“Perfect stop for Painted Desert/Petrified Forest visit” 5 of 5 stars

La Posada Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   303 E 2nd Street, Winslow, AZ 86047   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Winslow
Tucson
“Perfect stop for Painted Desert/Petrified Forest visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

A lovingly restored Harvey House full of artistic and historic charm. Would love to return in the summer to enjoy the gardens. Wonderful dining incorporating local foods, get a window seat to watch the trains pass by.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Saraucus, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

While on a road trip to Phoenix, Az. we stopped in a little town called Winslow. We had heard so much of "The Standing of the Corner" through friends. So, we've decided to stay and a find a decent place to rest.

Fortunately,we checked into a motel at the end of town. But the unfortunate part was, we didn't look hard enough for a better place, or planned our trip carefully. If we had know that there was a grand hotel like " The La Posada " hiding around this town. We would have made reservations ahead of time.

If there was a story to be told, this hotel would tell it to you. We felt sad that we could not refund the other hotel for this one. We couldn't have anyways because this hotel was booked. I could see why. It's an amazing spectacle.

As you drive up to "The La Posada" you get a sense of wonder. The Christmas lights outside was a good touch. Entering the hotel you are welcomed by lovely music played by a local musician by the name of KHENT K. ANANTAKAI. He smiled at me and said " Welcome to the La Posada Hotel ". My friend and I were enchanted from that moment on.

While greeted happily, we took a tour with every intention to learn the history of this place. For the couple of hours spent exploring we enjoyed every second of it. Next time we will be sure to plan a trip ahead of time. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Just the exploring is worth the trip.

From the paintings, artifacts, fireplace, and music filling the air. I'd say this is definitely a gem in the rough.........We will surely be back. Hopefully, that guitarist will still be there. I also certainly hope he is well compensated. Because, he is definitely worth it. If the hotel can sing, then it sings through his music. Also, Khent K. Anantakai's debut CD is terrific!!! Thanks for the memories Khent.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
san jose, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

We were forced off the road due to a recent snowstorm and ended up in Winslow, Arizona. While driving there the radio station we listened to repeatedly announced the famous "La Posada Hotel". As it was late and we were tired, we decided to look for La Posada, which came into view soon after we entered the town.

The outside of the colonial style hotel looked gorgeous at night with courtyard and trees lit up with Christmas lights and we decided to stay. Once inside the building, almost every space was decorated with southwestern art and other more surrealist type art by the artist who apparently lives in and runs the hotel.

The best thing about this hotel was the art and books throughout, even in our room. Unfortunately, the amenities were very poor--no phone, no microwave, no refrigerator, very small bath tub, very loud heater, very uncomfortable bed with wheels, which rolled and bumped into the wall every time you turned in bed.

A couple of times we ran across the aloof owners/artists who never had a word to say, even when greeted.

The food at the Turquoise Room Restaurant in the hotel was okay but very expensive. Also the service was a bit haughty. I kept thinking did I somehow pass through a space and time warp and end up in the Ritz in London.

Overall, I'd say once you see the art at this place, you might want to stay because how often do you get to be Alice in Wonderland. If you're looking for comfort and friendliness, find one of the nicer motels in town!

Unfortuna

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

I live in Los Angeles and drive to Santa Fe once a year. La Posada's restaurant, The Turquoise Room was highly recommended by a foodie friend, so I stopped there last year, both for dinner and lunch. Food was exquisite. The hotel ambiance is beautiful, warm and welcoming. It is like staying at the home of a kind and wealthy friend who appreciates music, art, good food and architectural beauty. This is what the owners (who purchased the hotel 12 years ago and are still reconstructing it) intended.

I usually travel with my well-mannered dog, a Doberman who is also a Therapy Dog. The owners love dogs, and welcome them, charging only $10 extra for their inclusion. There is a large and attractive "doggy area" outside the hotel. The rooms, each unique, are all individually decorated with antiques, spotlessly clean and beautiful. The gift shop is filled with tasteful items, all of which are well-priced. The public areas are absolutely exquisite! Everyone I came in contact with, from the maintenance workers to the housekeepers, sales clerks, restaurant staff and owners, was warm and friendly.

