“emotional and well curated” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Bentonville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of Native American History invites you to "Walk Through America's Past," where we will give you a glimpse into what life was like for America's first inhabitants. The museum is divided into five different time periods that will guide you through the constantly changing lives of the Native Americans, as seen through their artifacts . Our displays feature relics that date from over 14,000 years old to historic times. Come visit our museum and enjoy seeing some of the finest treasures ever created by early craftsmen.Schools and groups are welcomed, call to make reservations. Handicap Accessible
Rogers, Arkansas
“emotional and well curated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

the whole place is such a labor of love by the whole staff. It is respectful of native american cultures and shows a deep connection to teaching the vistiors about indigenous peoples. My brother is a professor of Indain Studies and was so impressed with it. I can reccommend it with confidence and pleasure.

Visited May 2012

Lowell, Arkansas
“Hidden Treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

A few months ago my darlings had a Friday off from school for a teacher in-service. I saw this as a great opportunity for spending quality time together at home. By 9am I began to hear the whining, complaining, and infighting that sometimes comes with having a teenager and 2 tweens. By 11am I was about ready to tear my hair out and had already attempted to lock the children out of the house. Unfortunately I fumbled turning the deadbolt and they pushed back into the house before I could get the lock turned. There was only one thing to do – go on a field trip.
This began our adventure to the Museum of Native American History - sans the 15 year old who declared her day was better spent with friends. After what felt like an eternity driving to Bentonville with two children belting out “Red Solo Cup” as loud as they could, we finally arrived at 202 S.W. “O” Street. The littles were enthralled with the replica teepee set-up at the entrance to the museum. They couldn’t wait to get inside and see what more they could explore.
The museum itself was beautiful inside with hard-wood floors, murals, well-lit display cases, and Native American music playing in the background certainly enhanced the ambience of the place. The exhibits were categorized in sequential order from the paleo period up to the historic period. There were many exhibits that were intriguing and the kids loved playing in the boxes of arrow heads near the front entrance as well as getting their picture taken with an enormous mastodon skull from the Paleo period. I asked the littles what their favorite displays were. My son loved the arrow head displays as well as the displays showing early tools of the Native Americans. I wasn’t sure if he was admiring the craftsmanship or how effective said tools would be in causing major damage to his sister’s room. Being the diva that she is, my daughter loved the clothing which included beautifully beaded moccasins as well as fantastic Indian headdresses/war bonnets.
I really enjoyed my trip to the Museum of Native American History and plan on taking my husband and dad soon. My dad in particular loves museums which is, I suppose, where I’ve developed my own love for history. Or maybe it’s because he loves the fact that he looks similar to Crazy Horse and can spin a great yarn that somehow, in some farfetched way, we’re related to a great Native American Chief – which I doubt. This museum is, in my opinion, a must see!

Visited March 2012
Bentonville, Arkansas
16 attraction reviews
“Worth stepping off the beaten path!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

It's a great facility! I attended a luncheon in the meeting room for a local organization. The teepee makes it easy to find!!

Willow Springs, Missouri
“great small museum visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Our second visit to this site and still a fine experience. Items displayed and the actual displays are really exceptionally excellent. Staff is knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. Hand held 'guides' to the numbered displays are useful for those not so informed on the details and one can go at their own speed. 1.5-3 hrs are possible depending on level of interest. AND IT IS FREE

Bella Vista, Arkansas, United States
3 attraction reviews
“From Head Pots to Foot Wear”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Museum of Native American History, in Bentonville, AR, has a beautiful display of Native American artifacts. The head pots are very interesting. Some of the items must be very, very rare, due to the difficulty in preserving them. The leather clothing is an example of this.

The museum is run by an archealogist. The collection is an authentic display of Native American creativity, intellectual talent, and wisdom.

Come visit soon. They add new items on a regular basis. You won't be disappointed.