“Order the BBQ!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
HAMMOND
“Order the BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband had a taste for a BLT and a Chocolate Shake. We were told Gene's was the best in town. I saw it was a BBQ joint so I looked at the menu and there was a BLT. Hubby got his BLT and I ordered the Pulled Pork BBQ Dinner. Went to McDonald's for the shakes. Don't be in a hurry to get your food. It took some time for our take out orders to get ready. We went back to our motel room to eat. My dinner was delicious and my hubby said he wished he would have ordered BBQ pork once I offered him a taste of mine!

Visited October 2013

Hollywood
“BBQ done right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

well traveling on the interstate got off to get gas, saw this little country looking restaurant, saw cars there, looked inside saw locals eating there so I looked at the menu. Rib lunch think it was $6.99 plus beverage gave it a shot. Glad I did beat the dinner I had on Beale St in Memphis hands down. Goes to show you don't judge a book by it's cover. It's a simple place with simply good food.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oklahoma
“Good catfish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Just ate at Gene's in Brinkley. On our way home from Pigeon Forge and needed a break from driving for the night. Place was recommended from the motel personnel. I had pulled pork. It wasn't very good but my husband had catfish and it was very good, so if you stop try the fish not the BBQ. The young lady that waited our table was a sweetheart.

Visited September 2013
LR
“LUNCH AT GENE'S JULY05,2013.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was my first time in this restaurant and the last time.

I walk in and the man at the table said do you want to eat in or carrier out.

My server gave me a menu and said do you know what you want.

The service was very poor.

What happen to my name is and my I help you.

There are some places in the South that will never change because the peoples willn't change.

Yes, I did give her a tip.

carl

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Delicious Catfish Everytime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have been to Gene's probably 15 to 20 times over the past few years......always stopping in 2 or 3 times a year when I drive thru Arkansas. This is an old mom and pop type place from the past that a man from Alabama told me had the best catfish fillets he had ever eaten. My first time there was in 2005 and the catfish was as good as advertised. This is the place where all the locals meet to eat and everything is fresh and cooked to order. I would definitely recommend the catfish(3 to 5 pieces depending on appetite), french fries, and homemade cole slaw. They will throw in fresh sliced onion, a cherry pepper, and pickles. If you like catfish, it doesn't get any better than Gene's. They also have homemade pepper sauce that they sell in jars to go and if you like pepper sauce it is unmatched. Gene and his staff are always polite and friendly and on more than one occasion he even thanked me for coming in even though he didn't know me from Adam's housecat!

• Visited November 2012