The Turquoise Room, managed by talented chef John Sharpe, serves excellent food. I have had 3 dinners, 3 breakfasts and 2 lunches there........all superb. The previous reviewer mentions his disappointment at the "Cassoulet". This dish is a staple special on the menu, and I found it to be delicious. It is not the traditional French Cassoulet, and the menu states that up front. It is a tasty and beautifully presented combination of a Duck Leg Confit, Lamb Brochette (cooked med rare or to your specification) and Spicy Elk Sausage, accompanied by Brown Tepary Beans of the region.

I could go on and on, but bottom line is this is the most wonderful hotel experience I've ever had, and I can't wait to return. It's an oasis in Winslow. There is an important history to this hotel, and upon your arrival, you are given a well written "tour" booklet detailing its history, reconstruction, and showing the beatiful details in every public room.

Khent Anantakai, the self-taught guitarist who plays just about nightly in the entry, is spectacular..........very talented and nice. It's just a pleasure to sit on one of the beautiful benches, relax and listen to him after having a fine meal in the dining room.

Room prices are extremely reasonable, considering the beauty of the accomodations.
This is not a place for people who have to be on their cell phones 24/7. It's a beautiful spot to relax, reflect and enjoy the beauty of a past time, imagining the trains (which still stop at La Posada) carrying all the luminaries of the 30's & 40's who stopped there for an overnight stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
NewYork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

Stayed @ La Posada for a couple of nights & wishe we had had a couple more. The hotel was beautiful....stayed in the east wing, nice large room with couch & chairs. Beautifully tiled bathroom with jacuzzi. This was a nice stop to go to the Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, & the Crater Rim Walk.
It was nice to have a delicious restaurant like the Turquoise room @ the hotel. We consider ourselves "foodies" since back when the term was "gourmet". The chef has mastered Southwest Cuisine, & I think he fancies himself Fred Harvey! This was the best food we encountered on our Arizona vacation.
Our suggestions for upgrades of the experience include wine glasses in rooms, along with glass water glasses, a refrigerator, & high end toiletries.
Also, A heated pool & hot tub would round out the experience...wouldn't need to leave hotel! It is also nice to unwind in hot tub after long hikes. Hope they accommodate !
The atmosphere provided by guitar player was quite romantic. It would have been nice to stroll around "museum" with glass of wine in hand, but we were told not to...something with bar regs but I suspect it was because we brought our own wine, as we saw another couple stroll by us, wine glass in hand. Additionally, the house artist is accomplished, however I found the work quite gruesome. My husband, on the other hand liked it. We are looking forward to returning & seeing upgrades & gardens in full regalia!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed overnight at La Posada in Nov. 2009. The hotel is a restoration of a Fred Harvey railroad hotel from the grand era of passenger train travel. After reading all the critical raves, I thought we were in for a real treat, but the whole experience was sadly lacking -- lots of hype, but the reality does not live up to it.

The architecture (by female architect Mary Colter) is, indeed, beautiful. The place has the feel of an old, grand Spanish Hacienda, and it must have been spectacular in its day.

November through February are not good gardening months, so the landscaping was looking sad: no flowers of any kind, and all plants looking brown and lifeless. I would imagine that, during the spring/summer, the gardens would add much to the hotel. There were several fountains -- NOT working -- around the gardens, and I imagine that when they are operational, it would enhance the environment. Unfortunately, La Posada has no "off-season" rates, so you pay the same amount whether the amenities are operational or not.

We stayed in a less expensive room in the West wing. I believe that wing was last renovated in 1997, and it sorely needed some work: dirty, smudged walls; an old, boxy 19-inch television; dead bugs inside the ceiling fan's light fixture; no soap holder in the shower; the toilet was not properly bolted (so it moved whenever you sat down); there were no curtains (the windows had built-in blinds). The bathroom was impossibly cramped, and had nowhere to put one's toilettries case. My husband said that it was "too down at the heels" for him. Someone we met said that the East wing rooms were more recently renovated, so they may be much better.

