“Does Not Live Up to its Reputation” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 33 restaurants in Blytheville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Leinfelden-Echterdingen, Germany
“Does Not Live Up to its Reputation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

One of my best friends grew up in Jonesboro, AR, and I have been hearing about the Dixie Pig for decades. She has always raved about how the BBQ is so good that it does not need sauce, that her parents grew up courting there, and that we absolutely must not miss the world famous Dixie Pig! When I finally arrived, I found that today's restaurant does not live up to it's reputation from yesteryear.

I ordered the pig sandwich, Dixie Pig's most popular item, and a side of baked beans. I'm a 5'4" woman and this meal absolutely did not satisfy me (photo below). As soon as we got back to the car I opened and ate a granola bar so that I would feel full. As others have reported, the BBQ is dry and crumbly. I honestly could not believe the previous reviews because in my experience, there is no way BBQ can be dry. However, this meal was. Without the sauce my friend claimed I would not need, dinner would not have held together. I was terribly disappointed.

However, my husband ordered a platter and he was quite satisfied. He also had a piece of pecan pie with vanilla ice cream and left very happy!

The high point of our visit was the service. The wait staff was exceptionally friendly, helpful, and service was very quick. The restaurant also features photos of recent graduates, new babies, and members of the community. There is even a little wall plaque to commemorate the men's morning coffee group. As we were eating dinner, the waitresses were setting the tables for the next morning's coffee group. This restaurant is clearly well loved by its community and likes to show off the hometown folks! That created a special feeling the minute you walked in.

Although there was not much of a crowd on the Wednesday evening around 7:00 pm, one local family did come in. They didn't need menus - they knew exactly what they wanted to order without looking. So, Dixie Pig remains a favorite with at least a few locals.

I would not go back for the food, but the service and tradition may be worth the trip for some. The Dixie Pig is a few miles from the highway, so if you're just passing through plan a few extra minutes to get there.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

50% Recommend
Blytheville, Arkansas, United States
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I had heard really good things about this place and when I went it was nothing at all special. They only had this vinegar like BBQ sauce and the meat was dry. Didn't even get that much food for the money.

Blytheville, Arkansas
“you can do better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

not the best in town, bbq was fatty and grizzly, very dry, expensive, better bbq at benny Bob's,

“Great BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

The BBQ was excellent. I had the pig sandwich, fries and onion rings. The sandwich/with slaw and sauce were excellent. The portion size was too small for me. Service was exceptional, down home and friendly.

Saint Peters
“Good pig sandwich, great sauce, great onion rings.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Pig sandwich was very good, although a bit on the small side. I ordered the large pig sandwich and couldn't tell the difference between it and the regular sized sandwich, which wife and daughter ordered. The sauce is excellent, thin variety with some kick. The onion rings were large and freshly breaded. Staff was very friendly.

• Visited June 2012