side. My colleagues ordered a hamburger and chicken sandwich along with pie and they all seemed satisfied. The service both times was friendly, the waitresses were nice and the food was delivered promptly and refills were offered. We will definitely return.

• Visited November 2012