The walls and doors are paper thin, and earplugs are a necessity. We had to complain about barking from the three (!) dogs in the room next door (and we love dogs).

There is a circa-1997 wall-mounted hair dryer in the bathroom, which is a nice thought, in theory, but it's very weak and overheats after about 2 minutes of use. There are no little "sample size" toilettries provided -- our room had only 2 small soaps and a Costco-sized bottle of Pert 2in1 shampoo; no hand cream or shower cap. Bed linens were clean, but I agree with another reviewer that the "old fashioned bedspread" is hard to keep clean in a hotel context, and the blanket provided was not warm enough for November. Pillows were plentiful, but alas, they were the cheapest foam variety that get harder and harder as the night goes on...

Perhaps my biggest problem with the place is that everything, including the restoration, was done without an eye to the details. Mary Colter would be LIVID!

Some examples: in the library (a delightful room, despite its faults) the stunning turquoise and gold leaf ceiling has sawn-off bolts sticking through it, where a lowered ceiling had been added when the building was used as railroad offices. Why not cut off the bolts flush with the ceiling and then plaster and paint the repaired portions to match? All around the hotel (including in the library) there were exposed electrical conduits (white metal squared-off tubes that building codes require to cover exposed wiring less than 8 feet from the floor). These look cheap and heinous in a grand old historical building. While I know how expensive electrical work can be, when one is "saving" an architectural treasure, one should not be using exposed conduits, except in non-public areas such as storage closets, supply rooms, kitchens, etc. There are cracked floor tiles throughout the property, and many other places where grout repairs have been made using a non-matching grout color.

One of the saving graces of the place is -- as another reviewer said -- the wonderful classical guitar playing that is heard in the entry hall and the library. With a fire in the fireplace and that music playing, sitting in the library is a terrific thing to do (just ignore those exposed conduits)!

We had dinner in the Tuquoise Room, and it was very disappointing. (Sure, it's the "best place in town", but that's because the only other places in Winslow are Church's Chicken and a few greasy taco stands.)

Again, I had high expectations after reading the chef's newsletter provided at check-in and the menu. Alas, it was "all show and no go". Prices are at the "fine dining" level: $10-$15 for appetizers; $25-$29 for main dishes, so I expected a certain level of consistency and quality, which were not there. The dinner rolls were rather dry (perhaps leftovers from the previous day?) and the butter had been left at room temperature for too long, and had absorbed some "off" flavors.

My husband had the deconstructed cassoulet and I had the Wild-wild-wild platter. The cassoulet's beans were very tasty, the duck confit was fine, but the sausage was overcooked and tasted like a hot dog, and the lamb was gristly and dry. My quail was served on the bone (most quality chefs de-bone it) and it was a bit overcooked and dry; the elk lacked seasoning, and the tamale with wild boar was ok (again, a bit of salt and pepper in the kitchen would have done wonders).

Maybe it was the chef's night off, but that's no excuse! Any professional chef would agree with me. If you're charging full price, diners should get full value. Our meal would've gotten its cook kicked off Top Chef in the early rounds! On the plus side, the service was prompt and courteous -- the problems are in the kitchen, not in the front of the house.

Overall, my recommendation would be to see the hotel, have a drink in the bar, and then go to Flagstaff to have dinner and spend the night.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

La Posada is a real gem of a hotel in a town which otherwise has little going for it. An historic railroad hotel designed by Mary Jane Colter 80 years ago and saved and renovated by the current owners, it is a refreshing change from chain hotels. Restoration has been done sympathetically and the public rooms are stunning, including open fires and rocking chairs. The room was a decent size with a very large bed and views over the railway and adjacent garden (the railroad noise was not much of a distraction!).
The restaurant in the hotel, the Turquoise Room served the best food I have eaten in the USA on the four visits I have made, sophisticated and delicious.
Overall the hotel is worth a detour, indeed it may be the only reason to go to Winslow as the only other "attraction" (a tribute park to the Eagles' Take it Easy) has little to recommendit.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Posada Hotel? Share your experiences!